Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. bangin since '95

Quote Originally Posted by Snoogleheimer View Post
    Well, I haven't ordered them yet. I think it might be a good idea to make a trip up to Sweetwater and have a talk with them. They are quite a bit further than Guitar Center (Fort Wayne), but, I have ordered some stuff from them online and have talked to them a couple times, they seem quite knowledgeable. Also, I like the fact some pros go there (Peter Erskine, etc...)
    I'll probably be spending around 10 grand all together (shells, cymbals, hardware, mikes, mixer, etc...), so, rushing into this might not be a good idea. I won't have the $$$ til October anyway.

p.s. I'm not a Pearl Fanboy, but, I've been a Pearl guy since 1970. I also like Tama & Yamaha, but, might be hard to get me away from Pearl. lol
    I'm personally not a fan of the Reference line, but they are fine drums indeed. If you went the Tama route it's important to note that they are not able to take any orders for full Starclassic Bubinga kits anymore. They'll only be offering Bubinga components until about mid-2019 or so until they discontinue it completely. They are however, keeping the Star Bubinga along for a while longer since those are built in Japan and they have different materials there and they sell less of them. I guess the higher price point of the Star kit justifies the paperwork and whatnot.

I've heard great things about the Yamaha PHX, and then I've heard some not great things about the PHX, so you might have to try that one out yourself.

The best buy here might actually be the reference, since it's likely not going anywhere for the foreseeable future, and doesn't come with the alleged tuning problems that the PHX does. And it's $1500 less.
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads

2. HoorayGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LeftySlammer92 View Post
    I've heard great things about the Yamaha PHX, and then I've heard some not great things about the PHX, so you might have to try that one out yourself.
    I liked the Yamaha PHX til he told me the price. "Holy Crap!" lol I just think the Reference kit will be a good choice for now. Learn what it is I like/don't like, then maybe get some fully custom Masterworks. The Reference kit I heard sounded good enough to me and seemed VERY solid. Oh well, we'll see. If they talk me out of it, fine.

p.s. I apologize to OP for hijacking this thread.

3. YAMAHA PAISTE

You may need to remind yourself of your post from 2 weeks ago...

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    I was terminal for a good long while, never happy with whatever I had. Looking back I had so many great drum kits that I should have and could have been happy with. In the end, I think GAS has more to do with filling a void in your life than it has to do with buying drum gear. Don't get me wrong, I love to collect things and I love drums. I think I am pretty happy with the gear I have now and I hope to keep it for a good while. I am very happy with the quality of pearl drums as well. My 1st kit coming back to drumming in 1997 was a pearl export ex, I feel like I have come full circle.
    It ain't the drums buddy...

4. HoorayGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tommoholub View Post
    It ain't the drums buddy...
    Yeah, it's the chicks.

5. HoorayGuy

I also think the shallower depths sound better on the floor toms
    I agree completely.

6. Registered User

Do shallower toms have a (so to speak) "tighter" tone?" Kinda like a 10" or 12" woofer over a 15"?

To my noob way of thinking, doesn't a deeper drum have a deeper tone? Perhaps it's more "muddy" sounding?

7. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster56 View Post
    To my noob way of thinking, doesn't a deeper drum have a deeper tone? Perhaps it's more "muddy" sounding?
    let's take a 16x16 as example .. it has slightly more low end and a slightly lower fundamental pitch than say a 16x14 .. squared floor toms I tune reso 2-3 semitones higher than batter .. on non squared sizes I tune to same pitch top and bottom

8. Registered User

I'm like a dog watching television here, but I will persevere!

9. Registered User

I tuned my 16x16 heads to match and boy did that resonate forever! I now tune the reso higher.

10. Registered User

what heads are you running? I am considering trying coated ambassadors to warm these up
    I put Evans G1 top and bottom but I will be changing the batter to either coated or 2 ply or both. Too boomy and hard to tune the way I would like.

11. Playing since 1976

what are you doing for kick heads?
    Have you tried a single ply EMAD batter with any ported resonant head you like? I think your search will be over at that point.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

12. Registered User

timmy?
    up yours

Pearl Session Studio Classic 22/13/16 - Pearl Power Piccolo Brass 13x5.5 - Bosphorus - Roland TD-12