Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Demon Speeding

Default Badge Removal on Vintage Drums

If a guy was going to refinish a drum, can this style of badge be removed and reapplied without too much trouble? Are there any tricks to it?

Name:  pearlbadge.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  18.1 KB

2. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by Chad1200 View Post
    If a guy was going to refinish a drum, can this style of badge be removed and reapplied without too much trouble? Are there any tricks to it?

Name:  pearlbadge.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  18.1 KB
    yes .. I've done it plenty of times with same badges .. to get tack nails out use needle nose pliers first .. under badges is double sided tape so use a hairdryer to warm up badges and use a putty knife to lift badges off clean .. you can also use dental floss, fishing string or a guitar string .. just take your time and badges will come off clean with no bends/creases and can be installed back on shell like nothing ever happened

but I see it's a wrap on shell so you could easily just rip off wrap with badges still on and tack nails will come out shell that way and then remove badges from wrap .. under wrap is 2 strips of double side tape where wrap seam is .. one on actual shell and other on wrap, so use hairdryer/heatgun to heat up double sided tape and carefully remove wrap from seams/shells

before you refinish you have to get all that tape residue off shell and then sand .. if not done right you will see outline of residue when staining but if you're painting then it doesn't matter
    Last edited by BadAstronaut; 06-05-2018 at 10:49 AM.

3. Demon Speeding

Good info, BadAstronaut. I've been looking for an older maple shell kit and didn't want to tackle a refinishing project if dealing with those badges would be a pain.

Thanks!

4. Rockin' the Cosmos..

No prob. Here's some pics to show how I remove badges from wrapped shells

hairdryer and putty knife used at wrap seam .. in this case it's on back of this snare drum .. next I just cut wrap in sections to remove section of wrap with badges, then remove badge easily from wrap with needle nose pliers
    Attached Images Attached Images     

5. Rockin' the Cosmos..

more pics .. badges come off clean this way on wraps .. next I get remaining double sided tape off shell and then use a product called goo gone to get rid of tape residue from shell and let area dry out .. after that's done you just sand with some 220 and refinish

6. Registered User

warm up the badge with a heat gun or hair dryer and slide a High "E"" Guitar string underneath it and it lifts right off...two faced tape can be removed with acetone....can usually do it with no bending f the badge...just be sure to label the badge as to which drum it came off of so you match the arc and serial numbers!
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!

7. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Nice advice, BA.

8. Demon Speeding

Those are great pictures, BadAstronaut. Thanks a a lot!!

9. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Nice advice, BA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad1200 View Post
    Those are great pictures, BadAstronaut. Thanks a a lot!!
    thanks .. here's what that same snare looks like after 220 sanding, 4 coats of Honey Maple wood dye and lacquered multiple times, before installing hardware and badges ..

10. Pearl does it for me

Great advice BA, and nice work on the snare

11. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    thanks .. here's what that same snare looks like after 220 sanding, 4 coats of Honey Maple wood dye and lacquered multiple times, before installing hardware and badges ..
    What lacquer did you use? Is that spray?

12. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by 3pearlkits View Post
    Great advice BA, and nice work on the snare
    thanks 3pk

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    What lacquer did you use? Is that spray?
    dale .. yes it's sprayed .. I use spray guns and air compressor .. I used DEFT lacquer sanding sealer as first coat and Watco clear lacquer multiple times .. buffed and polished after curing