Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Demon Speeding

Default Vintage maple shell value?

I'm looking for some older Pearl maple shells that I can piece together for a project kit, unless I can find a full kit that has the components I want. What I need to know is how to judge the value of a vintage Pearl maple shell. I live in Canada and it seems most of the good stuff is found in the US so paying for shipping alone can eat into my budget. Does a vintage maple shell hold it's value to the point where you'd expect to pay the same as if you were purchasing a more current and used Masters series maple shell?

The bass drum here is advertised on ebay as a Made in Japan, KISS-era 22" bass drum shell in Silver Pearl. From the description, I would assume this to be a mid to late 70's maple shell. The seller wants $232 for the shell alone - no hardware or hoops. Is this a reasonable price considering I'd also have to pay around $100 to have it shipped?

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  29.7 KB

Name:  02.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  25.0 KB

2. ...A mind like Water...

I would not spend that kind of cash for this shell...Not even for a new Master's shell. Unless this is your rare ultra unicorn drum that you can make to match your dream vintage kit I would move forward. It depends on how bad you want it.
    SELLING: Pearl Session Custom Maple (SMX) Marine Blue Fade - Near mint - 10x8, 12x9, 16x16, 22x18 - PM me for details!

3. Registered User

No hardware or hoops? Grossly overpriced.

4. Pearl Masters Drummer

$300 for that is not a good deal. To give a you a an idea, I got a Masters Studio 20x16 kick and 15 inch floor tom on ebay for $400 both in really nice condition.

5. Rockin' the Cosmos..

that auction has been on ebay forever and there's a reason why ... the shell alone is not worth that cash nor would it be with hardware .. it's not from 70's either because it has 80-83 badges and it's Silver Satin wrap .. the seller is delusional .. he threw that KISS era crap in there to make some fanboy buy it ..lulz
    Last edited by BadAstronaut; 06-13-2018 at 12:45 PM.

6. Registered User

Wow...didn't realize there was a market for Pearl maple shells. Chad, I know of a complete set of '81 Pearl maple drums. The set configuration looks a lot like one of your avatars. PM me for more info if interested.

Bernie
    Pearl Maple Custom
    Pearl MMX
    Pearl MHX
    Pintech/Roland electronics
    Zildjian
    Protools

7. Registered User

Forget about this drum.

Out of interest; how are you sourcing the hardware for your "project"?
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

8. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    I know of a complete set of '81 Pearl maple drums. The set configuration looks a lot like one of your avatars
    lol .. so the set is a white S?

9. Registered User

Ha.....Bad choice of words on my part! Chad has a picture on another post of a one up, two down config.
    Pearl Maple Custom
    Pearl MMX
    Pearl MHX
    Pintech/Roland electronics
    Zildjian
    Protools

10. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Ha.....Bad choice of words on my part! Chad has a picture on another post of a one up, two down config.
    haha .. what pictures you referring to as I searched real quick and I didnt see any 1 up 2 down kits

11. Registered User

Wow...didn't realize there was a market for Pearl maple shells. Chad, I know of a complete set of '81 Pearl maple drums. The set configuration looks a lot like one of your avatars. PM me for more info if interested.

Bernie
    I don't know that there's much of a market, but in my opinion they're very desirable! I've been playing a 1980 Pearl Maple shell Big Beat kit for a few months now and I think I've found that it's my dream kit! They really are the best sounding drums I've ever played, and the Walnut lacquer finish on mine is gorgeous! I'm not saying they're the best for everybody, but to me they're just absolutely perfect! I love the internal tone control mufflers on them too. That's something I always miss on modern kits.