Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 13
  1. I'll Fear no evil!!!

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    34

    Default Ludwig experts can you help?

    Hey everyone!

    Have a friend selling a Ludwig 14x8 snare which seems to be a Ludwig standard limited edition snare, but inside on the shell it says Ludwig classic maple and now I am a little bit confused! Can you give me some help? Thanks Name:  E41F2B16-C7F8-4E83-9F68-BDE521F6B917.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  35.4 KB
    Name:  7C361F26-71B8-48A1-96FA-EDE1A6BBA141.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  29.8 KB

  2. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,159

    Default

    I'm no expert, but according to the Ludwig USA website, that DOES look like the standard maple with black flame finish (LKS784XXBF). I have a couple guesses. First guess is that that first picture is NOT the inside of the drum of the second picture. The reason I started considering this is the screws closest to the inner shell sticker appear to be too close to the top of the shell. In other words, that first picture looks like it's the inside of a 6.5x14 snare drum, not an 8x14. If that truly is the inside of the snare, perhaps Ludwig put the wrong inner shell sticker on that drum? That was my second guess.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Name:  20180618_154431.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  57.3 KB
    1964 Ludwig Downbeat 6pc
    1976 Ludwig Stainless Steel 4pc
    DW Performance 7pc
    Ludwigs: '59 Auditorium,'59 Jazz Festival, '64 Supra (x2) ,'76 Supra,
    '78 6.5x14 Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs,
    "Black Beauty"

    DW Maple, Gretsch Free Floating 5.5 x10
    Zildjians: A Customs and Vintage As

  4. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rotarded View Post
    Name:  20180618_154431.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  57.3 KB
    I'm not understanding how this answers the OP's question?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  5. Chomp, Chomp

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    6,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I'm not understanding how this answers the OP's question?
    I don’t get it either. I’m no Ludwig expert, but I know they have two maple lines. I agree with your two possibilities.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

    Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

  6. Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Ludwig Classic Maple is listed as a 7 ply maple shell, the Standard Limited is also a 7 ply maple shell. So, these Standard Limited snares are Classic Maple shells/drums, with "limited" less expensive finishes, and could certainly have Classic Maple stickers installed on them.
    Last edited by Rotarded; 06-18-2018 at 08:55 PM.
    1964 Ludwig Downbeat 6pc
    1976 Ludwig Stainless Steel 4pc
    DW Performance 7pc
    Ludwigs: '59 Auditorium,'59 Jazz Festival, '64 Supra (x2) ,'76 Supra,
    '78 6.5x14 Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs,
    "Black Beauty"

    DW Maple, Gretsch Free Floating 5.5 x10
    Zildjians: A Customs and Vintage As

  7. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rotarded View Post
    Ludwig Classic Maple is listed as a 7 ply maple shell, the Standard Limited is also a 7 ply maple shell. So, these Standard Limited snares are Classic Maple shells/drums, with "limited" less expensive finishes, and could certainly have Classic Maple stickers installed on them.
    So you're thinking they took the Classic Maple shell, and didn't make special shell stickers for the Standard Maple. I guess that's a possibility too, but that doesn't make sense.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  8. Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Ludwig's history is littered with things that don't make sense. The 60's and 70's Standard wood snares were the exact same shells as the coveted Jazz Festivals, just with cheaper finishes and hardware. Hell, there are dozens of examples like Supraphonics with bowtie lugs, Acrolites with Imperial lugs, Wood supersensative snares, and more.
    History shows that with Ludwig, anything is possible.
    1964 Ludwig Downbeat 6pc
    1976 Ludwig Stainless Steel 4pc
    DW Performance 7pc
    Ludwigs: '59 Auditorium,'59 Jazz Festival, '64 Supra (x2) ,'76 Supra,
    '78 6.5x14 Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs,
    "Black Beauty"

    DW Maple, Gretsch Free Floating 5.5 x10
    Zildjians: A Customs and Vintage As

  9. I'll Fear no evil!!!

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Hey guys thank you so much for your help! I am almost certain that Rotarded is right, I didn’t know Ludwig has this history of not making sense on shells and hardware so now I understand why the confusion! Do you guys know if there is a major difference in quality and sound on a standard Maple shell and a classic maple shell? Thanks again

  10. Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giuliano Kolling View Post
    Hey guys thank you so much for your help! I am almost certain that Rotarded is right, I didn’t know Ludwig has this history of not making sense on shells and hardware so now I understand why the confusion! Do you guys know if there is a major difference in quality and sound on a standard Maple shell and a classic maple shell? Thanks again
    The one way to find out, other than a response from Ludwig, is to measure the thickness of the shell. If it is 6mm thick, it's the same shell.
    Food for thought as well: Ludwig makes runs of shells, probably in the hundreds, unlike boutique makers. If a particular shell/snare is not selling enough, what would be the best way to move the extra? Offer a "limited edition" and add cheaper finishes at a price point designed to clear the inventory.?
    My bet is that shell IS a classic maple 7ply 6mm maple shell, and no one told Edna the sticker lady that these were different models when she arrived to work that monday.
    1964 Ludwig Downbeat 6pc
    1976 Ludwig Stainless Steel 4pc
    DW Performance 7pc
    Ludwigs: '59 Auditorium,'59 Jazz Festival, '64 Supra (x2) ,'76 Supra,
    '78 6.5x14 Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs,
    "Black Beauty"

    DW Maple, Gretsch Free Floating 5.5 x10
    Zildjians: A Customs and Vintage As

  11. I'll Fear no evil!!!

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rotarded View Post
    The one way to find out, other than a response from Ludwig, is to measure the thickness of the shell. If it is 6mm thick, it's the same shell.
    Food for thought as well: Ludwig makes runs of shells, probably in the hundreds, unlike boutique makers. If a particular shell/snare is not selling enough, what would be the best way to move the extra? Offer a "limited edition" and add cheaper finishes at a price point designed to clear the inventory.?
    My bet is that shell IS a classic maple 7ply 6mm maple shell, and no one told Edna the sticker lady that these were different models when she arrived to work that monday.
    Thanks for that mate! I might ask my friend to measure the shell just to make sure! Still need to sell my Black Panther to buy this one! Always wanted a 14x8 and I believe this would be an awesome snare to add to my arsenal!

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    4,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giuliano Kolling View Post
    Thanks for that mate! I might ask my friend to measure the shell just to make sure! Still need to sell my Black Panther to buy this one! Always wanted a 14x8 and I believe this would be an awesome snare to add to my arsenal!
    Do you use the term "friend" loosely? Is the seller nearby to your locality? I totally agree with what's been hypothesised previously that (save for any camera lens distortion...) the shell in the photo with the sticker does not look anywhere near as deep.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •