Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default May be gonna get me a Midtown

Going to meet with a 17 piece big band next week who are looking for a drummer, if things work out I'll need a kit I can take to rehearsals as my SRX is setup with silent stroke heads/L80 cymbals for practising and it would be a right ball ache to keep swapping heads. The SRX will be used for performances though! The Midtown seems perfect for this, thoughts?

I reckon its a no brainer but would be interested to hear views from anyone who's played this kit with this kind of band.

How long does it take to put this kit up and tear it down?
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

2. NO KIT TOO BIG

I'd try for something with an 18" bass drum personally, just gives a bit more thump and volume, which is definitely needed in a big band context. 18", 12", 14" is IMO the best compact big band kit.
    Name:  37954479_2065359060381141_2792377733433262080_n.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  51.1 KB
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Yamaha and Dauz Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

3. Registered User

Agree with RushDrums24!
    Name:  thumbnail.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  82.8 KB

4. Registered User

So what would be the 18" equivalent of the Midtown, including snare? Is that a Natal Cafe Racer 18" kit? Its quite a bit more expensive than the Midtown and this kit is only for rehearsals. I'm in the UK.

https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and...e-Sparkle/2JCO
    Last edited by Bodgit; 08-17-2018 at 05:21 AM.

5. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    So what would be the 18" equivalent of the Midtown, including snare? Is that a Natal Cafe Racer 18" kit? Its quite a bit more expensive than the Midtown and this kit is only for rehearsals. I'm in the UK.

https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and...e-Sparkle/2JCO
    I’m in the UK too! Where abouts you from?

Yes mine is a Cafe Racer, and very nice too, for your use and budget, look at the Natal Arcadia bop kits, birch shells and perfect for heavy gigging. Hope this helps.

https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and...oaAn0NEALw_wcB

6. Registered User

Thanks for the link, that's more like it! Food for thought, same price as the Midtown (give or take) and reviews seem good. I'm near Woking in Surrey.

Are there cases available that take the drums like with the Midtown e.g. snare and both toms in a single bag?

7. NO KIT TOO BIG

Thanks for the link, that's more like it! Food for thought, same price as the Midtown (give or take) and reviews seem good. I'm near Woking in Surrey.

Are there cases available that take the drums like with the Midtown e.g. snare and both toms in a single bag?
    I’m in London myself. Not sure they do the cases off the shelf but the pearl ones don’t look too long lasting. A company like Protection racket would probably custom build you something of a similar design, and the quality will be much higher. Also worth looking at Hardcase, who makes abs cases that fit 2 drums in (13+14 would be the closest size to what you want, but it would be heavier and much bulkier.

8. Pearl Corporation USA

The MDT764PBG model comes with the bag set.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    The MDT764PBG model comes with the bag set.
    Hey thanks Al, I was actually referring to the Natal kit...whether there was a similar big bag that takes multiple drums but I guess it would be too cumbersome. Nice though the Natal is with the 18" BD, I'm leaning towards the Midtown due to its practicality and smaller size. Its not like I need this small kit for performances, just rehearsals.

Saw this on Ebay, too far away but I'm sure someone will snap it up https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Natal-arc...h/302844998856

10. NO KIT TOO BIG

Hey thanks Al, I was actually referring to the Natal kit...whether there was a similar big bag that takes multiple drums but I guess it would be too cumbersome. Nice though the Natal is with the 18" BD, I'm leaning towards the Midtown due to its practicality and smaller size. Its not like I need this small kit for performances, just rehearsals.

Saw this on Ebay, too far away but I'm sure someone will snap it up https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Natal-arc...h/302844998856
    Yeah, for your use, Arcadia bop is the way to go for the price, and the birch shells, where the midtown is poplar.

11. What's in YOUR stickbag?

I love my Midtown. The kit is pretty versatile and should be fine for rehearsals. I got mine originally for acoustic/"stripped down" shows with my band (we do everything from country to hip-hop), but I also use it for gigs during the week so that I can get broke down and home to bed. I use the Midtown snare as my aux snare for my main gig kit (tuned up high and tight as an aux, and mid/low when used with the Midtown kit), and I was using the Midtown kick as an aux kick drum to get a different sound for ballads and for tunes that have an alternate kick sound during breakdowns and for ballads.

If you get the Midtown with the bags, all the drums fits into 3 bags. If you don't add cymbals stands (I added 3), break down takes about 15 min. And you can carry it all to your vehicle in one trip if you have to.
    This is the entire kit packed up:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by StickS707; 08-17-2018 at 07:09 PM.

12. Drum Ninja

I have a midtown and a small bop kit. (a couple actually) Pro tip, a normal bop kit will fit in the midtown bags provided your toms aren't too deep. I have a 12x8, 14x12, and a 13x5 snare in the bag and they all fit great. You will just need a bigger bass drum bag. I have to agree that a bit bigger kit for a big band is ideal. You'll want some good projection when setting up hits and licks. That being said, the midtown does sound good and if it's just for rehearsal it would be worth a try.
    RBH Monarch Drums in Merlot Sparkle
    RBH Westwood Drums in Green Sparkle