Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. HERTA so good!

Default New church kit.....FINALLY!

I have been playing drums for my church for a little over 16 years now. I have played 2 kits in total both of which belonged to the church. The first was a donated Tama swingstar that was rusted out and falling apart. Most of the stands were taped together. A few years after putting the Tama's through their paces, I was able to work snag a deal on a used PDP Platinum kit in silver to regal blue burst which was HUGE upgrade in sound. It was in overall good condition however, their was some spiderweb cracking in the finish on the bass drum and the owner did a horrible job repairing the batter side bass drum hoop(pictured below). I picked up a few PDP 700 series cymbal stands and tried to upgrade hardware as finances would allow since I seemed to have been spending quite a bit on acquiring my Artisan collection and various personal drum sets *facepalm*. Everthing was smushed nice and tightly together on a platform that was too small thanks to having to use a plexiglass drum shield . All of that being said, the PDPs have served me well and it is now time to move on.

With some help from a good friend of mine, we built a completely new drum riser and I was fortunate enough to work with the church and purchased a brand new DW Design series drum set with all DW 3000 series hardware. I am completely blown away by how good these drums sound. I've been skeptical of the Design series kits having owned a Collector's series previously and now owning a Performance series kit. These drums are right up there with them in build quality and sound. Not one single drum(out of 7) had a flaw or blemish and the paintjob is absolutely stunning! I'm really liking the mini turret lugs as well. I'm confident that these will serve my church well for many years to come. Enjoy!

NOTE: PIcs will start with old PDP kit, new platform, then the good stuff
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    DW Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Evans Drumheads

2. HERTA so good!

New drum riser

3. HERTA so good!

DW Design Series
    Silver Sparkle Lacquer with Piano Black Bass Drum hoops

7x8
    8x10
    9x12
    12x14
    14x16
    18x22
    6.5x14 matching snare drum

Sabian Cymbals

XS20

14" hi hats
    16" medium-thin crash
    18" medium-thin crash
    18" medium-thin crash
    20" medium ride

XSR

18" fast crash

DW 3000 series hardware

4. HERTA so good!

Last two...

5. Registered User

Kinda sorta near Pittsburgh (right at the tristate area)

I kinda like the black hoops on the kick. Now you should use electrical tape on the head collars to make them black as well. It really looks good on a white kit (thanks for the idea sticks)

That's a phenomenal looking kit for your church as well. and nice job on the riser! Did you build a snake into it for the mics and power? that would be pretty sweet lol.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller89 View Post
    I kinda like the black hoops on the kick. Now you should use electrical tape on the head collars to make them black as well. It really looks good on a white kit (thanks for the idea sticks)

That's a phenomenal looking kit for your church as well. and nice job on the riser! Did you build a snake into it for the mics and power? that would be pretty sweet lol.
    The black hoops are actually the only thing I don't like about the kit. I do really like the smaller lugs though. Good job on getting your church a cool kit to play.

7. Registered User

If it had black nickle hardware with those black hoops.... mmmmm that would look so good!

I HATE DW turret lugs, the mini's are far more tolerable

8. Registered User

Oh man I know you are stoked! I also play in our Praise&Worship band at church. Great work on the riser. And that is my kinda config. Hope they serve you well while you are doing some serving!
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Vermillion Sparkle
    8X8 10X9 12X9 16X16 22X18
    PAISTE Signatures / Aquarian heads / ProMark sticks

9. HERTA so good!

That's not a bad idea. I may look at doing that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    The black hoops are actually the only thing I don't like about the kit. I do really like the smaller lugs though. Good job on getting your church a cool kit to play.
    To each their own I suppose. I feel like they are a nice contrast to the finish especially with the black resonant head. I would've liked to have seen a silver sparkle inlay or something to tie it all together.

10. HERTA so good!

If it had black nickle hardware with those black hoops.... mmmmm that would look so good!

I HATE DW turret lugs, the mini's are far more tolerable
    I don't disagree. Would be a good idea for a custom order

Quote Originally Posted by killerkick View Post
    Oh man I know you are stoked! I also play in our Praise&Worship band at church. Great work on the riser. And that is my kinda config. Hope they serve you well while you are doing some serving!
    Most definitely! This is my first time using 3 up on a kit so Sunday should be interesting lol. Thanks so much!

11. Registered User

Oh, so that's a silver kit, not white. It looks white on my screen. LOL

Your silver inlay comment made me go back and re read your post.

12. HERTA so good!

Oh, so that's a silver kit, not white. It looks white on my screen. LOL

Your silver inlay comment made me go back and re read your post.
    Yeah, the iPhone camera does not do a good job of accurately capturing the finish on these drums LOL. They honestly look a little more like the broken glass finish ply despite being a lacquered paint job. I did a short video clip around the drums and am getting ready to upload it to YouTube. I'll post the link here momentarily.