Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 19596566676869
  1. anti-shark cage?

Quote Originally Posted by Talon View Post
    I finally saw this. Haha, we may or may not have purchased an Airstream in March... lol

Airstream driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan12 View Post
    Oh, so you quote everyone but me? I see how it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Top quality humour should never be served in a spoon.

2. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Cancer f..... sucks.
    Aye, that it does.

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Thanks. My mom has been fighting it for 7yrs now and out of nowhere my wife’s mom got pancreatic cancer and in 6 months died just yesterday. My kids could possibly lose both their grandmothers within a year. What I feel worse about is we have been so worried and up & down about my mom that my wife’s seems to just go by without a lost step. It’s not until I reflect do I think about how f’d up everything seems to be right now.
    My partner (28) was diagnosed with stage II unfavourable Hodgkin's Lymphoma almost a year ago. Four cycles of the harshest chemo put it into remission in October but the anxiety of recurrence still runs high for both of us. A young woman I went to school with (29) has been fighting stage IV HL for a few years, undergoing chemo, radiation, stem cell transplant, and now immunotherapy. Breaks my heart knowing how hard it can be to go through those treatments for them to fail.

Over the course of my partner's treatment my mother was found to have a lymphoma growth of sorts on her back (removed, not expected to return), my closest friend's mother was diagnosed with a leukemia/lymphoma that will require ongoing treatment for the rest of her life, and his father was found to have a growth on his lower intestines/colon which he is going under the knife for (not sure if cancerous).

It's crazy how suddenly these things just come out of nowhere.

I stumbled on Opus' thread (circa 2015) a month or two ago and was glad that he and quicksticks' chose to share their experiences (even if some other members were not comfortable with the topic). As well as MPK's thread (also circa 2015) where he was quite candid about his experiences; inspirational in his dedication to drumming by going from a chemo appointment to a gig.
    Last edited by Feenix; 05-03-2019 at 12:10 PM.

3. Banned

Dale, I'm a cancer survivor and my wife is an oncology nurse. The stories I hear from my wife run the spectrum from heartbreaking to inspirational, and more often than not they encompass that entire spectrum. And because of that I am sorry what you and your family have been a part of.

My partner (28) was diagnosed with stage II unfavourable Hodgkin's Lymphoma almost a year ago. Four cycles of the harshest chemo put it into remission in October but the anxiety of recurrence still runs high for both of us. A young woman I went to school with (29) has been fighting stage IV HL for a few years, undergoing chemo, radiation, stem cell transplant, and now immunotherapy. Breaks my heart knowing how hard it can be to go through those treatments for them to fail.

Over the course of my partner's treatment my mother was found to have a lymphoma growth of sorts on her back (removed, not expected to return), my closest friend's mother was diagnosed with a leukemia/lymphoma that will require ongoing treatment for the rest of her life, and his father was found to have a growth on his lower intestines/colon which he is going under the knife for (not sure if cancerous).

It's crazy how suddenly these things just come out of nowhere.
    I hope your partner is responding well - good look to the both of you through it.

I stumbled on Opus' thread (circa 2015) a month or two ago and was glad that he and quicksticks' chose to share their experiences (even if some other members were not comfortable with the topic). As well as MPK's thread (also circa 2015) where he was quite candid about his experiences; inspirational in his dedication to drumming by going from a chemo appointment to a gig.
    I still highly recommend this book as well as the pbs series.

4. Drumming Since 1943

My father-in-law passed away in '08 from Stage IV lung cancer. There's a thread here somewhere about it. It hit him like a truck. I took a drive with him one day and told him that he didn't have to do chemo. He could just... enjoy what life he had left. He opted for chemo. It left him without taste and cold all the time. He withered away and my wife, who worshipped him, will never really be the same. Our good friend was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer 3 years ago. She's gone through newer types of treatment and a double mastectomy then reconstruction. She bounced back like a BOSS. Resumed life.

And just a few weeks ago, she found out that it's back.

I don't wish it on my worst enemy. I throw good thoughts to all who suffer from it and those who suffer along with their loved ones.

F*** CANCER.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. Registered User

I'm thinking of getting a bag to carry my Roc-N-Soc saddle throne in. I've got a separate bag for the base but would like a bag for the top as well. I was thinking of getting a cheap pizza delivery bag like this:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cho...PIBAG2NBK.html

Am I crazy? Should I just carry the top and not worry about a bag? It just bugs the hell out of me every time I move it because it's an awkward shape, there's grease on the mount that transfers easily onto clothes and carpet, and I hate struggling to carry something else while I'm dealing with the throne top. It always feels like it creates an extra trip, one way or another.

Edit:
    Last edited by TheElectricCompany; 05-07-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post

Am I crazy?
    Maybe on the Pizza delivery bag.

But based on what you've described, you've already committed yourself to a case for your throne top.

If I didn't put mine in my hardware bag, I'd definitely have a case for it.

7. Registered User

Well, the Illinois river is rising like crazy. The Mississippi River too. I live right between the two. Literally, the Illinois and Mississippi River connect right at the bottom of this **** hole county I live in. Making it a peninsula.

When the Levee breaks means more to me than most because like the song says " when the levee breaks you got no place to go!"

If this levee breaks the low lands where the only bridge out of here will be under 16 feet of river water.

It broke during the Great Flood of '93 and it took from June til November to get all the water pumped out. Because even when the river level drops the back water on the broken levee side doesn't run back into the river. It just sits there.

My sons 18th birthday is today and they pulled him and all the high school kids out and have them filling sandbags to shore up the levee.

#riverlifeisoverated

8. Registered User

First pic is the end of my street. That's river backed up the creek. I live 1/4 mile from the river.

Second pic is same creek from my back yard. It will never get in my house & that's great but it's still a mess.

I just had my gallbladder removed so no lifting sandbags for me. I have a gig this coming Saturday about 45 minutes away. If the levee breaks it would turn it in to a 4 hour ride one way. I'll will probably not go to that gig!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

9. Rogue Ex-Mod

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    Well, the Illinois river is rising like crazy. The Mississippi River too. I live right between the two. Literally, the Illinois and Mississippi River connect right at the bottom of this **** hole county I live in. Making it a peninsula.

When the Levee breaks means more to me than most because like the song says " when the levee breaks you got no place to go!"

If this levee breaks the low lands where the only bridge out of here will be under 16 feet of river water.

It broke during the Great Flood of '93 and it took from June til November to get all the water pumped out. Because even when the river level drops the back water on the broken levee side doesn't run back into the river. It just sits there.

My sons 18th birthday is today and they pulled him and all the high school kids out and have them filling sandbags to shore up the levee.

#riverlifeisoverated
    Yikes! I hope you don't get trapped Marty. We've had flooding up in Cedar Rapids but I live on enough of a hill I don't have to worry about the rivers. I only had trouble that one time when we got 6" of rain in a day and we lost power for 48 hours. I still remember 1993, I had just moved to Iowa City at that point and I had never seen flooding like that before.

Sorry to hear about the gallbladder too, I had mine out and my digestive system has never really recovered. Take it easy, don't strain yourself while you're healing up!
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by David Hollywood View Post
    Yikes! I hope you don't get trapped Marty. We've had flooding up in Cedar Rapids but I live on enough of a hill I don't have to worry about the rivers. I only had trouble that one time when we got 6" of rain in a day and we lost power for 48 hours. I still remember 1993, I had just moved to Iowa City at that point and I had never seen flooding like that before. Sorry to hear about the gallbladder too, I had mine out and my digestive system has never really recovered. Take it easy, don't strain yourself while you're healing up!
    Thanks, Alex. I've actually been much better after the removal. I had been sick to my stomach for years and they were treating it like heartburn, which I do get from time to time. But I was getting a bad pain in my side for a few weeks and when it woke me up at 5:00 am I was like " ok I'm going to the ER, because I thought it was my appendix.

Since the surgery I have been able to eat and not feel like puking. I took it easy for a week and then like a dip stick I over done it and was then really sore.

But I'm pretty good now.

As far as the river goes they've lowered the crest level and inch & that's good but sometimes the levees break just from being saturated for so long. Hope all is well with you and your band is still kicking!

11. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Quote Originally Posted by opus138 View Post
    I hope your partner is responding well - good luck to the both of you through it.
    The oncologist is positive. Thanks for the kind words and the same sentiment to you.

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    He opted for chemo. It left him without taste and cold all the time
    Sounds about right. Plus the onerous dietary restrictions, constant nausea, infection precautions, fatigue, temporary and permanent nerve damage, extreme bone pain, hair loss, and nail discolouration.

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    Well, the Illinois river is rising like crazy. The Mississippi River too.
    We're seeing a lot of flooding up here, particularly around Ottawa, southern Quebec, and over in the Maritimes. Couple years in a row now for some of these places. Talk of buying-out home owners and moving them off the river banks and out of flood plains, cheaper than paying for repairs year after year. News said similar things have been done in the US; New Jersey or New York was the example they discussed.

Thankfully, we're not around there. We also happen to be up on the Niagara escarpment, about 100m above the great lake water levels, so flooding isn't our top concern.

Quote Originally Posted by opus138 View Post
    Our neighbors. Families we know, kids we know.
    *****ty news. Unbelievable how widespread this is getting down there.