Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. HoorayGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    I should have saved up and got what I wanted instead of settling.
    I'm not going to make this mistake this time around myself. Thought I was going to be ordering my Reference kit last week. Looks like I will be ordering it next month. lol "Yikes!"
    Anyway, don't know why it seems Pearls get so much scrutiny on a Pearl forum. I thought the Reference kit I checked out sounded GREAT. Just as good as Tama & Yamaha kits I checked out that cost 2 grand more. Now, I do like the Tama mounts better, but, not $2000.00 better.

2. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by Snoogleheimer View Post
    I'm not going to make this mistake this time around myself. Thought I was going to be ordering my Reference kit last week. Looks like I will be ordering it next month. lol "Yikes!"
    Anyway, don't know why it seems Pearls get so much scrutiny on a Pearl forum. I thought the Reference kit I checked out sounded GREAT. Just as good as Tama & Yamaha kits I checked out that cost 2 grand more. Now, I do like the Tama mounts better, but, not $2000.00 better.
    Do you really like the reference kits??? Every one I have ever heard sounded choked
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black

3. HoorayGuy

Do you really like the reference kits??? Every one I have ever heard sounded choked
    I think they sound outstanding.

4. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Yeah, I know..... The Pearls sound decent, I don't know what's bugging me about them. Maybe it's because I didn't get the sizes that I really wanted and settled on the shellpack sizes. I prefer a 22x16 kick over the 22x18 kick that these came with. I also prefer shallower floor toms and these came in square sizes. I should have saved up and got what I wanted instead of settling, which is what I always do. I like the sound of my oaks better, I also like Yamahas mounting system way better than the optimount system.
    I hear ya ..I prefer a 22x16 over 22x18 myself and also prefer shallower floor toms instead of squared

so the question is what are gonna do with the MCT's? trade in?

5. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    I hear ya ..I prefer a 22x16 over 22x18 myself and also prefer shallower floor toms instead of squared

so the question is what are gonna do with the MCT's? trade in?
    Good question, I will get killed on a trade deal with these and selling a Pearl kit outright takes forever and a day. Looks like I am stuck for the time being.
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black

6. HoorayGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    I agree on the toms, however, I thought I wanted a smaller bass drum til I messed around with them; I prefer the larger 22 x 18. (I like the looks of the smaller bass drum however).

7. HoorayGuy

Good question, I will get killed on a trade deal with these and selling a Pearl kit outright takes forever and a day. Looks like I am stuck for the time being.
    I understand where you're coming from. Also, the higher end kits seem to take longer to get. Makes sense I guess. I'm sure they don't want a bunch of expensive inventory sitting around. Most people I'm sure aren't crazy like we are. lol Can't believe how much I'm gonna spend on a kit. Jeez.

8. Registered User

But that's the cool part... it's only money. YOUR kit, however... it doesn't matter.

9. HoorayGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster56 View Post
    But that's the cool part... it's only money. YOUR kit, however... it doesn't matter.
    Yes, I agree. My kit IS awesome. Thanks.

10. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Snoogleheimer View Post
    I don't know what you're comparing, but it's likely apples to oranges. A 4-piece Reference shell pack lists for $5702, and a Star Walnut (for example) 5-piece (snare included) lists for $6575, less than $1000 more, and includes a $1000 snare. They are essentially the same price, yet Star is a step above Reference. A better comparison would be Reference or Reference Pure to Starclassic Maple or Starclassic Bubinga, and the Starclassics are more affordable, and can be special-ordered to be made in Japan.

If you ultimately go with Reference drums, here are a couple notes to keep in mind. First, if you go with a 20" kick, I would not go with Reference, go with Reference Pure. A small kick drum with a very thick shell is not a great combination if you want a lower fundamental note. You'll get projection of course, but it will be projection of a higher note. Secondly, if you go with Reference or Reference Pure, your shell interiors will not match, unless all of your drums are 13" or larger. So if you have 8, 10, or 12" toms, they will have birch or maple interiors. 13" shells and larger have mahogany interiors. Some people don't care, but that would bother me.

Name:  5370223186_3ecb7a9477_b.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  156.3 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

11. Registered User

CUZNRED, I know what you mean with deep floor toms in MCT. They sure are resonant like a deep well. I tuned the 16"x16" higher for now and will add a 14"x14" so less drop off from 12"x8". Do you like your 14"x14"?

12. HoorayGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I don't know what you're comparing, but it's likely apples to oranges. A 4-piece Reference shell pack lists for $5702, and a Star Walnut (for example) 5-piece (snare included) lists for $6575, less than $1000 more, and includes a $1000 snare. They are essentially the same price, yet Star is a step above Reference. A better comparison would be Reference or Reference Pure to Starclassic Maple or Starclassic Bubinga, and the Starclassics are more affordable, and can be special-ordered to be made in Japan.

If you ultimately go with Reference drums, here are a couple notes to keep in mind. First, if you go with a 20" kick, I would not go with Reference, go with Reference Pure. A small kick drum with a very thick shell is not a great combination if you want a lower fundamental note. You'll get projection of course, but it will be projection of a higher note. Secondly, if you go with Reference or Reference Pure, your shell interiors will not match, unless all of your drums are 13" or larger. So if you have 8, 10, or 12" toms, they will have birch or maple interiors. 13" shells and larger have mahogany interiors. Some people don't care, but that would bother me.
    Well, I haven't ordered them yet. I think it might be a good idea to make a trip up to Sweetwater and have a talk with them. They are quite a bit further than Guitar Center (Fort Wayne), but, I have ordered some stuff from them online and have talked to them a couple times, they seem quite knowledgeable. Also, I like the fact some pros go there (Peter Erskine, etc...)
    I'll probably be spending around 10 grand all together (shells, cymbals, hardware, mikes, mixer, etc...), so, rushing into this might not be a good idea. I won't have the $$$ til October anyway.

p.s. I'm not a Pearl Fanboy, but, I've been a Pearl guy since 1970. I also like Tama & Yamaha, but, might be hard to get me away from Pearl. lol