Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Pearl does it for me

Quote Originally Posted by Austin-Fitz View Post
    Yeah I definitely want to find one now lol. I think a 14x6.5 with a parallel strainer would be perfect, but I'm sure that won't be cheap, so it'll probably be a while before I'm ready to buy.
    It's got to the stage where you may want to rethink that in terms of consumables like snare wires.
    Pearl haven't made wires for the parallel actions for ages, and it's becoming very difficult to make them up out of something else, or costs a fortune to get them custom made...

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 3pearlkits View Post
    It's got to the stage where you may want to rethink that in terms of consumables like snare wires.
    Pearl haven't made wires for the parallel actions for ages, and it's becoming very difficult to make them up out of something else, or costs a fortune to get them custom made...
    Yeah I've read a few posts about the trouble that comes with trying to replace them. It's really unfortunate because I absolutely love the parallel strainer on my Jupiter! First time I've ever used one. My band mates love it as well. On my last snare the throw off never would drop the snare wires quite enough to completely eliminate snare buzz. If I really layed into it, or the bass player hit that certain frequency I would still get some random rattling. I really like how the parallel strainer moves the snare wires WAY away from the head.

In my bicycle restorations over the years there have been several times that I've had to make parts that were next to impossible to find... I'm pretty good with my hands, so I might look into making a suitable cost efficient replacement snare for the parallel strainer myself!

3. Registered User

I really need to work on my rack tom mounts asap. The 13x9 sounds great as is, but the 14x10 sounds a bit dead unless I grab it and take the weight off the mount. Then it opens up just like the 13x9... I guess I'll be looking into some isolation mounts after all. I may try a few other solutions first though as I'm not a big fan of how most isolation mounts look.

Here's the most recent pic of them I have from Thursday's practice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. Registered User

Well I messed around with the position of the tom, and experimented with some zip ties in an effort to take a little weight off the mount. After a while I did finally manage to find a sweet spot and the drum opened up to match the rest of them! I'm back to being totally blown away by their sound! It's not just me either. Both of my band mates (one is also a drummer) are constantly raving about how great they sound!

My guitar player's first instrument is the drums and he has a really sweet 1974 Rogers kit, and a 1968 Ludwig kit, and according to him my Pearls sound better than both hands down!

5. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Well I messed around with the position of the tom, and experimented with some zip ties in an effort to take a little weight off the mount.
    gotta pic of that? .. glad you're enjoying your kit
    80's Pearl 'G' Maple in Emerald Forest Lacquer -10x8, 12x8, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16, 22x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl 'G' Maple in CherryRoseWine Lacquer -12x8, 13x9, 15x12, 16x14, 18x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl 'G' Maple in factory Walnut Lacquer - 14x10, 18x16, 22x14, 26x14
    New kit under construction .......

6. Registered User

I do actually... Try not to laugh too hard. It was just a random idea, and I can't say it didn't help at all!

7. Rockin' the Cosmos..

I do actually... Try not to laugh too hard. It was just a random idea, and I can't say it didn't help at all!
    Not laughing actually ... not what I envisioned in my head that's for sure ( I envisioned a cluster [email protected]# of twist ties Jerry Rigged all together on hoops, lugs, etc) haha .. you say you'd rather not use suspension mounts, so this looks like it was a simple fix that resolved issue with tom while not looking too out of place .. at least it looks clean and not a mess of ties everywhere ..

In my experience (even though I don't use through the shell mounts these days, I use RIMS) is to put tom arm into tom mount just enough to hold it securely .. it really opened up toms when I mounted like that .. tom arm going all the way through mount into interior of shell made toms a tad choked and dead in my experience
    80's Pearl 'G' Maple in Emerald Forest Lacquer -10x8, 12x8, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16, 22x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl 'G' Maple in CherryRoseWine Lacquer -12x8, 13x9, 15x12, 16x14, 18x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl 'G' Maple in factory Walnut Lacquer - 14x10, 18x16, 22x14, 26x14
    New kit under construction .......

8. Registered User

Haha yeah it's not quite as ridiculous as you would think hearing someone say they suspended their tom with zip ties! I'm gonna continue to play around with the mounting, and I may cut off the excess tube that extends into the shells, but ultimately I'll probably just spring for some used RIMS mounts in the future. I plan on keeping this kit for a long time, so I think it's worth it. I also want to get some of those suspension feet that you mentioned for my floor tom legs.

Overall though I really am enjoying this kit! I'm more excited about playing drums now than I've ever been in the past, and I think having a kit that I feel really suits me is a big part of that.

I also broke out my 13x3 maple piccolo yesterday and added it to the kit as an auxiliary snare. That thing sounds really nice too! The past few weeks have really turned me into a huge Pearl fan! Here's a pic of it from when I first bought it. I've since changed out the head. I think the finish is called liquid amber?
    Last edited by Austin-Fitz; 05-13-2018 at 01:00 PM.

9. Registered User

Well I couldn't take the separation anxiety of having my beloved G-series kit set up in a practice space that was a 30 minute drive away from me, so I decided to move the whole band's practice space to my house! I feel much better knowing I can go sit down and bang stuff out anytime I want now. 😁 They really just sound so buttery that I can't get enough of playing them. It's honestly hard to get up and walk away from them!