Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Hi,
    So I purchased a JR set for my grandson who has taken up an interest in my full size kit, but at 7 years old its just way to big for him - He helped me set them up, tune them up and then we started the lessons of rock drumming 101....

The only issue so far is with the rack mount toms - they have a 5/8 diameter tube and mounts and are set up just like the regular mounts to accept the stop locks/ memory, however there were no stop locks / memory locks included for this 5/8 size so they just spin on the mount tube arms, no matter how tight you make the set screw after a few hits they just spin out of position...

I contacted Pearl tech support, who got right back to me the same day, and they admitted it was an engineering over sight when they went to the small 5/8 tube arms... that was over 2 months ago so i am hoping to report back soon that they have engineered a new stop lock and will be shipping a pair to me....hopefully they will also send to anyone else who has purchased this JR set as well....

I just sent a reminder email to Pearl so I hope to report back some good news on this issue soon

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by palmeris View Post
    Hi,
    So I purchased a JR set for my grandson who has taken up an interest in my full size kit, but at 7 years old its just way to big for him - He helped me set them up, tune them up and then we started the lessons of rock drumming 101....

The only issue so far is with the rack mount toms - they have a 5/8 diameter tube and mounts and are set up just like the regular mounts to accept the stop locks/ memory, however there were no stop locks / memory locks included for this 5/8 size so they just spin on the mount tube arms, no matter how tight you make the set screw after a few hits they just spin out of position...

I contacted Pearl tech support, who got right back to me the same day, and they admitted it was an engineering over sight when they went to the small 5/8 tube arms... that was over 2 months ago so i am hoping to report back soon that they have engineered a new stop lock and will be shipping a pair to me....hopefully they will also send to anyone else who has purchased this JR set as well....

I just sent a reminder email to Pearl so I hope to report back some good news on this issue soon
    Pearl does have some 5/8" stop locks. Perhaps you could try one to see if it works.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    Pearl does have some 5/8" stop locks. Perhaps you could try one to see if it works.
    I looked in their parts hardware catalog and didnt see any 5/8 stop locks... also would of thought spencer with Pearl tech support would of suggest that.. please share with me where you fond the pearl 5/8 stop locks. Thanks

4. Pearl Corporation USA

I looked in their parts hardware catalog and didnt see any 5/8 stop locks... also would of thought spencer with Pearl tech support would of suggest that.. please share with me where you fond the pearl 5/8 stop locks. Thanks
    Stop lock model ZD106A should work on a 5/8" pipe. They currently show on backorder tentative ETA shows a 7.15.19 delivery date. You can order through your favorite authorized Pearl dealer.

KISS uses Gibson guitars and PEARL drums because they want the Best!

5. Registered User

I believe the ones I'm referring to are used on the arms of boom stands (and not on the base of the stand). I wish I knew the part number. Maybe you could call Pearl and see if they know which one it is.

Another option would be using the Gibraltar SC-LDML memory lock for floor tom legs. It only goes up to 1/2", but if you replace the two tension rods (key bolts) used to tighten it with ones that are a little longer, it would work with the 5/8" tube. You can find those at drumfactorydirect.com

MM

6. Registered User

Thanks for the reply...i see that model on page 43 of the hardware catalog but dont think it will work with the tom holder mount ... would also of thought Pearl would of suggested that when i brought it to their attention back in March....of course if they are not available now maybe they were not available back then either...For the little they would cost i would purchase when they become available to see if it solves the problem.

I also sent another email to pearl this morning, its a bit concerning that they didnt answer the last one a month ago, asking if they have a resolution to the issue.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    I believe the ones I'm referring to are used on the arms of boom stands (and not on the base of the stand). I wish I knew the part number. Maybe you could call Pearl and see if they know which one it is.

Another option would be using the Gibraltar SC-LDML memory lock for floor tom legs. It only goes up to 1/2", but if you replace the two tension rods (key bolts) used to tighten it with ones that are a little longer, it would work with the 5/8" tube. You can find those at drumfactorydirect.com

MM
    yes I had a phone conversation with Spencer at Pearl back in March, he had set up a road show JR set and duplicated the issue, said that they overlooked designing a tom stop lock for that size tube and he was taking the issue back to engineering....I have emailed him asking for an update but so far no response...

8. Registered User

yes I had a phone conversation with Spencer at Pearl back in March, he had set up a road show JR set and duplicated the issue, said that they overlooked designing a tom stop lock for that size tube and he was taking the issue back to engineering....I have emailed him asking for an update but so far no response...
    I checked my stock and I have (2) of the stop locks like the one Al Percival recommended. Send me a PM is you want them.

9. Registered User

you have a pm, thanks so much, actually you have 2 because I forgot my email address in the first

10. Registered User

tried to send you a PM music man but nothing shows in my sent folder...sent a PM to myself and that one shows up in both the sent and inbox...not sure why yours are not showing...

11. Registered User

tried to send you a PM music man but nothing shows in my sent folder...sent a PM to myself and that one shows up in both the sent and inbox...not sure why yours are not showing...
    I replied to your message and sent you an email.

12. Music Lover

If thy enemy offends thee, buy his child a drum.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex Saturn (snare, bass drum, and toms); Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian AA, AAX, HHX, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army