Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. mean, nasty, & tired

Default Opinions on Pearl Decade Maple 13-16-24

Iím looking at a great deal on a used Decade shell pack in the above sizes. Any feedback from those that have experience with this kit in these sizes would be appreciated. The only sticking point for me is the 6 lug 16Ē floor tom with the thin stock hoops. I looked around on the internet yesterday; couldnít find any 2.3 mm hoops with 6 lugs in that diameter (I would definitely want to upgrade the hoops if possible). Thanks in advance.

2. Rockin' the Cosmos..

one of my friends bought a used 13,16,24 in Brown Burst recently ... the stock heads aren't great .. tuned up with his tunebot sounds pretty good, but better heads will make it sound better .. you can get 16" 6 lug 2.3mm hoops from here .. took me seconds to find through google search

3. SUPREME MODULATOR

Quote Originally Posted by gish View Post
    I’m looking at a great deal on a used Decade shell pack in the above sizes. Any feedback from those that have experience with this kit in these sizes would be appreciated. The only sticking point for me is the 6 lug 16” floor tom with the thin stock hoops. I looked around on the internet yesterday; couldn’t find any 2.3 mm hoops with 6 lugs in that diameter (I would definitely want to upgrade the hoops if possible). Thanks in advance.
    Assuming the 1.6mm hoops are round and flat, 2.3mm hoops arent necessarily going to make the drum sound better. One advantage to 6-lug hoops on 16"... the drums hold their tuning better at low tension. Fewer lugs means more tension per rod to acheive the same pitch on an otherwise comparable drum with 8 lugs.

If you like the drums dont get too hung up on the "unprofessional" image associated with lower lug counts.
    It really doesnt matter as much as manufacturers would have you believe. Lug count is just one of a few ways to make cheap drums "high end" drums by adding 20 dollars worth of zinc castings.

4. Registered User

I have that exact setup 13-16-24 in the red burst finish, at our place of worship. I will say from my taste, I don't really care for the 24" bass drum. I got it because I don't have much depth to work with as far as where I sit so the shallow bass works in that sense. I ended up putting the 13" tom in storage and purchased a 10 and 12 rack tom. The 16" floor I kept. I have pinstripes as the batters and stock reso heads. The thin shells really sound nice.
    Last edited by AndrewS.; 05-01-2019 at 08:19 AM.

5. Registered User

I'm pretty partial to 24" kicks and was impressed with the kit overall. I ended up not using the pillow and outfitted the kick with a P3 coated batter and P3 Felt tone hazy reso. I'm not sure how I feel about the Optimount on the 13" tom as it seems to really interfere with the sells resonance so maybe toy around with the idea of using a snare basket for the tom if you like round resonant sounds like me. I would say this kit does a good job at being a modern take on classic sizes. All in all that kick was a winner for me and as a whole the kit was a home run. I'm a bit partial but I hope this helps Name:  IMG_0003.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  64.6 KB
    Pearl Decade Maple Brown Burst: 24x14 | 13x9 | 16x16
    Pearl Modern Utility Steel Shell Snare: 14x6.5
    Pearl M80 Snare: 10x4
    Zildjian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Fat Cat Snare Wires

6. A Passion Play ...

Sweet rig.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

7. Registered User

That kit looks great! Enjoy!

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gish View Post
    The only sticking point for me is the 6 lug 16” floor tom with the thin stock hoops.
    I was worried about this too. I’ve had issues with 6 lug drums in the past and knew that pearl also often over lubricates swivel nuts from the factory. Maybe it’s because I switched the heads from the start but, I haven’t any issues with the floor Tom holding it’s tuning. The tension rods really did feel like they held pretty solid, too. I don’t really have it cranked or anything wild it is tuned to a C with the Reso a whole step down and the batter a minor 3rd below that if memory serves correct.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TMdrums View Post
    That kit looks great! Enjoy!
    Thank you! It’s a blast!