Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Registered User

Another Update: Seller insisted she doesn't want the cymbal back because it belonged to her late husband who passed 2 months ago. I told her, in that case, I will sell it and send her whatever $ it fetches. She responded "you don't have to do that." I replied "too late. It's already listed!"

2. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    Another Update: Seller insisted she doesn't want the cymbal back because it belonged to her late husband who passed 2 months ago. I told her, in that case, I will sell it and send her whatever $ it fetches. She responded "you don't have to do that." I replied "too late. It's already listed!"
    What a great thing to do, good to see that there's kindness with these things, I know many a guy who'd of just sold it and kept his money.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Yamaha and Dauz Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 7 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    What a great thing to do, good to see that there's kindness with these things, I know many a guy who'd of just sold it and kept his money.
    Dude... I couldn't sleep at night if I didn't do this. Thanks for the kind words.

4. The Hardware Guy

Sell it and donate the money to a charity in her name

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Sell it and donate the money to a charity in her name
    Why give it to a charity when I can give it directly to the person struggling to pay her late husband's medical bills? Besides; if she wants to donate to a charity, she can take the money I send her and donate it herself to a charity.

Kinda reminds me of a story. Years ago I worked for an employer who decided to take our Christmas bonus and donate it to a charity (of their choice). That was a real kick in the teeth.

6. The Hardware Guy

Because no one here knew she was struggling to pay medical bills. I can only go on what I read, which is she didn't want the cymbal back and was happy to refund you, and then refused your offer of giving her the money you get from selling it. Nothing about her struggling to pay for anything. From all accounts, it sounded like the opposite. Hence why I said give it to charity, since it didn't sound like she was struggling or in need of the money, whereas other people are.

We must be different. I never see giving anything to charity as a kick in the teeth. Especially when it's something not earned or entitled to.

Reminds me of a story. A member here sent me something I very much wanted. I offered to pay him for it, he refused any payment. I at least wanted to pay for the international shipping, which he also refused. Such a gesture of kindness and generosity couldn't just be "accepted", so I made a donation, to the value of the item, in his name to a charity of his home country.

PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”

7. Registered User

Because no one here knew she was struggling to pay medical bills. I can only go on what I read, which is she didn't want the cymbal back and was happy to refund you, and then refused your offer of giving her the money you get from selling it. Nothing about her struggling to pay for anything. From all accounts, it sounded like the opposite. Hence why I said give it to charity, since it didn't sound like she was struggling or in need of the money, whereas other people are.

We must be different. I never see giving anything to charity as a kick in the teeth. Especially when it's something not earned or entitled to.

Reminds me of a story. A member here sent me something I very much wanted. I offered to pay him for it, he refused any payment. I at least wanted to pay for the international shipping, which he also refused. Such a gesture of kindness and generosity couldn't just be "accepted", so I made a donation, to the value of the item, in his name to a charity of his home country.
    Sorry Bro. My reply didn't sound as kind as I had intended. I also forgot to disclose pertinent info relating to the story. My fault.

As for my charity story... My former employer was a piece of work. I'm not even sure if the even gave money to a charity. They most likely just pocketed it.

8. The Hardware Guy

I see. Once again, I can only go on what information I am given. It read that you felt it was a kick in the teeth that your former employer gave your bonus away to charity - no mention was made that he wasn't the nicest of people/bosses or that you thought he scammed you and your colleagues by pocketing the money instead.

PICSPICS 2

9. Registered User

I see. Once again, I can only go on what information I am given. It read that you felt it was a kick in the teeth that your former employer gave your bonus away to charity - no mention was made that he wasn't the nicest of people/bosses or that you thought he scammed you and your colleagues by pocketing the money instead.
    Fortunately, my new employer is excellent. No more kicks in the teeth!

About 25% of my band's gigs last year were unpaid charity gigs. Usually, they're a lot of fun. When a problem arises, it's usually because the organizer or venue doesn't know how to deal with a live band and we don't communicate well. One charity we stopped playing (after doing it 2 years in a row) was a benefit for a local family. It became apparent that the event was "losing steam" and community support was evaporating.