Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default The reason I only gig with a 4-piece ;)

Now that I have this kit that's smaller and lower for me, with FOUR toms, messing around this morning I realized why I only gigged with four drums total. Multiple toms make me play too many notes. It's almost like a drug. You don't need to groove, you need to roll around on the toms. I can see the attraction for the new drummers.

I hope this will subside by the time I get together with the band soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICKEwtz9wcw
    Matt 'Bo' Eder
    Pearl Artist - Pearl Masters BCX drums in golden bronze glitter

2. The Sensitone Guy

HA HA! Me too. If I start gigging with more than 4 drums and 3 cymbals, I start getting distracted.

By the way... I know you were just "doodling" around on your kit, but you have very good chops. I can shine playing along with my band but have a really hard time doing ANYTHING interesting when I'm alone with the drums with no music playing.

3. Registered User

Hey Bo. Aren't you concerned about the size of those badges! Good playing and tuning as usual.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    HA HA! Me too. If I start gigging with more than 4 drums and 3 cymbals, I start getting distracted.

By the way... I know you were just "doodling" around on your kit, but you have very good chops. I can shine playing along with my band but have a really hard time doing ANYTHING interesting when I'm alone with the drums with no music playing.
    Thanks for the compliment. But I think you're doing it right. When I was a kid it was all about the solos and the flash, and then I grew to appreciate what we're really supposed to be doing with a band of musicians. Ironically, had I worked on band stuff when I was kid, my career might've ended up being a lot busier than it actually is.
    Matt 'Bo' Eder

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    Hey Bo. Aren't you concerned about the size of those badges! Good playing and tuning as usual.
    Thanks. The badges are sorta big, but at least it's not like Rogers in the 70s with those giant R's on the drums
    Matt 'Bo' Eder

6. What's in YOUR stickbag?

My kit (and configurations) range from 2 to 6 toms, depending on the gig, venue, mood, and phase of the moon. With my current gig, I'm typically running with 4 toms. I guess I'm used to playing big kits...I don't (and more importantly, my band doesn't) find that I'm busier with the big kit compared to the baby Midtown kit. It takes a bit of discipline to keep oneself from going for it all the time. I prefer big kits for the voice options...but yea, big fills are fun, too.

7. The Hardware Guy

Well, not really. I mean, I know lots of words, but I don't need to use all of them all the time.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

8. Registered User

Gotta play for the song, whether you have two toms, or twelve toms. Just because you have $1000 bucks in your wallet, doesn't mean you have to spend it all.
    Want to Trade: My Mapex Orion 22x20 bass drum shell in Wine Burl Burst (8.5-9/10) for your 22x16 of the same

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Skiddz View Post
    Gotta play for the song, whether you have two toms, or twelve toms. Just because you have $1000 bucks in your wallet, doesn't mean you have to spend it all.
    100% agree. More toms gives mores options but can lead to "overplaying" if you're inclined to use them all and not all music needs or warrants a big kit.

I have on occasion felt rather stupid, having setup my not so small kit and realised I don't need most of it.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

10. NO KIT TOO BIG

I have both big and small kits but this is the one I gig with 9 times out of 10. Name:  38294541_2070529483197432_681928742318112768_n.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  69.6 KB
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!