Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 25
  1. th droids yerlookn4

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    5,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrickTamlin View Post
    So, I've been playing drums for 35 years, and for the entire time, my main setup has been either a four or five piece kit with one bass drum, but I recently decided that I'd like to learn to play double bass. After playing one bass drum for so long, it feels very awkward, especially since my right foot is so much stronger, and my left foot is underdeveloped. I realize that it will take some time, dedication, and good old fashioned practice, but I was just wondering if there are any good exercises or video tutorials that might help. I can play a basic beat using my left foot, and I've been doing that a little bit, but if anyone has any pointers on how to develop the strength in my left foot, that would be great.
    my first suggestion ,,,and the most inexpensive , turn your entire kit around ...play it backwards for a while not only does it build strength, but it help those little nuances like that bouncy trick you do on the led zep song or what have you ...
    this is a personal thing , but i prefer the feel of two actual bass drums with two matching pedals ..over a double pedal ... for me , a double pedal is a quick easy to use tool for quickly setting up for gigs . but if i was going to seriously play a LOT of double bass id bring the full rig
    also ...another tip get an x hat ... this way you have second hat , closed at the ready . take your normal songs you practice to , and lead with your opposite foot .try to get your weak foot to play all the dominant parts ..

  2. th droids yerlookn4

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    5,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrickTamlin View Post
    So, I've been playing drums for 35 years, and for the entire time, my main setup has been either a four or five piece kit with one bass drum, but I recently decided that I'd like to learn to play double bass. After playing one bass drum for so long, it feels very awkward, especially since my right foot is so much stronger, and my left foot is underdeveloped. I realize that it will take some time, dedication, and good old fashioned practice, but I was just wondering if there are any good exercises or video tutorials that might help. I can play a basic beat using my left foot, and I've been doing that a little bit, but if anyone has any pointers on how to develop the strength in my left foot, that would be great.
    my first suggestion ,,,and the most inexpensive , turn your entire kit around ...play it backwards for a while not only does it build strength, but it help those little nuances like that bouncy trick you do on the led zep song or what have you ...
    this is a personal thing , but i prefer the feel of two actual bass drums with two matching pedals ..over a double pedal ... for me , a double pedal is a quick easy to use tool for quickly setting up for gigs . but if i was going to seriously play a LOT of double bass id bring the full rig
    also ...another tip get an x hat ... this way you have second hat , closed at the ready . take your normal songs you practice to , and lead with your opposite foot .try to get your weak foot to play all the dominant parts ..

  3. th droids yerlookn4

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    5,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrickTamlin View Post
    So, I've been playing drums for 35 years, and for the entire time, my main setup has been either a four or five piece kit with one bass drum, but I recently decided that I'd like to learn to play double bass. After playing one bass drum for so long, it feels very awkward, especially since my right foot is so much stronger, and my left foot is underdeveloped. I realize that it will take some time, dedication, and good old fashioned practice, but I was just wondering if there are any good exercises or video tutorials that might help. I can play a basic beat using my left foot, and I've been doing that a little bit, but if anyone has any pointers on how to develop the strength in my left foot, that would be great.
    my first suggestion ,,,and the most inexpensive , turn your entire kit around ...play it backwards for a while not only does it build strength, but it help those little nuances like that bouncy trick you do on the led zep song or what have you ...
    this is a personal thing , but i prefer the feel of two actual bass drums with two matching pedals ..over a double pedal ... for me , a double pedal is a quick easy to use tool for quickly setting up for gigs . but if i was going to seriously play a LOT of double bass id bring the full rig
    also ...another tip get an x hat ... this way you have second hat , closed at the ready . take your normal songs you practice to , and lead with your opposite foot .try to get your weak foot to play all the dominant parts ..

  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    The Old World
    Posts
    191

    Default

    I've had a double pedal from almost the very beginning and I've always used it for something, but never got good or at least never stayed good. It's a really special skill, I sort of think of (heavy usage of) it even as a separate thing from drum set playing.

    Unless there's something really wrong with me, and only me, it's almost purely a physical thing. Back when I dedicated substantial amounts of time to practicing just straight single strokes, there was really no mental problem in using "the other" foot. For me the problem was, and still is balance . If you're physically strong enough to sit on a stool with your back straight and lift both legs up in the air without falling forward or otherwise stumbling, I'd wager you're good to go! I wasn't there, and these days I'm... back to not kind of being there.

    Progress was very slow, but I eventually got to being able to do steady 16th single strokes at 140-150 bpm (and faster, and of course more varied stuff but it was sloppy). At that point I could also easily do and regularly did 40+ unsupported sit-ups and I doubt there's any simple coincidence there. I was younger (I mean I'm still young, but I used to be younger !) and in good shape... and with something to live for etc. Oh man.

    With my "part-time" approach, it took several years to get to a practical level. I would guess if you really put time and effort into it you'll be playing extreme metal gigs within a year. I'm not really even an active drummer in general these days but I still have a primitively usable backup kick foot. You've been playing drums for roughly as long as I've been alive... but just go for it! You can do it if you want to.

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    The Old World
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    my first suggestion ,,,and the most inexpensive , turn your entire kit around ...play it backwards for a while not only does it build strength, but it help those little nuances like that bouncy trick you do on the led zep song or what have you ...
    this is a personal thing , but i prefer the feel of two actual bass drums with two matching pedals ..over a double pedal ... for me , a double pedal is a quick easy to use tool for quickly setting up for gigs . but if i was going to seriously play a LOT of double bass id bring the full rig
    also ...another tip get an x hat ... this way you have second hat , closed at the ready . take your normal songs you practice to , and lead with your opposite foot .try to get your weak foot to play all the dominant parts ..
    I've done the mirrored kit thing a couple of times. It's amazing for your coordination in general. Interestingly the most difficult part is operating the hi hat pedal with the "wrong" foot. That's seriously confusing. Normally it never crosses your mind that the HH foot needs to be that nuanced motorically, since in most basic stuff you think it just kind of sits there doing nothing and you raise it every once in a while, no big deal. Couldn't be farther from the truth.

  6. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Earth, The Milky Way
    Posts
    637

    Default

    this book is great
    https://www.amazon.com/Double-Bass-D.../dp/0634050893
    start slow
    control is the key

  7. th droids yerlookn4

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    5,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhatIsIt View Post
    I've done the mirrored kit thing a couple of times. It's amazing for your coordination in general. Interestingly the most difficult part is operating the hi hat pedal with the "wrong" foot. That's seriously confusing. Normally it never crosses your mind that the HH foot needs to be that nuanced motorically, since in most basic stuff you think it just kind of sits there doing nothing and you raise it every once in a while, no big deal. Couldn't be farther from the truth.
    i apologize for the multi posting ...the site crash whilst i was posting ...in fact this post might double ..sorry in advance

  8. th droids yerlookn4

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    5,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhatIsIt View Post
    I've done the mirrored kit thing a couple of times. It's amazing for your coordination in general. Interestingly the most difficult part is operating the hi hat pedal with the "wrong" foot. That's seriously confusing. Normally it never crosses your mind that the HH foot needs to be that nuanced motorically, since in most basic stuff you think it just kind of sits there doing nothing and you raise it every once in a while, no big deal. Couldn't be farther from the truth.
    honestly i dont think my right hi hat pedal foot will ever be as good as my left ...my normal,left foot just has a mind of its own almost .

  9. Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    The Old World
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    honestly i dont think my right hi hat pedal foot will ever be as good as my left ...my normal,left foot just has a mind of its own almost .
    It's a sneaky little thing alright. I actually noticed when listening to some old practice sessions from waaay back that my (regular) hihat foot used to be noticeably sloppier (whereas hand sticking might actually have been faster/steadier than it is now). It was like everything's good, sounds fine but then there's a fast open hi-hat fill thing that's out of sync messed up. I don't really know if it was the foot itself even back then (probably not)... but I realized whenever I've been practising those patterns, I never did think "ok, now flex the left foot". It was "hi-hat open, hi-hat this, hi-hat that". Kind of like "a mind of it's own" thing like you put it, it develops subconsciously over time and you don't know exactly what's going on.

  10. Purple Crazed

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,404

    Default

    Here is another good book: https://www.amazon.com/Double-Bass-D...-fkmrnull&ref=

    I also imagine running in place . . . really fast.

    Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    6x7 | 6x7 | 8x7 | 8x7 | 8x8 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 18x14G | 20x14G | 18x16 | 20x16 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

  11. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    20,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    i apologize for the multi posting ...the site crash whilst i was posting ...in fact this post might double ..sorry in advance
    That's ok. Just use more ellipses.

    .................................................. .......
    Way Too Much Crap

  12. th droids yerlookn4

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    5,739

    Default

    ellipses?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •