Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Get BCX snare?

1. Registered User

Default Get BCX snare?

Hey all -

With the discontinued BCX line, I have in golden bronze glitter: 12x9/13x10/16x16/22x18. I'm debating getting a matching 6.5 snare for it, and I found a vendor on eBay that has exactly that.

However, I'm not sure if this is the way to go, as I really like the Pearl Sensitone Premium beaded brass snare as well. Which I think would be a better investment and visually, not a bad look on any of my kits.

But I do like a complete matching set.

So - would you get the matching snare as they will be completely gone soon or get the premium brass? Anybody with a BCX snare the just love? I like the toms and bass drum - very throaty and full. Does the snare possess qualities you can't get with anything else?
    Matt 'Bo' Eder
    Pearl Artist - Pearl Masters BCX drums in golden bronze glitter

2. The Sensitone Guy

I'd go with a sensitone, but I'm horribly biased toward them. I'm not familiar with the "Premium beaded brass" version of the sensitone. They change things all the time. For my money, I'd get an older model used brass sensitone. I'm very happy with my two brass sensitones. One is a 5.5x14 and the other is a 5.0x14 black nickel finish. Either one would work well.

Yeah, it's kinda cool to have a matching snare from a visual perspective. I'm just not that concerned with having a matching snare.

3. NO KIT TOO BIG

I'd get the BCX, while you can, the sensitones are quite easy to find, so if you waited, you'd still be alright, where the BCX's are discontinued now so finding a matching snare in 2 years time will prove very tricky.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Yamaha and Dauz Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

4. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    I'd get the BCX, while you can, the sensitones are quite easy to find, so if you waited, you'd still be alright, where the BCX's are discontinued now so finding a matching snare in 2 years time will prove very tricky.
    You make a good point.

5. Numb Stomper

Bo, I just set up a brand new Stage Custom Birch kit at my church and I was blown away by the tone and body coming out of the stock snare. I have to imagine that a BCX would sound even better. I say get it!

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by joshvibert View Post
    Bo, I just set up a brand new Stage Custom Birch kit at my church and I was blown away by the tone and body coming out of the stock snare. I have to imagine that a BCX would sound even better. I say get it!
    I'm still debating -although I'm sure I have a few days to make a decision. The vendor has three of them in stock so I'm sure he'll still have one in a week.
    But I do know the Brass Sensitone will work - for some reason I have better luck with metal snares, my favorite being my Supra, and I've owned several brass ones in the past. The sensitone just seems like the right choice. I'm waiting to hear back about the availability of the Sensitone, so I'll decide when I get that news.
    Matt 'Bo' Eder

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by joshvibert View Post
    Maybe I'll just get BOTH
    Matt 'Bo' Eder

8. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by bo eder View Post
    Maybe I'll just get BOTH
    Definitely get the matching snare, as this is a great opportunity to pick one up. I'm not a fan of the ARL lugs on the 6.5" deep Sensitone premium snares. They look like furniture "pulls" to me. The ARL55 lugs look a little nicer, and there are more of an arc instead of a design that looks like a handle. You don't seem to be shy about buying gear, so why not just get both?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

9. Registered User

So anyway, this showed up today! A new 6.5x14 Masters BCX snare in matching finish. The drum is awesome. I haven't played it yet, but I'm sure it'll sound great once I'm done changing heads and tuning it up.

Name:  New-snare.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  96.1 KB
    Matt 'Bo' Eder

10. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by bo eder View Post
    So anyway, this showed up today! A new 6.5x14 Masters BCX snare in matching finish. The drum is awesome. I haven't played it yet, but I'm sure it'll sound great once I'm done changing heads and tuning it up.

Name:  New-snare.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  96.1 KB
    When I had a Masters snare in that exact size, I enjoyed it. I tuned the bottom head VERY tight and even, then you can do just about anything you want with the drum. I actually found lower batter head tunings very pleasant, especially with a good dampened head like a Evans Coated Genera or a Remo Coated PS3. Enjoy it Bo... it looks great!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE