Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 44 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Big King View Post
    Hey guys! It's been a while.

I've not been here in a while. I check in from time to time but I haven't really been posting. Here's a bit of an update if you are interested.

Greetings from a 42 year old Big King! Wow... I am old. Sticks4Drums old...
    I had a falling out with my long time indie rock/Dance rock band Skyline Hotel and decided to leave that band. We had too many disagreements about gigs and recording and participation and roles in the band etc. I decided it was best to end my tenure with them. Which I did and looking back it was the right decision.

I am still with my punk/rock band Rocket City Riot. We are in the process of writing and recording new material. So far things sound great. I can't wait until it's done.

I am still playing with my stoner rock/heavy blues band; Floodlore. We are finalizing the 3rd Chapter of our current work in progress. We've been on Hiatus since September as our bassist welcomed his 3rd child into the world. But we are finalizing Chapter 3 and we may have a gig lined up. I think we are going to live stream our practice this weekend if the weather holds, they are calling for snow.

Overall... I am doing less drum playing and gigging that I have been over the last 2 years. That has been both good and bad at the same time. I love playing gigs, but it's a time and money sink. I do not love playing for 5 people in a tiny bar. I do not enjoy loading and unloading gear up and down stair cases to play for 5 people and get paid 6 dollars. It's becoming harder to want to say yes to these gigs because I know the hassle involved. I'd love to get involved with a good solid cover band and play paying gigs for actual money and in front of people. Cover bands seemed to have become the norm here in the DC area and they can make good money playing at all the new wineries and breweries that are in the DC metro area and surrounding areas.

Now for me... I've been going through some health issues. It's now become the time of my life where I need to start managing my health and I can't just ignore it and do whatever I want anymore. Over the last 6 years my weight has come back. I need to get back into the gym and i've started dieting to begin the process. I have also been diagnosed with severe anxiety disorder and bi-polarism and depression. I am currently undergoing regular therapy and I am taking medicines to help deal with this. Part of constant hi-anxiety is high blood pressure, so I am also now taking medicine to help with my high blood pressure. Again... loosing 30-50 pounds would really help in that department. I've learned a lot about who I am in 2018 and I am trying to become a better person to everyone around me but also to myself. I am doing much better. the therapy and medicine has really been helping. I still have bad days here and there, but they are fewer and fewer now. This is not something I can fix in a day or a week. It takes months and years. I've started the journey which is the hardest part.

So that's pretty much it for now. I also moved this year. Back in October my landlord, who I was living with, suddenly decided to sell the house and I had only a few weeks to move out. I now live in a large basement room in a new townhouse near my work and things are going good. I hope you guys are doing good as well.
    Get off my lawn! Good luck with the weight and mental health issues. People don't see mental health issues like they see other disabilities, but they are just as dibilitating as more obvious ones. I also deal with mental health issues, and it is a daily struggle to stay on the rails. Good luck to you my friend.

2. It's all about me...

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Wow. Looks gorgeous.

Freddie Mercury’s birthplace.
    Yep - restaurant I took that at is named after him....half the dishes have some Queen/Freddy reference in the name....

Kit Pix
    Pearl Drums | Pearl Hardware | Aquarian Heads | Zildjian Cymbals | Vater Sticks | Yamaha Electronics

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hex View Post
    Yep - restaurant I took that at is named after him....half the dishes have some Queen/Freddy reference in the name....
    Like Bohemian Raspberry turnovers?

...and when you eat it, your server sings Another One Bites the Crust???

4. It's all about me...

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    Like Bohemian Raspberry turnovers?

...and when you eat it, your server sings Another One Bites the Crust???

Lol. That'd be funny..... :P But nyet....unfortunately it wasn't that humorous....

Kit Pix
    Pearl Drums | Pearl Hardware | Aquarian Heads | Zildjian Cymbals | Vater Sticks | Yamaha Electronics

5. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hex View Post
    Lol. That'd be funny..... :P But nyet....unfortunately it wasn't that humorous....
    *crickets*
    Way Too Much Crap

6. NO KIT TOO BIG

Great afternoon gig today, sharing the stage with my Grandfather, and watching him demonstrate why he's been an in demand session player for the past 50 years. (After I reversed the kit - He's a lefty).

Name:  50754202_2176983562552023_2684133184500662272_n.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  56.3 KB
    Name:  50291341_2176983552552024_7841452608421101568_n.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  55.7 KB
    Name:  50512673_2176983565885356_758755201753546752_n.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  67.4 KB
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    Great afternoon gig today, sharing the stage with my Grandfather, and watching him demonstrate why he's been an in demand session player for the past 50 years. (After I reversed the kit - He's a lefty).
    He must be proud you followed in his footsteps.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    I agree with sticks....I'm sure your Grandfather is so proud of you when your performing! Very cool!

9. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TMdrums View Post
    I agree with sticks....I'm sure your Grandfather is so proud of you when your performing! Very cool!
    Thanks guys, it was a privilege indeed, I never tire of seeing him play.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    Thanks guys, it was a privilege indeed, I never tire of seeing him play.
    Great experience indeed.

11. Registered User

My wife and I went to see They Shall Not Grow Old last night. When it switched to color it took my breath away. It was like stepping back in time, as if a modern film crew went back in time and filmed the Western Front.

It's getting a wide release on February 1. If it's playing near you you have to go see it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Shall_Not_Grow_Old
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

12. Registered User

It's been a rough go for the rockers for a while. It started with my wife's grandma dying and then her uncle dying. He was a Vietnam veteran and his second wife had him out and about when he shouldn't have been. Slipped and fell on ice, broke his neck and died at the hospital. Then my mom had two mini strokes at the emergency room. Stayed in the hospital for a week and a week in a nursing home for rehabilitation. They released her to go home yesterday. My brother stop to check on her today and he said " if she hadn't said " help me get up" he wouldn't have saw her" she was wearing a white shirt and laying in the snow. Out side because she wanted to hang some cloths on the line. It's freaking 17 degrees here with a wind chill of -life!

So now we have to decide if we are gonna sell her home and get her an senior apartment ( and they are less than a block from my home ) or if she'll have to go to assisted living.

She had a back surgery 6 months ago and when recovering in that hospital they about O.D. on a pain med she's allergic to. She hasn't been the same since. I've heard that putting advanced aged people under for surgery can bring on dementia.

Life is precious and all we have is our health. Nothing else really matters. Cheers to all.