Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Thinking about doing some customization in the future...

So I've been kicking around a couple of ideas to make my Decade kit a little more unique at some point down the road. I have the brown satin burst (pics in my review thread) and I think it would look killer with black hardware to match my snare. As much as I would love to invest in all new lugs to really set it apart, I'm thinking it might be better in the long run to just paint all the hardware black (lugs, hoops, floor tom brackets and legs and bass drum tom mount, claws and legs) and finish them with some sort of clear coat to give them a little more durability and save me a ton of money in the process.

What do you all think?
    Don't pick a fight with a drummer... we beat things for a living.

2. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    So I've been kicking around a couple of ideas to make my Decade kit a little more unique at some point down the road. I have the brown satin burst (pics in my review thread) and I think it would look killer with black hardware to match my snare. As much as I would love to invest in all new lugs to really set it apart, I'm thinking it might be better in the long run to just paint all the hardware black (lugs, hoops, floor tom brackets and legs and bass drum tom mount, claws and legs) and finish them with some sort of clear coat to give them a little more durability and save me a ton of money in the process.

What do you all think?
    I already went down that road... my suggestion is don't do it. Stick with chrome. If you insist on changing to black hardware, try to find a powder coater in your area who is willing to take on small batches of hardware. I found several in my area. These places spray gloss black almost daily, so they can fit your parts in rather quickly... no skin off their back. See if you have a Precision Powder Coating in your town. It's a chain.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

3. SUPREME MODULATOR

No.
    Do not.
    Dont.
    Stop
    Slow down.
    Wait.

Do not paint...not now not ever...
    DO NOT PAINT YOUR HARDWARE.

Hope ive been clear.

4. Registered User

Thanks for the input, guys. I did actually have to paint the hoops on my snare and they turned out great, but I have no experience painting lugs or just that sheer volume of work involved with that. This is why I asked.

You guys are great, thanks again... I'll probably be staying away from painting them myself.
    Don't pick a fight with a drummer... we beat things for a living.