Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default My Decade Maple Review

After getting my new Decade kit a few weeks ago, I was finally able to properly take it out over the weekend, and this is what I have to say about it;

Now, a lot of people say "oh yeah, it's a good kit... for the money", but personally I have to say that no, it's just a good kit period. I put Remo Emperors on the toms and holy hell, they sounded amazing. The 10" and 12" rack toms rang out clearly but still had enough control that they didn't need any extra dampening of any kind, and the 14" floor tom sounded like an angry predator... it just growled like a beast. I also put a Powerstroke 3 on the 20" kick tuned just a hair above JAW tuning and tuned up the front head fairly high and it promptly blew a wall down.
    During setup last night, I only worked with the sound guy for about three minutes maximum getting everything dialed in. He told me that all he had to do was adjust the actual volume level for each mic because he ended up turning everything else off (gain, reverb, etc...). He also said that it was one of the best sounding kits he's ever worked with (especially the floor tom)... I didn't even replace the factory resonant heads yet. The Satin Brown Burst also just looked incredible in person. Pictures just do not do it justice at all. People were practically swarming around it at both shows trying to get a better look.

I was fully aware when I bought the kit that a lot of people are disappointed with tension rods backing out, but I always use lug locks so I never run into that issue (I've never owned a kit that didn't have at least one rod that never wanted to stay). I also went ahead and used some medium strength Loc Tite on the kick drum rods just to be safe, so I have no stories about rods not staying where they're supposed to.

Literally the only thing that I didn't like was how short the front posts are on the mounting arms, but since I never planned on using them, it's a complete nonissue for me.

So yeah, I would absolutely recommend the Decade to anyone looking for a new set. I'll take the Pepsi challenge against a more expensive kit any day of the week (okay, maybe not a Masterworks, but like a Masters or a Session )

Name:  IMG_20180331_182943_353.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20180331_182905_220.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  44.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20180331_183046_324.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20180331_182920_128.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  52.6 KB
    Don't pick a fight with a drummer... we beat things for a living.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    After getting my new Decade kit a few weeks ago, I was finally able to properly take it out over the weekend, and this is what I have to say about it;

Now, a lot of people say "oh yeah, it's a good kit... for the money", but personally I have to say that no, it's just a good kit period. I put Remo Emperors on the toms and holy hell, they sounded amazing. The 10" and 12" rack toms rang out clearly but still had enough control that they didn't need any extra dampening of any kind, and the 14" floor tom sounded like an angry predator... it just growled like a beast. I also put a Powerstroke 3 on the 20" kick tuned just a hair above JAW tuning and tuned up the front head fairly high and it promptly blew a wall down.
    During setup last night, I only worked with the sound guy for about three minutes maximum getting everything dialed in. He told me that all he had to do was adjust the actual volume level for each mic because he ended up turning everything else off (gain, reverb, etc...). He also said that it was one of the best sounding kits he's ever worked with (especially the floor tom)... I didn't even replace the factory resonant heads yet. The Satin Brown Burst also just looked incredible in person. Pictures just do not do it justice at all. People were practically swarming around it at both shows trying to get a better look.

I was fully aware when I bought the kit that a lot of people are disappointed with tension rods backing out, but I always use lug locks so I never run into that issue (I've never owned a kit that didn't have at least one rod that never wanted to stay). I also went ahead and used some medium strength Loc Tite on the kick drum rods just to be safe, so I have no stories about rods not staying where they're supposed to.

Literally the only thing that I didn't like was how short the front posts are on the mounting arms, but since I never planned on using them, it's a complete nonissue for me.

So yeah, I would absolutely recommend the Decade to anyone looking for a new set. I'll take the Pepsi challenge against a more expensive kit any day of the week (okay, maybe not a Masterworks, but like a Masters or a Session )

Name:  IMG_20180331_182943_353.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20180331_182905_220.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  44.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20180331_183046_324.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20180331_182920_128.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  52.6 KB
    When you said the only thing you didn't like was that the posts were too short on the mounting arms, did you mean the actual post that goes into the bass drum mount or the post that the tom is connected too?

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    When you said the only thing you didn't like was that the posts were too short on the mounting arms, did you mean the actual post that goes into the bass drum mount or the post that the tom is connected too?
    The post that the drum actually mounts on. But as you can see in the pictures, I wouldn't have been able to mount the toms on the kick anyway because of where I wanted them positioned, so like I said, it wasn't a big deal. I've never liked rack toms mounted square on the kick drum... they're awkward for me to properly reach based on how I sit in relation to the kick and simple ergonomics.

Name:  TH900I-large.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  22.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by korch View Post
    What a great kit.
    Thanks! I absolutely love it and wish I'd gotten it sooner.

4. A Passion Play ...

Beautiful kit. Very glad you are happy with them. Pearl makes
    fantastic sounding drums. I will never part with my MCX.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

5. Registered User

The post that the drum actually mounts on. But as you can see in the pictures, I wouldn't have been able to mount the toms on the kick anyway because of where I wanted them positioned, so like I said, it wasn't a big deal. I've never liked rack toms mounted square on the kick drum... they're awkward for me to properly reach based on how I sit in relation to the kick and simple ergonomics.

Name:  TH900I-large.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  22.0 KB

Thanks! I absolutely love it and wish I'd gotten it sooner.
    Yes, I now see that. I looked at some videos for the Pearl Decade Maple kit on YouTube and none of the drummers seem to have a problem with the mounts on the bass drum. I also know a lot of drummers like their toms really hanging back over the edge of the bass drum hoop facing the drummer, which might be a problem with the shorter mounting posts. It wouldn't be a problem for me because I don't have my toms set back that far. I would really like to get a Decade Maple in the Deep Red Burst. Beautiful kit you have!

6. Registered User

Yes, I now see that. I looked at some videos for the Pearl Decade Maple kit on YouTube and none of the drummers seem to have a problem with the mounts on the bass drum. I also know a lot of drummers like their toms really hanging back over the edge of the bass drum hoop facing the drummer, which might be a problem with the shorter mounting posts. It wouldn't be a problem for me because I don't have my toms set back that far. I would really like to get a Decade Maple in the Deep Red Burst. Beautiful kit you have!
    The main issue I have with it is that I don't sit square-on to the kick and twist my foot, I angle myself away. At that angle, I physically can't comfortably play most kits with the toms mounted on the kick, so I either have to use one rack tom moved way over or specially mount the second tom centered over the kick and moved forward so my body will move naturally while reaching any of the drums.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  17.3 KB

Forgive the crude diagram, but I hope it properly shows what I'm talking about.

And I'd definitely say go for it on the Red Burst kit. Like I said, they sound great. I'm thinking of cranking the rack toms a little more but leaving the floor tom low like Peter Erskine just to see what happens...

7. Registered User

The main issue I have with it is that I don't sit square-on to the kick and twist my foot, I angle myself away. At that angle, I physically can't comfortably play most kits with the toms mounted on the kick, so I either have to use one rack tom moved way over or specially mount the second tom centered over the kick and moved forward so my body will move naturally while reaching any of the drums.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  17.3 KB

Forgive the crude diagram, but I hope it properly shows what I'm talking about.

And I'd definitely say go for it on the Red Burst kit. Like I said, they sound great. I'm thinking of cranking the rack toms a little more but leaving the floor tom low like Peter Erskine just to see what happens...
    I'll tell the wife that you told me I HAVE to get the Decade Maple kit!

8. Registered User

I'll tell the wife that you told me I HAVE to get the Decade Maple kit!
    If she raises a stink about it, just blame it on me

9. Registered User

Yeah I love my Decade, no live gigs for a while but it really does sound fantastic. I need to get off my *** and look into experimenting with some different heads.
    Check out my sig!
    It will soon have all the details about my drums, hardware, cymbals, band name, purchases, future purchases, possible future purchases I could very well be easily talked into, a *URL*, my dreams, my aspirations, what food I like and my favourite colour. Watch this space!

10. Registered Hard Bop Drummer

The_Prowler, what kind of lug locks do you like to use?
    We don't need no reputation...

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tkrantilles View Post
    The_Prowler, what kind of lug locks do you like to use?
    I just use the plain Gibraltar plastic ones. I can't find anything fancy or different anywhere, but they serve me more than adequately. I've been using them for years and I've been happy with them at every show.