Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New VMX Config

1. What's in YOUR stickbag?

Default New VMX Config

I am well aware that I have a problem...I change my set up alot. This new config will make setting up for gigs pretty easy. Main "highlights"
    are the split double-stack rack, remote hat for primary hi-hat (first time in 10-ish years without an aux hat), and aux snare stand is mounted to the rack. Not shown is the overhead mic mounted off the tom holder for floor tom 1. The rack (and kit) usually live in the band trailer and doesn't get disassembled. You can kinda see the Reference kit in the background of the first pic. It is configured the same as the VMX...The Ref is used as a "proof of concept"/prototype whenever I decide I want to reconfigure since it is always set up in the basement of my house.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. The Sensitone Guy

My wife calls this "drum fuss". I suffer from the same affliction and can literally spend hours drinking, tweaking and agonizing over my latest set up.

Yours looks like 22" bass with 10, 12, 14 and 16 toms. Could be 8 and 10". Hard to tell.

3. Registered User

StickS707, I don't look at this as a problem but evolving to what is comfortable for you! When I pieced my "large set" together, I placed all my cymbals and drums to where if I close my eyes, I can comfortably hit the sweet spot without looking! However, because I'm in my mid 50's, my gigging set is a four piece, easy set-up, tear down and it gets the job done!

4. Registered User

StickS707, I don't look at this as a problem but evolving to what is comfortable for you! When I pieced my "large set" together, I placed all my cymbals and drums to where if I close my eyes, I can comfortably hit the sweet spot without looking! However, because I'm in my mid 50's, my gigging set is a four piece, easy set-up, tear down and it gets the job done! By the way...nice Vision Set Up!

5. What's in YOUR stickbag?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    My wife calls this "drum fuss". I suffer from the same affliction and can literally spend hours drinking, tweaking and agonizing over my latest set up.

Yours looks like 22" bass with 10, 12, 14 and 16 toms. Could be 8 and 10". Hard to tell.
    Yep, 22" kick, 8, 10, 14, 16. I've been running without the 12 and 13 for a while now, although the previous config had the traditional 12 after the 10, with a 16" aux kick. I'm thinking of running a kick pad off of the SPD-sx for tunes that require a specific kick tone...I'm in what I call a midwest party band...we play everything from country to rock to dance and just a smidge of hip-hop.

6. What's in YOUR stickbag?

Quote Originally Posted by TMdrums View Post
    StickS707, I don't look at this as a problem but evolving to what is comfortable for you! When I pieced my "large set" together, I placed all my cymbals and drums to where if I close my eyes, I can comfortably hit the sweet spot without looking! However, because I'm in my mid 50's, my gigging set is a four piece, easy set-up, tear down and it gets the job done! By the way...nice Vision Set Up!
    LOL...it's really only a problem for my drum tech. I actually like changing the kit up. It's a combination of finding a comfortable set up and changing the stage aesthetic. My band plays almost every weekend (we are on a two week break), and we have a pretty big following, so changing the setup keeps me from being bored and gives the audience a change of scenery...the drums are the biggest thing on stage. I usually change it every 6 months or so, but I've been in this particular band for a little over a year and this is the 3rd or 4th config change...my record is 6 reconfigs in 3 months (and that band played a lot less than my current band).

I'm pretty much a "practice how you play" kind of guy, so my home studio rig will match what I gig with, with the exception of my 4pc Midtown kit. And thanks...I've had the VMX since 2008 (ordered it at launch in late-2007) and have used it on hundreds of gigs (well over 100, at least) since then. It is holding up beautifully!

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TMdrums View Post
    StickS707, I don't look at this as a problem but evolving to what is comfortable for you! When I pieced my "large set" together, I placed all my cymbals and drums to where if I close my eyes, I can comfortably hit the sweet spot without looking! However, because I'm in my mid 50's, my gigging set is a four piece, easy set-up, tear down and it gets the job done!
    I couldn't agree more TMdrums....I play one of two Vision Bop kits and I'll never be sorry I parted with my large Masters Kit with Icon rack and SKB hard cases. I do not have a tech, I'm gettin' old, and easy load-in/load-out trumps big, impressive set up for me nowadays. I've even gone to Atlas flat base stands (almost 30% lighter than my double braced Pearl stands,) and much less brass (ride, RH crash, LH crash, and occasionally a "specialty" EFX or splash.) Load-in, set-up, ready for sound check in 30 minutes. Only my cajon gigs are faster/easier. :-)
    oldstroke in CA

8. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by StickS707 View Post
    I am well aware that I have a problem...I change my set up alot. This new config will make setting up for gigs pretty easy. Main "highlights"
    are the split double-stack rack, remote hat for primary hi-hat (first time in 10-ish years without an aux hat), and aux snare stand is mounted to the rack. Not shown is the overhead mic mounted off the tom holder for floor tom 1. The rack (and kit) usually live in the band trailer and doesn't get disassembled. You can kinda see the Reference kit in the background of the first pic. It is configured the same as the VMX...The Ref is used as a "proof of concept"/prototype whenever I decide I want to reconfigure since it is always set up in the basement of my house.
    This double-stack rack looks great. It looks like you've come up with a very comfy set-up!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

9. Registered User

Oldstroke, ironically, my gigging set is a Pearl Vision Bebop Kit as well! Fit the whole set it my Ford Focus and have room for my girlfriend! Not to mention, most the places we play at have a stage the size of a postage stamp!
    Name:  31124495_2122584404448566_3018822055278328862_n.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  92.6 KB