Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. mean, nasty, & tired

Default Opinions on Pearl Decade Maple 13-16-24

Iím looking at a great deal on a used Decade shell pack in the above sizes. Any feedback from those that have experience with this kit in these sizes would be appreciated. The only sticking point for me is the 6 lug 16Ē floor tom with the thin stock hoops. I looked around on the internet yesterday; couldnít find any 2.3 mm hoops with 6 lugs in that diameter (I would definitely want to upgrade the hoops if possible). Thanks in advance.

2. Rockin' the Cosmos..

one of my friends bought a used 13,16,24 in Brown Burst recently ... the stock heads aren't great .. tuned up with his tunebot sounds pretty good, but better heads will make it sound better .. you can get 16" 6 lug 2.3mm hoops from here .. took me seconds to find through google search

3. SUPREME MODULATOR

Quote Originally Posted by gish View Post
    I’m looking at a great deal on a used Decade shell pack in the above sizes. Any feedback from those that have experience with this kit in these sizes would be appreciated. The only sticking point for me is the 6 lug 16” floor tom with the thin stock hoops. I looked around on the internet yesterday; couldn’t find any 2.3 mm hoops with 6 lugs in that diameter (I would definitely want to upgrade the hoops if possible). Thanks in advance.
    Assuming the 1.6mm hoops are round and flat, 2.3mm hoops arent necessarily going to make the drum sound better. One advantage to 6-lug hoops on 16"... the drums hold their tuning better at low tension. Fewer lugs means more tension per rod to acheive the same pitch on an otherwise comparable drum with 8 lugs.

If you like the drums dont get too hung up on the "unprofessional" image associated with lower lug counts.
    It really doesnt matter as much as manufacturers would have you believe. Lug count is just one of a few ways to make cheap drums "high end" drums by adding 20 dollars worth of zinc castings.