Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Question Do mesh heads wear down edges?

I read recently a post on here about mesh heads wearing down bearing edges (i couldn't for some reason post to that thread, sorry). As I'll be putting them on my only kit will this be elimiated if I stuck a circle of electricians tape/electrical tape around the edge of the heads; would that eliminate the wearing down of the bearing edges?

2. Registered User

I wouldn't bother with the tape. I can image the roughness of mesh heads (in so far as they are rough, very marginal) might act as an abrasive but only if the heads are constantly retensioned. I have silentstroke heads on my only kit and don't worry about it.

I did treat the edges with Drumdial bearing edge conditioner before putting the heads on, might be worth a try.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

3. ...A mind like Water...

If you're worried, just use Proloxgix blue silencing pads on actual drum heads. Great feel, great workout and nice and quiet with SOME tom tonality left.
    SELLING: Pearl Session Custom Maple (SMX) Marine Blue Fade - Near mint - 10x8, 12x9, 16x16, 22x18 - PM me for details!

4. Playing since 1976

I wouldn't recommend putting black electrical tape on your bearing edges. At a minimum, you're trading one problem for another.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

5. Drum Ninja

I had read that and didn't want to take chances so I cut the hoops and centers out of some old heads and stuffed them inside the mesh heads to protect the edges just in case. Turns out it was a great idea because I basically created a muffle ring which made it a whole lot easier to trigger the heads as well as protect the edges.
    RBH Monarch Drums in Merlot Sparkle
    RBH Westwood Drums in Green Sparkle

6. ...A mind like Water...

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrin View Post
    I had read that and didn't want to take chances so I cut the hoops and centers out of some old heads and stuffed them inside the mesh heads to protect the edges just in case. Turns out it was a great idea because I basically created a muffle ring which made it a whole lot easier to trigger the heads as well as protect the edges.
    This. I was thinking of doing the same for my bass drum! I only use a silentstroke on there because having a pad on the kick drum changes the location of where the beater hits making it feel unrealistic
    SELLING: Pearl Session Custom Maple (SMX) Marine Blue Fade - Near mint - 10x8, 12x9, 16x16, 22x18 - PM me for details!

7. Registered User

In my experience, they don’t. I’m In a townhouse, so when the kits at home, the Silent strokes are on. I’ve used the same set on a couple of kits without any issues to the edges. I also don’t crank them down tight either. That being said, I’m thinking of switching to the RTOM black holes simply for ease of use, though they are slightly louder.

8. Registered User

I have put silent strokes and Roland mesh heads on a couple of my kits and they do no damage to the edges. You might think because they have a rough texture that they will wear away a bit of the edge, but they don't. The heads mostly just stretch/deform at the playing area (center) and the edges never actually move along the edge.