Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    dale .. yes it's sprayed .. I use spray guns and air compressor .. I used DEFT lacquer sanding sealer as first coat and Watco clear lacquer multiple times .. buffed and polished after curing
    I’m going to be doing some art on these shells I just bought and I’m debating if I want to send/give the drums back to GMS or do them myself.

2. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Iím going to be doing some art on these shells I just bought and Iím debating if I want to send/give the drums back to GMS or do them myself.
    you mean the GMS kit you bought back? If you've never done any refinishing before and aren't confident in your skills then I'd advise you to practice on scrap first or let experienced people do it for you .... in a nutshell the key to spraying is LIGHT and EVEN coats .. then there's sanding, wet sanding, polishing, buffing
    80's Pearl 'G' Maple in Emerald Forest Lacquer -10x8, 12x8, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16, 22x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl 'G' Maple in CherryRoseWine Lacquer -12x8, 13x9, 15x12, 16x14, 18x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl 'G' Maple in factory Walnut Lacquer - 14x10, 18x16, 22x14, 26x14
    New kit under construction .......

3. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

you mean the GMS kit you bought back? If you've never done any refinishing before and aren't confident in your skills then I'd advise you to practice on scrap first or let experienced people do it for you .... in a nutshell the key to spraying is LIGHT and EVEN coats .. then there's sanding, wet sanding, polishing, buffing
    No. Those I decided to leave the finish alone, but may do something about the rims and/or lugs. I’m talking about these raw ash shells I got. We

4. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    No. Those I decided to leave the finish alone, but may do something about the rims and/or lugs. Iím talking about these raw ash shells I got. We
    oh cool .. got any pics? .. are you leaving shells raw and doing artwork over them, then clear coat over art?
    80's Pearl 'G' Maple in Emerald Forest Lacquer -10x8, 12x8, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16, 22x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl 'G' Maple in CherryRoseWine Lacquer -12x8, 13x9, 15x12, 16x14, 18x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl 'G' Maple in factory Walnut Lacquer - 14x10, 18x16, 22x14, 26x14
    New kit under construction .......

5. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

oh cool .. got any pics? .. are you leaving shells raw and doing artwork over them, then clear coat over art?
    I am doing the artwork and then looking to finish them. I want the finish to look good though, hence why I ask. I am taking chances here with this art, but at the same time, the style of drums themselves are a risk. Like the percussion I design and make for KCAP, they are different and not for everyone.