Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. The Sensitone Guy

I started playing drums my Freshman year of college. I took about three lessons and found them worthless. Started teaching myself and developed just fine.

2. Registered User

Started on a snare drum at age 6 and graduated up to a cheap 3 piece kit at age 8. Drumming just seemed to come natural for me and I picked up on rudiments/rolls etc. fairly quickly but I realized at age 12 I was missing out on so much more by not being able to read music. I could play about anything I wanted to on the drum kit but could never repeat it because I didn't know what I had just played. At age 12 I started taking lessons from an incredible teacher that had previously played with some very successful bands in the 60's, I learned to read music and after a couple of years, I saved up and bought a professional Ludwig kit. We moved and that was the end of my lessons. I did take a year of Piano lessons around age 10 but piano never intrigued me like the drums did.
    Tho I see nothing wrong with self taught musicians, I still feel at some point lessons from an accomplished teacher can be very beneficial, especially if your intentions are to take your drumming to another level. Learning to read music was the most beneficial part for me because as I stated earlier, I had no idea what I was playing or how to repeat what I was playing.

3. NO KIT TOO BIG

I was drums from the start, Grandad is a session drummer and teacher, so started as soon as I could hold sticks. Got a full size kit age 2, and never stopped since. Swapped the starter kit for a Mapex M kit, then traded that with Grandad (who sold it and gave me) a 1976 Ludwig Superclassic in Bowling ball blue oyster. Added a new Pearl export (monster) to my arsenal, and then a Tama Imperialstar (1979) and a new Natal Cafe Racer bop kit. I guess I learned the 'right' way. Reading from the start (which i'm now thankful for) and taking piano lessons to further my theory (which I hated). But everything I was ever taught has impacted my playing massively, teaching me technique, feel, stamina and how to be more of an all rounder. I took what I was taught further, working out the single and double-hand crossovers, and 4 way independence, and in wanting to build my left hand to match my right, spending a lot of time learning to play open handed, Simon Phillips style, adopting the philosophy of what one hand can do, the other should too. Formal training got me here, and i'm ever grateful for those years of lessons and practice pad work.

I owe everything I know to this guy, Paul Smith.
    Name:  IMG_9130 Paul Smith.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  88.0 KB
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

4. Drum Ninja

Was self taught until I got into the Army band. I started taking lessons to cover the areas I didn't have experience with.
    RBH Monarch Drums in Merlot Sparkle
    RBH Westwood Drums in Green Sparkle

5. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

No one is truly self taught. You may not have had a teacher, but you are learning from someone.
    Last edited by dale w miller; 05-15-2018 at 08:15 AM.

6. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    No one is truly self taught. You made not have had a teacher, but you are learning from someone.
    In that case, my teachers were Tommy Lee, Neil Peart, Chad Smith, Nick Menza, Tommy Aldridge, et al.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    In that case, my teachers were Tommy Lee, Neil Peart, Chad Smith, Nick Menza, Tommy Aldridge, et al.
    Exactly.

8. Music Lover

In 1966, I got a plastic snare drum from Sears for Christmas and then took basic lessons from a band director from a different school system than the one I was in. This was 1967, and I was ten years old. I then played snare in school band from fifth grade through twelfth grade. My first kit came in 1969, a stencil kit called Drum Mate. I started playing in bands at age sixteen. When I went off to Indiana University, I took drum lessons from the School of Music for my last three semesters. Since then (1979), I have been on my own. So I have had some lessons but am mostly self taught. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex Saturn (snare, bass drum, and toms); Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian AA, AAX, HHX, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army

9. Registered User

No one is truly self taught. You may not have had a teacher, but you are learning from someone.

True in a sense. These pics of kits set up like they fell from a truck, bogles my mind. I knew how to set up a kit way before I owned one. Just from being mesmerized every time I saw one.

I also knew the basic way before I ever owned a kit. From watching tv. " oh, I see what you did there."

How a hi hat worked and it's purpose as well as the ride. The ride was propionate on Hee-Haw. How the bass and snare were incorporated in thier boom, bap , boom!

I was absolutely sure ... " I could do that!"

So I learnt that all by seeing drums.

By watching our favorite Starr drummers, we do/ can pick up technique. See an application of the stick used differently than we may be accustomed to.

So the ability to learn anything is always there, if we pay attention. But it's different than being taught by theses super stars we emulate.

They dot say " Stop, stop, nope, stop , wrong ! Do it again! "

Neil Peart never told me " Marty, you rush all my Rush fills. I'm relaxed and fluid when I play Tom Sawyer and you look like your being attacked by
    Invisible bees. Now get back in the pocket! "

( but he could of )

I see it like...video of drummer -jam session. One on one instruction- lesson.

But you can learn a lot at a jam session.

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

That’s because Neil Peart doesn’t have a pocket.

11. Playing since 1976

That’s because Neil Peart doesn’t have a pocket.
    Hahaha... I got a chuckle out of that one, but not for the reason you intended.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    True in a sense. These pics of kits set up like they fell from a truck, bogles my mind. I knew how to set up a kit way before I owned one. Just from being mesmerized every time I saw one.

I also knew the basic way before I ever owned a kit. From watching tv. " oh, I see what you did there."

How a hi hat worked and it's purpose as well as the ride. The ride was propionate on Hee-Haw. How the bass and snare were incorporated in thier boom, bap , boom!

I was absolutely sure ... " I could do that!"

So I learnt that all by seeing drums.

By watching our favorite Starr drummers, we do/ can pick up technique. See an application of the stick used differently than we may be accustomed to.

So the ability to learn anything is always there, if we pay attention. But it's different than being taught by theses super stars we emulate.

They dot say " Stop, stop, nope, stop , wrong ! Do it again! "

Neil Peart never told me " Marty, you rush all my Rush fills. I'm relaxed and fluid when I play Tom Sawyer and you look like your being attacked by
    Invisible bees. Now get back in the pocket! "

( but he could of )

I see it like...video of drummer -jam session. One on one instruction- lesson.

But you can learn a lot at a jam session.
    HAVE! It's "HAVE"!

Also folks, it's "BUCK naked. Not "butt". And it's "supposed to", not "suppose to".

Christ, do I have to do EVERYTHING around here? lol
    Way Too Much Crap