Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
  1. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Mike St.Clair View Post
    I've heard for years that Pearl is second to none in warranty and customer service I've just never played on any that had that character I'm looking for. I bought a masters birch kit and quickly returned it for that reason. I just recently visited several major drum shops between PA and Maine. One small one was a guy who's been there 43 years (OMG!!!) and said Pearl was the best to deal with bar none. That is why you have to examine drums with a keen eye before keeping them. I had a terrible set of wrapped Starclassics with splinters sticking out from the wrap seams. I had a brand new set of Mapex Saturns with a bss drum so out of round the head wasn't close to going on. Just looked at two Gretsch Renown kits with huge star cracks in the bass drums that were supposedly defects. My Yamaha oak customs were very high quality drums, just not the right sound. I bought them for a steal, so I didn't care. Sold them quickly and made out. I had a set of Premier XPK's in 1992 or so and one of my toms went out of round while deployed in the Navy. They replaced it for me after I got back (and the year warranty expired while I was deployed).
    Now I'm back out looking after selling my Starclassic b/b's and losing like a big dog. I couldn't stand the nickel hardware and they just sat in my closet. Now that I am finally playing with a jazz band, I truly have a reason to own drums again.
    So what drums are you going to buy?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

2. Oakley Factory Pilot

I was just pointing out my experiences. Now that I'm looking at "lesser" expensive kits, I have lower expectations.
    ISO drums!!- IC pedal, Quickbeats, 16" A custom projector, 17" A med thin, K custom ride, 20" A med ride
    DW collectors, Tama SLP G bubinga, Yama oak custom, and Ludwig Acrolite snares

3. Skeld-the -wicked

Mike , checkout Musicgoround.com They are in 11 states. They ship any where in the USA.There is a store in my area that has great deals . Greenfield Wi. I laughed at the Lowered expectations thing it was either Mad Tv or Living Colour on Fox that had a weekly comedy show with that subject it was funny. No disrespect intended and most of all thank you for your service in keeping us safe.
    Last edited by skeld-the-wicked; 10-21-2018 at 09:01 AM.
    Pearl Drums
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by skeld-the-wicked View Post
    Mike , checkout Musicgoround.com They are in 11 states. They ship any where in the USA.There is a store in my area that has great deals . Greenfield Wi. I laughed at the Lowered expectations thing it was either Mad Tv or Living Colour on Fox that had a weekly comedy show with that subject it was funny. No disrespect intended and most of all thank you for your service in keeping us safe.
    +1 on Music Go Round, and Lowered Expectations (MadTV) hahaha.
    Want to Trade: My Mapex Orion 22x20 bass drum shell in Wine Burl Burst (8.5-9/10) for your 22x16 of the same

5. Oakley Factory Pilot

They closed the one near me dang it. I have seen what appear to be some nice kits for good deals there online. I have a really cool manager hook up at our GC. He has always done me right, but it would be cool to find some higher end used drums for the right money. I may have to consider downsizing, which would open a lot of options. I keep seeing a lot of guys playing one up one down, just a really hard idea for me to get used to. I do know I don't do well with two floors. I hardly ever want to twist around to do much on my 16 when I had a Catalina birch 8/10/12/14/16/22 kit. I just got a crazy deal on the 14 and already had the 16.
    Oh, thanks for the nice words. The Navy served me as much as I served this great country. Proud to be a veteran!
    ISO drums!!- IC pedal, Quickbeats, 16" A custom projector, 17" A med thin, K custom ride, 20" A med ride
    DW collectors, Tama SLP G bubinga, Yama oak custom, and Ludwig Acrolite snares