Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: favorite wood

1. Experienced Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I don't want to discriminate, but these are my favorite woods for drum shells.

1) Mahogany for its gorgeous appearance and deep tone
    2) Bubinga for its rich, deep, powerful tone
    3) Maple for its sheer powerful sound in snare drums

I also love my snare drums made of birch and oak. Surprisingly, my new favorite snare drum is my Tama SLP Fat Spruce. It is the best-sounding snare drum I ever owned. Maybe I got lucky with tuning and set up, but it looks and sound phenomenal!
    It's not my favorite to hear in person, but my SLP Fat Spruce snare may be my favorite to hear recorded. Its name is no lie.

Once you start recording again I predict you'll love that snare even more.

2. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
    Bubinga for its deep rich tones and padauk for its musicality and bite. I often have trouble distinguishing various species of woods, however these two usually have a unique tone to my ears.
    I dig bubinga too, love it blended with birch too...... I wonder how it would pair with maple???
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Bombay Sparkle
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Natural
    Yamaha Live Oak Amber Shadow Sunburst
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Natural
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black

3. Rockin' the Cosmos..

I like hardwoods .. which is pretty vague .. haha

4. bangin since '95

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    I dig bubinga too, love it blended with birch too...... I wonder how it would pair with maple???
    Maybe you should try out a Sakae Celestial since you're a big Yamaha guy. From what I've heard of those, it's like taking the crispness and clarity of a Sonor ProLite and pairing it with the powerful lows from the Tama Bubinga. I'd kill to have one of those. It's mostly maple, with inner plies of Bubinga. Sort of like Simon Phillips's Monarch kit.
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads

5. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    It's not my favorite to hear in person, but my SLP Fat Spruce snare may be my favorite to hear recorded. Its name is no lie.

Once you start recording again I predict you'll love that snare even more.
    I bet I will... it sounds incredible. If I'm going to go deaf, I want to lose my hearing while enjoying the sound of that drum
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by LeftySlammer92 View Post
    Maybe you should try out a Sakae Celestial since you're a big Yamaha guy. From what I've heard of those, it's like taking the crispness and clarity of a Sonor ProLite and pairing it with the powerful lows from the Tama Bubinga. I'd kill to have one of those. It's mostly maple, with inner plies of Bubinga. Sort of like Simon Phillips's Monarch kit.
    Isn't Celestial like Yamaha's Phoenix line??? Crazy expensive?????
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Bombay Sparkle
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Natural
    Yamaha Live Oak Amber Shadow Sunburst
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Natural
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black

7. Registered User

I bet I will... it sounds incredible. If I'm going to go deaf, I want to lose my hearing while enjoying the sound of that drum
    Not "if"
    Pretty sure all of us will suffer.

Unless you are as careful with your ears as your drums?

I am now but when younger... 'fraid not.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

8. Experienced Noob

This mix is not done & this version doesn't have any vocals (getting the right vocals for this has been daunting, to say the least) but below is a link to a song my guitarist & I recorded a while back in which I used my SLP Fat Spruce snare. You can feel free to disagree, but I think that snare sound is awesome. Keep in mind, I do not use samples. It's just that snare (and processing).

https://app.box.com/s/qbc9i4om0dl6plk6g8joikmzsstws7er

9. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    Not "if"
    Pretty sure all of us will suffer.

Unless you are as careful with your ears as your drums?

I am now but when younger... 'fraid not.
    Unfortunately, I'm not as careful with my ears. I sit down to the kit and think, I'm just going to tap lightly for a couple minutes, and end up playing at full volume for much longer. It draws me in hahaha. I need to put my plugs or IEMs in before I start playing.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

10. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    This mix is not done & this version doesn't have any vocals (getting the right vocals for this has been daunting, to say the least) but below is a link to a song my guitarist & I recorded a while back in which I used my SLP Fat Spruce snare. You can feel free to disagree, but I think that snare sound is awesome. Keep in mind, I do not use samples. It's just that snare (and processing).

https://app.box.com/s/qbc9i4om0dl6plk6g8joikmzsstws7er
    Mike... that sound sample is PHAT! The guitars sound great, and that Fat Spruce is unbelievable. I have mine tuned a little higher, and it is still sound big and full. I can't wait to hear how it sounds recorded. You're riding on the very tail end of the beat... I like that original composition!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

11. Music Lover

I really like the maple/walnut shells of my Saturn kit. I also have a Mapex Venus ten-inch tom that sounds great with a basswood shell. I also like my Export bass drum with a poplar shell. Then there is my Mapex MPX birch snare. I like drums that are well made. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex Saturn (snare, bass drums, and toms); Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian AA, AAX, and XS20 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

12. Experienced Noob

Mike... that sound sample is PHAT! The guitars sound great, and that Fat Spruce is unbelievable. I have mine tuned a little higher, and it is still sound big and full. I can't wait to hear how it sounds recorded. You're riding on the very tail end of the beat... I like that original composition!
    Thanks Matt. For that one I really wanted a simple drum part but still have a push-pull thing going between the guitars & drums. I like what I ended up with but I keep considering re-doing the drums anyway. So far I have had 4 singers take a shot at singing to it. 1 guy came up with something that melodically works but thematically, just doesn't fit. The 3 other guys just gave up, I guess. Either that or they disappeared off the face of the planet.

I'm thinking a more backbeat driven drum part might be easier to sing to but a big part of my apprehension in re-recording is that I don't think I'll ever get that snare sound again. I played with the tuning after that recording, then tried to go back to what I had & I've never found it again. I really love that particular sound.