Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 57 of 69 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast
  1. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by David Hollywood View Post
    I have to say, I was shocked to come on here and see there wasn't a thread for this. We've had many threads for FAR less important drummers in the past. I don't know if that's just the decline of the PDF or what.

I think Hal was one of the most important and influential drummers ever. I've been listening to him since birth although I'll admit I was in college before I fully understood just how often I had heard him on various albums. One of the things I always think of is the time I picked up a Mamas & Papas collection and I popped it in without really thinking and after a few songs it occurs to me "This drumming is SO good... this has to be Hal Blaine, no way is this just some random 60s guy with musical chops like this..." and sure enough, it was. One of the most tasteful, musical, intelligent drummers I've ever heard. I'm glad he lived a long and successful life.
    Nicely said. Hal’s discography is second to none. We were al influenced by Hal, and probably didn’t realize it.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

2. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by David Hollywood View Post
    I have to say, I was shocked to come on here and see there wasn't a thread for this. We've had many threads for FAR less important drummers in the past. I don't know if that's just the decline of the PDF or what.

I think Hal was one of the most important and influential drummers ever. I've been listening to him since birth although I'll admit I was in college before I fully understood just how often I had heard him on various albums. One of the things I always think of is the time I picked up a Mamas & Papas collection and I popped it in without really thinking and after a few songs it occurs to me "This drumming is SO good... this has to be Hal Blaine, no way is this just some random 60s guy with musical chops like this..." and sure enough, it was. One of the most tasteful, musical, intelligent drummers I've ever heard. I'm glad he lived a long and successful life.
    Here you go Alex.

Name:  postnewthread.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  80.7 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

3. Registered User

So which PDF members have watched The Dirt- Motley Cre story on Netflix?

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    No one? Just curious of opinions.

5. Experienced Noob

No one? Just curious of opinions.
    It's in my list but I haven't gotten to it yet. I'm just chiming in to mention that the last 2 things I've watched on Netflix have been outstanding. They are Trigger Warning with Killer Mike & Ricky Gervais' After Life.

Just don't watch Trigger Warning in front of the kids. It has its share of NSFW moments.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    It's in my list but I haven't gotten to it yet. I'm just chiming in to mention that the last 2 things I've watched on Netflix have been outstanding. They are Trigger Warning with Killer Mike & Ricky Gervais' After Life. Just don't watch Trigger Warning in front of the kids. It has its share of NSFW moments.
    OMG, Mike. I just watched After Life last week. The part where the gal was talking about falling down by the spike... I laughed so hard my wife yelled in and told me to shut up. ( it was late and I was watching with headphones on ). But it was a fabulous watch. I think that's all the episodes (6) to the series, but I hope not.

7. Registered User

I watched it. Was a huge fan of Crue back in the day. Theater of Pain tour w/Loudness was my first concert. I was struck by how Mick was portrayed. He sort of tolerated the other guys. I wonder how true that was. I liked that he simply referred to Tommy as “drummer” instead of by name. The scene with Ozzy at the pool was INSANE!

8. Experienced Noob

OMG, Mike. I just watched After Life last week. The part where the gal was talking about falling down by the spike... I laughed so hard my wife yelled in and told me to shut up. ( it was late and I was watching with headphones on ). But it was a fabulous watch. I think that's all the episodes (6) to the series, but I hope not.
    Ricky Gervais made a comment the other day about filming season 2, so it looks like the show will go on (not sure when, though).

9. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    I watched it. Was a huge fan of Crue back in the day. Theater of Pain tour w/Loudness was my first concert. I was struck by how Mick was portrayed. He sort of tolerated the other guys. I wonder how true that was. I liked that he simply referred to Tommy as drummer instead of by name. The scene with Ozzy at the pool was INSANE!
    I can see it. He was 12yrs older than Tommy and look what a doofus he is.

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    I watched it. Was a huge fan of Crue back in the day. Theater of Pain tour w/Loudness was my first concert. I was struck by how Mick was portrayed. He sort of tolerated the other guys. I wonder how true that was. I liked that he simply referred to Tommy as “drummer” instead of by name. The scene with Ozzy at the pool was INSANE!
    Theater of Pain Cre w/ Loudness was my first concert too!

11. Registered User

Theater of Pain Cre w/ Loudness was my first concert too!
    No kidding. I grew up in St. Louis, so saw them there at the old Kiel Auditorium. I was not quite 12. Wasn't supposed to go but one of my older brother's friends got into trouble at school and the Dad (who was taking them all) yelled over to me, hanging on the porch of our house, asking if I wanted to go. A few hours later I'm watching Loudness tear the roof off that place and getting my first whiff of pot smoke.

12. The Hardware Guy

'Dr Feelgood was one of the first hard rock albums I got - right after I got into Guns N Roses and before I got into Metallica, I must have been 11 or 12. Still love that album today, not just because it was one of my first but because it's still a great record. I always wanted to see the Cre but by the time I was seeing bands of their ilk, Vince had left, then he came back and Tommy left. I finally got to see them on the Final Tour in 2015 and man, I've seen some gigs in my time, including some great bands and noteworthy performances - but that Cre show was by far the best show, in terms of spectacle, I've ever seen. Even Maiden's most recent tour didn't top it. I've never seen so much fire, pyro, explosions, lights, lasers, moving crane platforms - and not to mention a two-story, half-arena long drum ROLLERCOASTER - in one place. It didn't even matter that Vince can't sing anymore, nor that Mars looked like he wasn't real; Sixx and Lee were on point the entire night, and the show was amazing.

I've never got around to reading The Dirt - it's on my list; I've currently got to finish Slash's book, then I want to read The Heroin Diaries and then I'll read The Dirt - but I really enjoyed the biopic. I get that some some was fabricated, some stuff was left out, some stuff wasn't completely accurate, but it was really well done, the guys portraying the band did really well and made it believable. Apart from the fact none of them aged during the timeline...

But holy crap, I'd have loved to have seen Cre tear it up back in their heyday of the 80's and even early 90's. I don't think we'll ever see bands like that anymore; larger than life, getting up to the crazy antics they did. GnR might have assumed the moniker of "most dangerous band in the world", but Cre pretty much invented that and paved the way for them

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest