Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Boy_Narf View Post
    Update. I ordered a hoop with a riser from a custom drum company in Canada. It is a bit more simple than I though it would be considering the price but it seems to be working. The simple threaded screw system he has in place gives me a bit of adjust ability as well (got it matching my spur height perfectly). Compared the stock hoop, it seems to have slightly less volume, but increased sustain. Tone seems improved now as well. Much more punchy and less beach ball that's for sure! My only complaint is now that the beater is closer to the middle I'm fighting beater bounce when burying. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Defiantly not as bad as on my 22".

Ah yes and I decided to leave it raw primary to save money. I do a bit of wood working from time to time, so I might end up throwing some stain on there once the weather improves. That said, it's not the ugliest thing I've seen
    It looks good, but you could also just have someone drill a BT-3 mount into the bottom of the shell and then use a Pearl Jungle Gig pedal mount along with the original yellow hoop.

MM
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

2. Registered User

Yea I could have modded the shell, but decided it would be best to leave it alone. This hoop is an easy swap out for the time being. Got some new skins OTW so ill do an in depth comparison on shells/beater heights once i get them installed.
    Practice Kit:
    Pearl: 14X3.5FFM, 16X16DM, 18X14DM
    A Cstm: 13" MS Hats, 10" Spl, 20 Proj, 18" EFX, 6.5" ZilBel, 12" Chopper

Gig Kit:
    Pearl: 13X3 Map Pic, 14" Masters MCX, 16" Export Kick
    A Cstm: 13" MS Hats, 20" Proj, 6.5" ZilBel, 8" Spl

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Boy_Narf View Post
    Yea I could have modded the shell, but decided it would be best to leave it alone. This hoop is an easy swap out for the time being. Got some new skins OTW so ill do an in depth comparison on shells/beater heights once i get them installed.
    Sounds good.

4. Purple Crazed

I just saw this thread. Congratulations on your successful order. 18x14 is my favorite bass drum size.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    It looks good, but you could also just have someone drill a BT-3 mount into the bottom of the shell and then use a Pearl Jungle Gig pedal mount along with the original yellow hoop.

MM
    I know that you've done this modification but if he went this route, would he have any issues with pedal (and/or beater)-head distance due to the hoop width? (Although it does not apply to a custom modification like yours) I have used the Jungle Gig for a 16" and an 18" floor tom conversion in the past, but I never measured the pedal distance to the head. I had to adjust my beater arm angle on my DW pedal when I used a Gibraltar bass drum lift.

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    14x5 | 6x7 | 8x7 | 8x8 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 18x16 | 20x14G | 18x14 | 20x16 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
    I just saw this thread. Congratulations on your successful order. 18x14 is my favorite bass drum size.

I know that you've done this modification but if he went this route, would he have any issues with pedal (and/or beater)-head distance due to the hoop width? (Although it does not apply to a custom modification like yours) I have used the Jungle Gig for a 16" and an 18" floor tom conversion in the past, but I never measured the pedal distance to the head. I had to adjust my beater arm angle on my DW pedal when I used a Gibraltar bass drum lift.
    I always install the center of the tube hole of the BT-3 mount 2.75" from the batter edge (of the kick drum shell) and use 1.5" wood hoops (with no cut out).

The JG16 pedal mount enables the Pearl pedal chain to clear the wood hoop by about 3/4" when it is attached to the pedal mount. I haven't had any issues with beater angle, but someone who is particular about it might feel differently.

The angle is really no different that if the pedal was clamped to the hoop itself.

MM

6. Registered User

These notifications keep ending up in my junk bin...

Anyway after doing many back and forth comparisons, I've decided that the riser doesn't make much of a difference. Expensive test, but good to know going forward in the future. I did not detect and discernible difference in punch with or without the riser. The difference is when the riser is on I get beater flutter when burying. Putting the stock rim back on and being quite far above centre feels WAY better to me. So I installed the stock hoop and put the riser up for sale. I also ordered new skins and decided to "GASP" port the stock reso :O I haven't played a ported head in a decade as I far prefer the tone of unported. This drum however really seems to have opened up. As my singer put it, "it sounds like a gunshot", haha. It's super punchy and there is 0 beater flutter. It honestly sounds amazing. Of course it's not the loudest kick, and when the full band comes over I mic it up through the Bose L1M2B2 just to add a little bump. Super impressed. I also swaped my stock pearl 4 sided beater with a VicKick wood beater. What an upgrade! Ever more punch! Kick doesn't get lost in the band mix anymore.

My only complaint as I have with both of my DM drums, is that the lugs just won't stay put. I have to tune my tom after every jam, and have just noticed that the drum claws came so loose the skin is rotating (never had that issue before). Looks like I'll need to invest in some of those "lug locks". I'm starting to understand the appeal of high end drums. I play a Masters MCX floor tom live and I never need to tune that thing (unless it's -40 out of course). It's rock solid.

Oh well. The kick is sounding soo good I can't be all that mad at it Still fumbling with the FT though. Some days love it, others I vow to go tomless hahaha.
    Practice Kit:
    Pearl: 14X3.5FFM, 16X16DM, 18X14DM
    A Cstm: 13" MS Hats, 10" Spl, 20 Proj, 18" EFX, 6.5" ZilBel, 12" Chopper

Gig Kit:
    Pearl: 13X3 Map Pic, 14" Masters MCX, 16" Export Kick
    A Cstm: 13" MS Hats, 20" Proj, 6.5" ZilBel, 8" Spl