Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 69 123451151 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Chit Chat: This One Goes to 11

As I was saying, I understand the the sizes of the champagne kit could be distorted due the kit being at the edge of the photo. As you can see, the Supra on the far left looks huge. However, it seems so strange the dimensions of the entire kit would seem to be maintained as you move across the drums. The lugs on the right of the drums look no larger than those on the left.

To that end, Matt (I ask because if I remember correctly you take your cameras as seriously as your drums), would the type of camera used to take the photo play a role in whether the edges are distorted? Would a cell phone lens be more distorted than a "real" camera with a larger lens? I'm wondering if one or the other would rule out edge distortion.

Ludwig nerd speculation everyone can skip over:
    If the drums are distorted, there's still something weird going on with the rack tom. 13x9 Ludwigs of this era would have large classic lugs with about an inch between the batter and reso lugs in the center of the drum. This drum has virtually no space between batter and reso lugs. If that's the case and the drum is really a 12x8, someone replaced the small classic lugs (which you can see on the silver and blue rack toms) with large classics, which is rather bizarre considering their hole spacing is completely different.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TheElectricCompany; 07-24-2018 at 03:18 PM.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    As I was saying, I understand the the sizes of the champagne kit could be distorted due the kit being at the edge of the photo. As you can see, the Supra on the far left looks huge. However, it seems so strange the dimensions of the entire kit would seem to be maintained as you move across the drums. The lugs on the right of the drums look no larger than those on the left.

If the drums are distorted, there's still something weird going on with the rack tom. 13x9 Ludwigs of this era would have large classic lugs with about an inch between the batter and reso lugs in the center of the drum. This drum has virtually no space between batter and reso lugs. If that's the case and the drum is really a 12x8, someone replaced the small classic lugs (which you can see on the silver and blue rack toms) with large classics, which is rather bizarre considering their hole spacing is completely different.
    Could it possibly be that the original owner custom ordered a 12" with the large lugs? I'm not sure if custom orders like that were even possible back then. But maybe?

Did you ask the seller if there are any extra or plugged holes?
    Want to Trade: My Mapex Orion 22x20 bass drum shell in Wine Burl Burst (8.5-9/10) for your 22x16 of the same

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Skiddz View Post
    Could it possibly be that the original owner custom ordered a 12" with the large lugs? I'm not sure if custom orders like that were even possible back then. But maybe?

Did you ask the seller if there are any extra or plugged holes?
    I don't believe large lugs could be ordered on small drums or vice versa. I'll need to look into it.

Something else, the floor tom seam doesn't line up right under the lugs. It could be nothing, or it could mean it's an 18. Only 18-inch drums and larger received two pieces of wrap and had two seams. The second seam would likely not be under the lugs.

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

4. Registered User

I went ahead and emailed the shop to double check their measurements. Since it's a vintage drum shop they know gear and I didn't want to sound like an a-hole by questioning them, at least not without input from all the drum forums I'm on first.

They're shipping these drums to a shop in the UK soon, so if it's the drum I want I have to make a deal now and not once they're an ocean and all those shipping costs away.

5. Playing since 1976

To that end, Matt (I ask because if I remember correctly you take your cameras as seriously as your drums), would the type of camera used to take the photo play a role in whether the edges are distorted? Would a cell phone lens be more distorted than a "real" camera with a larger lens? I'm wondering if one or the other would rule out edge distortion.
    To me, the champagne kit looks larger (in diameter) on every drum; compare the rack, floor, and kick to the oyster kit next to it. As far as distortion, all camera lenses will make distortion, but to varying degrees, depending on the lens and the photographer. One trick drum photographers use is to use lenses with powerful zooms, so they can back up father away from the subject (in this case a drum), and zoom in. This would make less distortion than being close to the drum.

Here is another thing to look at in the photo. Look at that Supraphonic on the left, and compare it to the floor tom next to it. The snare looks distorted and stretched horizontally, and appears to be close in diameter to the floor tom, yet we know that the snare is 14" and that floor is a 16" (I'm assuming that the floor is 16" because it looks like it has a 12" and 13" rack tom on top of it).
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

I think I misunderstood. I thought that was you and your drums.

7. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    I think I misunderstood. I thought that was you and your drums.
    Same here. And I went and got another chit chat thread closed with my sarcasm.
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Registered User

I don’t frequently post photos of myself but I figure y’all would know by now I look nothing like the dude in the picture haha

I didn’t have a problem with what y’all said. I thought JY was calling the guy in the picture a show off. Dale, I thought you just didn’t care to answer the question.

I hope y’all know I had nothing to do with the thread being closed. That was a decision by whoever the mod is. At least now we’ve got the token Spinal Tap reference going for us.

9. NO KIT TOO BIG

Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

I don’t frequently post photos of myself but I figure y’all would know by now I look nothing like the dude in the picture haha

I didn’t have a problem with what y’all said. I thought JY was calling the guy in the picture a show off. Dale, I thought you just didn’t care to answer the question.

I hope y’all know I had nothing to do with the thread being closed. That was a decision by whoever the mod is. At least now we’ve got the token Spinal Tap reference going for us.
    I had no idea, but I wanted to tell what I thought was you that your collection was awesome.

It sucks, but everyone used their real name and photo here, it’d be easier to avoid this. Honestly, I think it sucks that I “know” so many of you, but I don’t really “know” you.

11. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    I had no idea, but I wanted to tell what I thought was you that your collection was awesome.

It sucks, but everyone used their real name and photo here, it’d be easier to avoid this. Honestly, I think it sucks that I “know” so many of you, but I don’t really “know” you.
    Welcome to the Internet age.
    Way Too Much Crap

12. Registered User

I tinkered with the photo a bit and compressed the ends using some weird ratio I can't really explain how I came to. It looks like it's a 13/16/22 after all. Dang.

Edit: the PDF's dumpy image system doesn't show it in such stark contrast. View them here if you're interested: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...7&postcount=20