Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by palmeris View Post
    yes I had a phone conversation with Spencer at Pearl back in March, he had set up a road show JR set and duplicated the issue, said that they overlooked designing a tom stop lock for that size tube and he was taking the issue back to engineering....I have emailed him asking for an update but so far no response...
    So just sent another email to Pearl as this has still not been addressed... last response from Spencer indicated he had no update but would check on it...that was a month ago and still nothing....

My grandson is asking every week when his drums will be fixed, I have shown him these comments and emails to Pearl... he is getting a real world life lesson in dealing with large corporations , customer service, and is forming his own bias based on the results.

2. NO KIT TOO BIG

So just sent another email to Pearl as this has still not been addressed... last response from Spencer indicated he had no update but would check on it...that was a month ago and still nothing....

My grandson is asking every week when his drums will be fixed, I have shown him these comments and emails to Pearl... he is getting a real world life lesson in dealing with large corporations , customer service, and is forming his own bias based on the results.
    Maybe give these a try? https://drumsonsale.com/gibraltar-gp...mory-lock.html
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

3. Purple Crazed

I would also recommend purchasing a memory lock from a different company. Since Pearl doesn't make one, it will resolve the issue faster and allow your grandson to keep playing.

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
    I would also recommend purchasing a memory lock from a different company. Since Pearl doesn't make one, it will resolve the issue faster and allow your grandson to keep playing.
    I appreciate the suggestions, but why should I go spend 10% of the original price of the kit to purchase something that may not solve the issue? If that is a Pearl solution, for me to purchase a competitors product to solve their issue, then they need to say that's their recommended fix so not only I, but everyone else that has, or may be looking to purchase this kit knows it and can make an informed decision that they need to shell out more money to obtain a working kit. Perhaps pearl will send me their competitors equipment if that's the fix.

They did respond to my latest email, escalating to a product marketing manager who indicated they had cast a part at the factory but it was too small allowing play in the memory lock slot. Don't know if that was recent or this was at the time of original manufacturing and they decided to release the product to market with this known issue. Either way this is a Pearl issue that they need to correct it. I , and my grandson hope they do so soon.

5. Chomp, Chomp

I appreciate the suggestions, but why should I go spend 10% of the original price of the kit to purchase something that may not solve the issue?
    So that the toms won’t spin around. I agree that Pearl dropped the ball in R&D, but a fix might be readily available for under $20 and your grandson will be happy. It’s not like we’re talking 10% of a $5,000 kit. If there is a store near you that has 5/8” memory locks, simply take the drum with you to ensure that they work. If there isn’t a store that has the clamps, just measure the receiving slot on your bass drum mount. The nubs on Pearl and Gibraltar memory locks are 3/8”.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    So that the toms won’t spin around. I agree that Pearl dropped the ball in R&D, but a fix might be readily available for under $20 and your grandson will be happy. It’s not like we’re talking 10% of a $5,000 kit. If there is a store near you that has 5/8” memory locks, simply take the drum with you to ensure that they work. If there isn’t a store that has the clamps, just measure the receiving slot on your bass drum mount. The nubs on Pearl and Gibraltar memory locks are 3/8”.
    Right after i got the kit set up, and before I even contacted Pearl Tech support I went back to guitar center and talked with the drum manager, brought in the toms and tubes to show him the issue, they had nothing that would fit on the 5/8 tube....its not the bass drum interface that is the issue , that's a standard 7/8 tube and came with stop locks. Its the tubes that go into the toms, they are smaller at 5/8 ...yes the nub slot on the tom is 3/8 but the tube diameter is 5/8.

Now if you want to find them and buy them , then send them to me I will report back if it solved the issue to Pearl and you....its easy to type on a keyboard its only 10% or its only 20 bucks when its someone else time and money your spending

The ones Music man was willing to sell me were $25.00 plus shipping .
    Last edited by palmeris; 07-25-2019 at 07:38 AM.

7. NO KIT TOO BIG

Right after i got the kit set up, and before I even contacted Pearl Tech support I went back to guitar center and talked with the drum manager, brought in the toms and tubes to show him the issue, they had nothing that would fit on the 5/8 tube....its not the bass drum interface that is the issue , that's a standard 7/8 tube and came with stop locks. Its the tubes that go into the toms, they are smaller at 5/8 ...yes the nub slot on the tom is 3/8 but the tube diameter is 5/8.

Now if you want to find them and buy them , then send them to me I will report back if it solved the issue to Pearl and you....its easy to type on a keyboard its only 10% or its only 20 bucks when its someone else time and money your spending

The ones Music man was willing to sell me were $25.00 plus shipping .
    See my link below, they should work fine.

https://www.steveweissmusic.com/prod...al-stand-parts

8. Chomp, Chomp

What a stupid thing to say. I’m sorry a $20 expense is problematic for you. One would think that $20 is a small price to pay to put a smile on your grandson’s face.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Many Paiste Cymbals

9. NO KIT TOO BIG

What a stupid thing to say. I’m sorry a $20 expense is problematic for you. One would think that $20 is a small price to pay to put a smile on your grandson’s face.
    X2 Why moan when something can be done about it.

10. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    I did some looking online, as you obviously did as well and it seems that 5/8” memory locks are not readily available. I found that strange as there’s a lot of stands that incorporate 5/8” tubing. It seems that Steve Weiss is the only one who has the memory locks available and they happen to be the hinged type. I’m sure that Pearl’s memory lock for that kit will not be the hinged type.
    Like you said, “why moan.” Spend $20 to make the little guy happy and when Pearl finally sends the parts, you can always sell the ones from Steve Weiss. If Pearl hasn’t yet manufactured this part, it could take a year to get it.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Many Paiste Cymbals

11. Registered User

its easy for you to spend other peoples money...why should i go spend my money on something that may not work...

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    x2... how do you know it will fix it...if it would of dont you think pearl would of suggested it? again real easy to sit there in front of your keyboard and spends someones elses time and money