Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 28
  1. Registered Hard Bop Drummer

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Thanks for the info; good to know! Sounds pretty straightforward.
    We don't need no reputation...

  2. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    CLT
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    Very nice kit!

    My Decade Maple kit is living in the corner since I bought my Reference's. I had the tension rod issue and Pearl even replaced the entire kit, but it persisted. Was rather disappointing, because I really liked the drums. The Ref's are helping me feel better though.

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    Very nice kit!

    My Decade Maple kit is living in the corner since I bought my Reference's. I had the tension rod issue and Pearl even replaced the entire kit, but it persisted. Was rather disappointing, because I really liked the drums. The Ref's are helping me feel better though.
    I'm sad to hear that you retired them to a corner because of the tension rods (Okay, the References probably had a little bit to do with it, too ). Personally, I'd still use LocTite and Lug Locks regardless of what kit I was using, even if I had a Masterworks. Like I said, I've never played on a kit (beginner, top of the line or otherwise) that didn't have at least one that backed out after a while. Small issues like that are nil in my opinion and can be easily fixed and overcome. If you get a drum with a bad bearing edge or a warped shell or something major like that, then that's a different story. So far I've neither seen nor heard any problems with my set.

    Now I'm just wondering if I can possibly stain or paint the inside of the bass drum hoops to make them look a little more unified and "finished"...
    Don't pick a fight with a drummer... we beat things for a living.

  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    CLT
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    I'm sad to hear that you retired them to a corner because of the tension rods (Okay, the References probably had a little bit to do with it, too ). Personally, I'd still use LocTite and Lug Locks regardless of what kit I was using, even if I had a Masterworks. Like I said, I've never played on a kit (beginner, top of the line or otherwise) that didn't have at least one that backed out after a while. Small issues like that are nil in my opinion and can be easily fixed and overcome. If you get a drum with a bad bearing edge or a warped shell or something major like that, then that's a different story. So far I've neither seen nor heard any problems with my set.

    Now I'm just wondering if I can possibly stain or paint the inside of the bass drum hoops to make them look a little more unified and "finished"...
    They were the first kit I'd ever had with a tension rod issue. Getting a steal of a deal on the Reference kit certainly helped moved the process along. I still enjoy the drums, and love the finish(white satin pearl). I don't have any immediate plans of selling them, and should I ever get back into playing music out, I'll probably use them as a gig kit with some lug locks.

    Forum member drumminjc just stained the hoops on his DW kit. He could probably point you in the right direction on how to take on that project. He's got a thread about it in the "Show your kits" section.

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    4,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    They were the first kit I'd ever had with a tension rod issue. Getting a steal of a deal on the Reference kit certainly helped moved the process along. I still enjoy the drums, and love the finish(white satin pearl). I don't have any immediate plans of selling them, and should I ever get back into playing music out, I'll probably use them as a gig kit with some lug locks. Forum member drumminjc just stained the hoops on his DW kit. He could probably point you in the right direction on how to take on that project. He's got a thread about it in the "Show your kits" section.
    I've heard of the issue before. If it's a genuine problem that can be proven then essentially, if you want, you can get a refund from the retailer at which your drums were purchased. At least that is what the law would provide for in Australia. If the product doesn't do what it's designed to, then the consumer is protected.
    I raise this because you mention selling them (which you aren't going to do) and lug locks (which in my opinion you shouldn't have to do).
    Just my $0.02 for what it's worth.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

  6. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    CLT
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    I've heard of the issue before. If it's a genuine problem that can be proven then essentially, if you want, you can get a refund from the retailer at which your drums were purchased. At least that is what the law would provide for in Australia. If the product doesn't do what it's designed to, then the consumer is protected.
    I raise this because you mention selling them (which you aren't going to do) and lug locks (which in my opinion you shouldn't have to do).
    Just my $0.02 for what it's worth.
    I agree with the "shouldn't have to" regarding lug locks, and was one of my main points when talking with Pearl regarding the replacement. The did replace the kit no problem the first time, but stated that they couldn't recreate the problem and expressed that they wouldn't be reexamining the issue. Al was fantastic through the entire process, but at the end of the day I still wasn't super happy with the resolution. I probably would've pursued it more with the retailer had I not found the Reference kit. I've put them up for sale, but haven't had much interest. At the end of the day, they aren't really hurting anything being in the corner.

  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    Forum member drumminjc just stained the hoops on his DW kit. He could probably point you in the right direction on how to take on that project. He's got a thread about it in the "Show your kits" section.
    I know, that's what finalized the idea I had had the thought before, but really started thinking about it when I saw what he did. Granted, his hoops were more black and easier to match... mine might be a little more difficult. Thankfully my dad's a professional woodworker so he might have some ideas.
    Don't pick a fight with a drummer... we beat things for a living.

  8. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Havelock, North Carolina
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    After getting my new Decade kit a few weeks ago, I was finally able to properly take it out over the weekend, and this is what I have to say about it;

    Now, a lot of people say "oh yeah, it's a good kit... for the money", but personally I have to say that no, it's just a good kit period. I put Remo Emperors on the toms and holy hell, they sounded amazing. The 10" and 12" rack toms rang out clearly but still had enough control that they didn't need any extra dampening of any kind, and the 14" floor tom sounded like an angry predator... it just growled like a beast. I also put a Powerstroke 3 on the 20" kick tuned just a hair above JAW tuning and tuned up the front head fairly high and it promptly blew a wall down.
    During setup last night, I only worked with the sound guy for about three minutes maximum getting everything dialed in. He told me that all he had to do was adjust the actual volume level for each mic because he ended up turning everything else off (gain, reverb, etc...). He also said that it was one of the best sounding kits he's ever worked with (especially the floor tom)... I didn't even replace the factory resonant heads yet. The Satin Brown Burst also just looked incredible in person. Pictures just do not do it justice at all. People were practically swarming around it at both shows trying to get a better look.

    I was fully aware when I bought the kit that a lot of people are disappointed with tension rods backing out, but I always use lug locks so I never run into that issue (I've never owned a kit that didn't have at least one rod that never wanted to stay). I also went ahead and used some medium strength Loc Tite on the kick drum rods just to be safe, so I have no stories about rods not staying where they're supposed to.

    Literally the only thing that I didn't like was how short the front posts are on the mounting arms, but since I never planned on using them, it's a complete nonissue for me.

    So yeah, I would absolutely recommend the Decade to anyone looking for a new set. I'll take the Pepsi challenge against a more expensive kit any day of the week (okay, maybe not a Masterworks, but like a Masters or a Session )

    Attachment 508952

    Attachment 508953

    Attachment 508954

    Attachment 508955
    Wasn't sure where to post this but I figured I would tag on with The_Prowler, since he recently purchased a beautiful set of Decades. Anyway's, this Decade Maple was good enough for this guy to play at a clinic I witnessed on Sunday and let me tell you, it sounded awesome! Then again, this guy could make card board boxes, pot's and pan's sound awesome! What an awesome clinic at an excellent drum shop in Raleigh, NC called 2112 Percussion! How could you not like a store named that? By the way, the Gong Drum Todd used wasn't a Decade. I know it was Pearl but not sure what model.Name:  31646729_809460432572510_5994739908375281222_n.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  86.7 KB

  9. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Havelock, North Carolina
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Name:  31672783_1631667263612826_2492042842361298944_n.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  76.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  10. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Havelock, North Carolina
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Name:  31693269_809460382572515_4294441627596933880_n.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  48.5 KB

  11. Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Thanks for sharing these. I was at this clinic and had a great time. The insight and inspiration gained from this is hard to beat for $10. A guy to my left won a snare drum and I took home a free shirt. Do you know if anyone purchased the set after the clinic was over?

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,711

    Default

    I have really been getting into Sucherman's videos lately.

    I just love the way he hits the drums. Authoritative and powerful but still musical.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •