Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Skeld-the -wicked

Default Iíve been interested in a used Reference kit at a local music store.

Itís a 5 pc Scarlet Fade 10,12 Rack toms, 14,16 Floor toms and 22 x 18 Kick.
    The situation is I would have to sell my Masters MMX 6 pc .
    My question to to you Ref owners is this worth doing ?
    I have hanging floor toms with my Masters and I have never been a fan of them. The price of the Ref (gulp) is $1,500.00 which to me is unbelievable. The problem is all the scamming lowballers on C/L . Itís on Madison Wi and Chicago C/L. Maybe Iím just dreaming to expect the price Iím asking.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Pearl Masters Premium Diamond Burst 6pc
    Pearl Masters Red Mahogany Classic 6pc
    14 x 6.5 Phosphor Bronze FF Snare + Red Wine Shell.
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

2. Registered User

I paid $2,000 for my six piece Reference in Piano Black used last year. 8-10-12-14-16-22. I felt I got a decent deal.

3. Chomp, Chomp

Paul, have you seen pictures? I know you’d rather have toms with legs. You’ve mentioned it in the past, so I know it’s important to you. I know there are deals out there, but too often if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. How far of a drive is it for you to see the kit?
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

4. Registered User

phx-az since 1978. The best sunsets occur during the monsoon season June-Sept.

I own a Ref kit. My brother in law has an MMX kit. Both are great Pearl kits indeed but I would never sell an MMX for a Ref. The MMX just has that great maple tone and are revered as some of the best sounding drums of that era. Refs do sound amazing and Pearl still makes them. Tough decision. Have you had a chance to play some Refs in a practice or gig setting?
    "Now just a minute. This is a press conference. The last thing I want to do is answer a lot of questions."

United States Army General Maynard M. Mitchell
    Press briefing. Korea 1950

5. Skeld-the -wicked

It’s 15 miles away . It probably won’t happen anyway due to used kit values. It’s only worth what someone is willing to pay . I would probably regret selling it . I have always wanted a Ref but maybe the timing isn’t right.
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

6. th droids yerlookn4

seriosly, if you really need floor tom legs look into ludwigs atlas mounts ..no drilling required and if you dont like em ..take em back off , no harm , no foul

7. KCCO

The lugs on the drums in the photo do not look like Reference lugs, You probably should investigate further.
    Drum Workshop 6 Piece Collectors Series in Ruby Glass
    Various Snares
    Trick Pro 1V Double Pedal Black Widow Edition
    Motion Pro Throne

Roland TD 50 KV
    Trick Pro 1V Double Pedal Black Widow Edition
    Ahead Spinal Glide Throne

8. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by skeld-the-wicked View Post
    It’s 15 miles away . It probably won’t happen anyway due to used kit values. It’s only worth what someone is willing to pay . I would probably regret selling it . I have always wanted a Ref but maybe the timing isn’t right.
    You could always low ball the guy and see how badly he wants to sell the drums. Selling your drums would be a pita and as you know, they are really nice drums.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    seriosly, if you really need floor tom legs look into ludwigs atlas mounts ..no drilling required and if you dont like em ..take em back off , no harm , no foul
    The Atlas hardware is very cool and no holes to drill. I’m not a fan of the basket type holders.

Quote Originally Posted by Up2Speed View Post
    The lugs on the drums in the photo do not look like Reference lugs, You probably should investigate further.
    That’s because they aren’t. Those are Skeld’s MMX’s. Look closer. The toms have BB3 holders and no legs. They aren’t a fade and definitely not scarlet.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

9. Registered User

Since you gig quite a bit the Regular Reference are heavy drums to haul. I would want a Reference pure kit to gig
    Session prestige select 14x 12 tom Shell with badge Teal available

Diamond Burst MMX 4 Sale Black hardware 12,14,16,22 PM

10. Playing since 1976

It’s a 5 pc Scarlet Fade 10,12 Rack toms, 14,16 Floor toms and 22 x 18 Kick.
    The situation is I would have to sell my Masters MMX 6 pc .
    My question to to you Ref owners is this worth doing ?
    I have hanging floor toms with my Masters and I have never been a fan of them. The price of the Ref (gulp) is $1,500.00 which to me is unbelievable. The problem is all the scamming lowballers on C/L . It’s on Madison Wi and Chicago C/L. Maybe I’m just dreaming to expect the price I’m asking.
    Other than the hanging floor toms, do you like your Masters Paul? If that's the only issue, I can help you get the parts you need for converting the hanging floor toms to traditional floor toms. As 2 basses and Marv said, it won't hurt your drums to convert over, but it will cost a little. I just priced it out... it would cost somewhere between $200 and $350, depending on what floor tom legs you choose, and how well we shop around
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

11. Skeld-the -wicked

Default Ref or not?

Thx guys for your input. I have decided to just keep what I have for now . Yeah right
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

12. Registered User

Thx guys for your input. I have decided to just keep what I have for now . Yeah right
    For what it's worth, a MMX kit is one of the few sets that I would consider selling my Reference kit for. They are just hard drums to beat. (in addition to being hard to find.)