Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default MM's custom Masterworks "Ballad Snare" 15x13 ES Comet Sparkle PICS!

Hi,

It's finally warmed up here so I'm beginning to work on some Masterworks custom projects that have been waiting all Winter.

Here are a couple of photos of the Masterworks 15x13 "Ballad Snare" that I finished this past weekend and added to my kit. I chose the 15x13 size because my main kit has floor toms in 14x12 and 16x14 sizes. The drum is very responsive and has a deep, fat tone (especially when compared to my my standard size snare drums that are tuned higher).

Size: 15x13

Finish: ES Comet Sparkle

Shell: Thin ply, blended, Mahagony/Maple, medium snare beds

Batter side: Fat Tone, 8 holes, Powerstroke 3 Coated w/Dot

Snare side: Fat Tone snare side (custom), 8-holes, Ambassador Snare Hazy

Strainer: SR-1000 complete, SN1520I wires

Lugs: STL-150

Rods: SST-5047

Name:  MW1513S front.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  MW1513S throw.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  MW1513S butt.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  91.0 KB
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

2. NO KIT TOO BIG

I said it in the other thread, but that's a stroke of genius, and probably, the bigger size will knock the Tama SLP Duo and DW models out of the park.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

3. ...A mind like Water...

I kind of LOVE and HATE your work. You buy the most boutique Pearl drums they have to offer,and then do your own augmentations to them. I know they can't make the items you are special ordering, it's just so weird and so awesome at the same time.

Taking a drill to MW drum makes me cringe on a supernatural level.

Good work!
    Owner of two gorgeous Pearl Masters kits. Metal drummer, music and drums for life!

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Sentiment View Post
    I kind of LOVE and HATE your work. You buy the most boutique Pearl drums they have to offer,and then do your own augmentations to them. I know they can't make the items you are special ordering, it's just so weird and so awesome at the same time.

Taking a drill to MW drum makes me cringe on a supernatural level.

Good work!
    Divine,

Thanks.

It's an expensive hobby, but once I found the finish I could live with for the rest of my life (i.e. ES Comet Sparkle), and Pearl came up with the modular STL- series lugs, I was inspired to do a lot of unique customization.

I've been really happy with how well the Masterworks finishes hold up. I'm no longer afraid to saw, file, sand, or drill anything with them. The worst part is still just the 4-6 month wait! Whenever I get a project in mind, I have to order the custom shell and finish it later.

Some Masterworks guys seem to go for the latest finishes, but I prefer to make unique drums and concept kits that Pearl doesn't offer. It's kind of like going to a restaurant and ordering "off the menu."

MM

5. Experienced Noob

Your drums are always so well thought out &, of course, beautiful. I have a question about your drilling on the shells. I'd be so afraid of cracking the finish when drilling. What is the secret to safely drilling that thick, hard finish?

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    Your drums are always so well thought out &, of course, beautiful. I have a question about your drilling on the shells. I'd be so afraid of cracking the finish when drilling. What is the secret to safely drilling that thick, hard finish?
    Mike,

The finish is very durable. If I drill a hole for a lug screw or other bolt, I just take it slow with the drill and make sure there is something behind the hole to keep the wood from splintering on the inside of the shell (which is actually what worries me the most).

If I drill for a tom mount (BT-3), then I drill the larger hole about halfway through the shell, and then finish it from the inside (since there is a lot more chance of splintering). The center guide of the larger bit makes a tiny hole all the way through the initial hole so that you know exactly where to realign it from the inside.

It's also very important to remove all of the hardware and wrap the entire outside of the shell with cellophane (pallet wrap) before doing any drilling. This keeps the rest of the shell from getting fingerprints, scratches or dust all over it.

When I cut down a shell and do bearing edges, the finish holds up very well and the slightly rough edges of the finish end up being covered by the heads and hoops so it doesn't show on the outside.

MM
    Last edited by MusicMan; 05-10-2018 at 05:57 AM.

7. Pearl Masters Drummer

That's pretty special and would be awesome to hear and play. Great job!! When you get a chance, I would love to see it set up with your kit.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jutt8 View Post
    That's pretty special and would be awesome to hear and play. Great job!! When you get a chance, I would love to see it set up with your kit.
    Thanks, Jutt

I'm surprised that Masterworks doesn't offer these as an option (along with standard snare drums and gong drums). It would be pretty easy for them to simply add snare beds and a strainer system to any floor tom.

9. Registered User

Some nice work there. What do you use to cut your snare beds and edges with?

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    Some nice work there. What do you use to cut your snare beds and edges with?
    TWH,

Thanks.

I use a table router to cut the bearing edges and a large dremmel (sanding) bit for the snare beds.

In this case, or I ordered the floor tom with the bearing edges done, of course.

MM
    Last edited by MusicMan; 05-10-2018 at 07:35 AM.

11. Pearl Masters Drummer

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    Thanks, Jutt

I'm surprised that Masterworks doesn't offer these as an option (along with standard snare drums and gong drums). It would be pretty easy for them to simply add snare beds and a strainer system to any floor tom.
    Who knows they just might add this to their arsenal. Pearl has definitely used some ideas from their customers in the past and they just might use this one too : )

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jutt8 View Post
    Who knows they just might add this to their arsenal. Pearl has definitely used some ideas from their customers in the past and they just might use this one too : )
    Jutt8,

Yes, you're right. I was actually the first one who used the STL-100 "mini" lugs in the inverted position on some Reference Pure drums a while back and now they are featured on a number of Masterworks kits and snare drums.

I also made some custom cajon percussion concept items (using a castanet and an agogo bell) that they used over in Europe (but they didn't sell and were discontinued right away). They were similar to the cajon wood block and the cajon clave that are still available.

MM