Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Registered User

Maybe 5-10 years ago I would say it was worse, but that was mainly because I was still building up my kit. I still have a short list of cymbals I would like to add or swap out eventually, but I have grown happy with my setup as is and enjoy just getting behind it to play. If anything at this point, my GAS would simply go to buying new heads.

2. Purple Crazed

I would define how bad it is by how quickly I am willing to make a purchase. So up until this year, it has been pretty bad. Drums, cymbals, hardware, drum heads, mics . . .

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

3. ...groovy...

For me it was really bad for a long time, I have been drumming since 1992, since that time I think I've owned 25 drumkits (the first one I bought in 2002, up until then I just borrowed my dad's kit) and 5 e-kits, complete cymbal setups from all the big brands (Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste and Meinl) and a whole bunch of hardware and pedals. It took a while to realise that I never really needed anything other/better than my first pro kit that I bought in 2002, at least I've never been in a situation since the early beginning that I was let down by what I already had, it was just a constant feeling that there was always going to be something better out there. And the rush of getting/unpacking a new shiny drumkit... To think of all that money spent, for just a minor change in sound and appearance. Well, I try not to.

I guess I kinda grew out of it in the last couple of years, even though I still play with the idea of getting some new items now and then (usually snare, cymbals and pedals, I find it a hassle now to switch drumkits as I prefer big doublebass kits and those are both hard to sell, by experience, and hard to aquire if you don't want to settle for a low resale value and wait a long time for a new kit, at least around where I live). At least I have more of a clear picture nowadays of what I really need and what I just think I need since I have a bit of spare cash. So my impulse purchases has been more in control over the last years, so to speak. Helps getting a wife, house and a kid too... So now I'm closer to sell one of my two kits than getting another one.
    Last edited by Petrez84; 08-18-2018 at 05:10 PM.
    Pearl Masters BCX in Piano Black
    Paiste and Meinl cymbals, Vic Firth 5A Extreme sticks

4. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

I have my issues for sure. What Iím most impressed with are the spaces some of you have.

5. The Sensitone Guy

Sometimes I have to fight against REVERSE G.A.S. I get a wild idea to sell some prized drum. About a year ago I listed my 20" kick that I hardly ever use and really don't like that much. It didn't sell, so rather than lowering the price, I just kept it.

Guess what drum I'm bringing to Monday's charity gig? The 20" kick. Reason: bass player broke his leg last week (low speed motorcycle accident) and I'm carrying him and all his stuff in my car. Glad I didn't sell it!

6. Registered User

I forgot about all of the gear I've bought and sold over the years, some of which I'm probably still paying for. I've bought and sold the same models of cymbals and drums a couple times over. I've come to the conclusion I like a modern all maple kit (Pearl Masters, DW, Starclassic, etc.) and Paiste 2002 cymbals. I still have a second kit as well from my gigging days. Anything else I buy would be in addition to this and I won't sell off anything I have just to get something new. I know if I go on a K Zildjian kick, I'll miss my Paiste's in a few months and at the end of the day it will end up costing me thousands to reacquire the Paistes I had to begin with.

7. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Bri6366 View Post
    I forgot about all of the gear I've bought and sold over the years, some of which I'm probably still paying for. I've bought and sold the same models of cymbals and drums a couple times over. I've come to the conclusion I like a modern all maple kit (Pearl Masters, DW, Starclassic, etc.) and Paiste 2002 cymbals. I still have a second kit as well from my gigging days. Anything else I buy would be in addition to this and I won't sell off anything I have just to get something new. I know if I go on a K Zildjian kick, I'll miss my Paiste's in a few months and at the end of the day it will end up costing me thousands to reacquire the Paistes I had to begin with.
    I've done the same: bought, sold and then re-purchased the same thing. Examples:

1. Sabian AA 20" regular ride
    2. Pearl sensitone brass snare 5.5x14
    3. Pearl limited edition steel snare 7x13
    4. Beato pro1 drum bag 16x24

Yeah, yeah.... I'm a dummy!

8. Drumming Since 1943

I sold/traded my pre-Masters brass shell 14x6.5 years ago at a local shop. Cannot recall what i got in return but I hope it was good! I miss that drum.

This isn’t the exact drum, but that’s what it was.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Way Too Much Crap

9. Registered User

I take the control in myself, many gear that are stored I prefer sell them, I dont like things accumulating dust and using space. This year I replaced many cymbals, hardware , drums but must of them were sold or are selling.
    WANTED ::: Tom Mapex ProM 8" Blue Ice ::: WANTED

10. Registered User

I haven't purchased much at all in almost a year. And now, I'm contemplating a big purge...

11. Registered User

My GAS is so bad, Shell Oil corporation asked if I wanted to start a franchise.

Told them I was too busy buying band gear.
    Bish
    "I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds."