Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: An Oversight?

1. Registered User

Default An Oversight?

Just thought I would post what I believe to be an oversight on Pearl's part. It seems when they added the 14" rack tom to this series, they forgot to make the lug design 6per side, to match the 14" and 16" floor toms. Going with the preferred 8per side is going to make my 16" feel inadequate when my 14" rack and 18" floor toms have 8per. I don't want them picking on the 16".

Maybe Pearl would like to change the lug count on the 14" rack tom to maintain the design consistency in the series. Or who knows...maybe now they are making all 14"+ sizes with 8 lugs per side. I know there was some grumbling about that when the series was first introduced. Anybody know?

2. Registered User

Probably just cheaper/more efficient, as I'd imagine that the snares in the series have the same hoops; eight holes per side.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

3. Chomp, Chomp

I’m guessing that the tom mount wouldn’t fit if there were only six lugs.
    Drumming since 1961.
    MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Paiste Cymbals

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    The likelihood is high!
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    Hmmmm....I had not thought about that. I will see if the tom mount looks to have extra spacing on the 13" tom, enough to maybe reach if it were mounted on a slightly larger diameter. Good call!

6. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by bgarcia17 View Post
    Hmmmm....I had not thought about that. I will see if the tom mount looks to have extra spacing on the 13" tom, enough to maybe reach if it were mounted on a slightly larger diameter. Good call!
    A 14" tom with 6 lugs would required the tom mount to have an additional 0.5" on each side. I bet the mount for your 13" tom doesn't have that extra room.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    A 14" tom with 6 lugs would required the tom mount to have an additional 0.5" on each side. I bet the mount for your 13" tom doesn't have that extra room.
    I bet you're right. I should know tonight, when my 24/13/16 kit is delivered.

I don't remember if the 14" rack tom was offered when this series was first introduced. But when the decision was made to include a 14" rack tom in the series, I wonder what discussions were held regarding how it would look to be the only tom with 8 lugs per side, aside from the monster 18" floor of course. Details like this make me chuckle at the whole "a decade in the making" marketing speak. They really should have made all 14"+ toms have 8 lugs per side. Then I wouldn't have wasted all these digital bits with this discussion.

8. Demon Speeding

Quote Originally Posted by bgarcia17 View Post
    Details like this make me chuckle at the whole "a decade in the making" marketing speak.
    You're absolutely correct with that statement. However, at the end of the day, this IS Pearl's "affordable maple kit" option for musicians on a budget so I wouldn't expect the company to invest a lot of R&D time into higher end features.