Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: MCX and MMC?

1. Hot **** Tamale!

Default MCX and MMC?

Has anyone here A/B'd an MCX and a MMC to hear if there major differences in tone and projection etc? I currently play on an MCX and it truly is a great kit but I am also curious if there are differences between the two. TIA!
    K3ith R

Pearl MCX/280 - 8x7,10x8,12x9, 13x9, 14x14,16x16,18x22
    Zildjian As, Ks, / Vic Firth 5A, Vater Mike Johnston model

2. Playing since 1976

I haven't specifically played a MCX and MMC tom next to each other, but I can tell you the subtle difference between a 6-ply, 7.5mm shell and a 6-ply, 5.4mm shell. First of all, the MMC drums will be lighter, which is refreshing (LOL), and especially noticeable in the floor toms and kick drums. The thinner shells tend to provide a lower fundamental tone (or note) in each drum, while the thicker shells tend to make the drums project a little more. So a Reference kit will overall play "louder" than a Reference Pure kit. For my own taste, I like the deeper tone of a thin shell, and "quieter" drums. For quieter drums, mine are still making me go deaf!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

3. Registered User

I can say that I have played both snare drums and I preferred the MCX snare,it seemed to have a little more body and was a little more focused sounding, probably due to the die cast hoops. As far as the toms, kick etc.. I have only played the mcx so I can't comment on the differences, the thinner shells, as D4L stated should give a little deeper tone and the super hoops will help aid in a little more resonance and openness to the overall sound.. Hope this helps.