Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default G-Series Big Beat kit in Walnut Lacquer

Found this kit in a pawn shop and got it for what I think was a steal. I paid $600 for everything pictured including the Sabian cymbals, Paiste hi hats, stands, everything! From all the info I can find online I'm pretty positive I've nailed it down to being an '80-'81 G-Series Big Beat kit with 8 ply 6mm maple shells in walnut lacquer finish along with a possibly slightly older COB Jupiter snare. I'm absolutely head over heels in love with them! They're gorgeous to look at, and they sound incredible too!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Austin-Fitz; 04-28-2018 at 03:09 AM.

2. Registered User

Close-up of the 913" rack tom and a shot of the Big Beat kit from the 1980 Pearl catalog.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

3. Registered User

Wow. Good condition or what??!!
    Are they 2002 hats?
    Great pick up.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

4. A Passion Play ...

Sweet rig.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

5. Registered User

Thanks! I'm super excited about them! They do have a few nicks and scrapes here and there, but overall they really are in great shape. Also yes the hats are 14" 2002 red label Sound Edge.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Austin-Fitz View Post
    Thanks! I'm super excited about them! They do have a few nicks and scrapes here and there, but overall they really are in great shape. Also yes the hats are 14" 2002 red label Sound Edge.
    Excellent find Austin! Enjoy them!

7. Registered User

I'm definitely enjoying them! I haven't owned a kit in a few years, and was looking for one on a $600 budget to start a new band with my brother. I just couldn't seem to find anything I liked shopping locally for used kits, so I was just about to break down and spend the 600 on a brand new entry level kit when at the last minute I found this Pearl kit listed on Craigslist. It was in a pawn shop only about 50 miles away from me in New Orleans, but it was priced at $699. Amazingly it had been sitting in there for several months, and the owner was happy to take $600 for it! This kit is miles ahead of any brand new entry level kit I could have gotten for that money, so you can imagine my excitement! They're also the exact configuration and sizes I really wanted! It couldn't have worked out any better!

8. Rockin' the Cosmos..

You researched well my friend .. no need for me to tell you what it is .. .. kit looks in pretty good cosmetic shape.

Glad you're enjoying them. .. and yeah that 14x6.5 Jupiter COB is from 70's

9. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by Austin-Fitz View Post
    This kit is miles ahead of any brand new entry level kit I could have gotten for that money
    well they were Pearls top of line shells at the time (thin 6mm Rock Maple) .. in those sizes you would never find a new entry level kit for that price tag .. Only thing I can suggest is getting some Pearl air suspension feet for floor toms ( they really make floors sound better) and maybe if you want some Optimounts or RIMS for toms (they'll open them toms up a lot)

10. Pearl does it for me

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    well they were Pearls top of line shells at the time (thin 6mm Rock Maple) .. in those sizes you would never find a new entry level kit for that price tag .. Only thing I can suggest is getting some Pearl air suspension feet for floor toms ( they really make floors sound better) and maybe if you want some Optimounts or RIMS for toms (they'll open them toms up a lot)
    +1
    If you take the lug casings off for a full clean, and find nothing in the springs, you might want to drop a piece of felt behind the spring to stop spring noise too.

Welcome to the PDF, and in particular, the vintage section
    Nice to see you've shared the kit here as well as on the facebook page.

Have to say, your enthusiasm about getting this kit is very refreshing...

11. Registered User

Thanks for the warm welcome and the tips guys! I do plan to completely disassemble everything and really give them a good cleaning in the near future, but for now since we're practicing almost daily I'm just cleaning the best I can while leaving them assembled. I did go ahead and replace the tone control mufflers on all 4 toms though. They were missing when I bought the kit. I know a lot of people prefer to remove them, but the extra holes in the shells bothered me, so I found some correct replacements for them.

I guess part of my enthusiasm about them comes from the fact that not only do I love drums, but I also just love vintage stuff in general! I'm only 27, but most of the stuff I own is older than I am. One of my other hobbies besides drums is restoring vintage bicycles, so the kit is in good hands, and should come up beautifully once I have the time to really dig into them! I'm pretty sure I'll own these for a LONG time. They're just perfect for me! I can't believe I almost settled for one of those tiny little 4 or 5 piece entry level kits lol!

12. Registered User

Does anyone know what the retail price would have been on this kit back when it was new? Not that it really matters. I'm just curious is all. I like to learn as much as I can about all of my vintage prized possessions. I seem to have a thing for 1980s Japanese stuff. All of my favorite bikes I've restored are from the '80s and made in Japan as well. My absolute favorite being a 1984 model.