Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Jutt8 View Post
    Gretsch has been using gum wood in their USA custom top tier line for years. I think DW starting using gum a lot too.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftySlammer92 View Post
    I've never had an issue with gum wood. I think mixed with a maple or a mahogany shell it sounds fabulous. For an industry professional, that should be the most important quality at the end of the day. I mean DW is putting poplar in shells now (and have been for years I guess, with the Classics line) and still charges a premium for those drums, but if they're well built with great care and attention to detail, it really doesn't matter. I think we need to stop putting so much value in wood species' that are used in drum building. When you're paying that premium price, it's build quality and hardware that matter, and heads and tuning that get them to sound great. And ultimately most engineers or producers are going to EQ the crap out of your drums anyway (if they don't just Drumagog them and replace them with samples), so just get something that's reliable.
    I think you're both missing the point I was trying to make. Justin, you play Pearl Masters Birch drums (I believe). Lefty, I just saw your new thread. Your nice DW Performance, and Tama Starclassic kits were maple and bubinga, respectively. Neither of you play drums made of gum wood. If either of you order a top-of-the-line Pearl, Tama, DW, or other brand kit, the kind that a bass drum lists for almost $4000 or more, let us know if it has gum wood in it. That's what Todd's bass drums list for, each. That was my only point.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

2. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I think you're both missing the point I was trying to make. Justin, you play Pearl Masters Birch drums (I believe). Lefty, I just saw your new thread. Your nice DW Performance, and Tama Starclassic kits were maple and bubinga, respectively. Neither of you play drums made of gum wood. If either of you order a top-of-the-line Pearl, Tama, DW, or other brand kit, the kind that a bass drum lists for almost $4000 or more, let us know if it has gum wood in it. That's what Todd's bass drums list for, each. That was my only point.
    Aren’t you paying for a good sound? If gum wood creates a good sound like those woods you listed, what’s it matter?

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Aren’t you paying for a good sound? If gum wood creates a good sound like those woods you listed, what’s it matter?
    Exactly.

4. Registered User

DW has been doing it for years as core medium in their Jazz Series drums as well as an exotic veneer in years past. Not sure the species but I'm also not an arborist. I've owned both DW Jazz Series and Pearl Masterworks Studio Series recipe and predictably, they both sounded great. I really like the way the gumwood looks on the inside of the Masterworks shells too.

5. Playing since 1976

It doesn't matter. When you buy a Masterworks Artisan drum, you're obviously buying more than sound. The extra cost is specifically for the aesthetics of the drum, hence the up-charge for specific wood on the outer ply of the drum.

Quote Originally Posted by sundevil View Post
    DW has been doing it for years as core medium in their Jazz Series drums as well as an exotic veneer in years past. Not sure the species but I'm also not an arborist. I've owned both DW Jazz Series and Pearl Masterworks Studio Series recipe and predictably, they both sounded great. I really like the way the gumwood looks on the inside of the Masterworks shells too.
    You owned a Masterworks Studio Recipe kit, and it's already gone? That's a relatively new concept. Why did you get rid of it, and why don't we see any pics of this kit on the forum? Geez, even I keep my kits longer than that
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. Chomp, Chomp

The prices of drums is most definitely influenced by the wood or woods from which it is made. When Pearl made the MCX series in both maple and birch, the maple was priced $500 higher than the same kit in birch. Both kits had the same build quality and hardware. It’s interesting how drum companies have no problem charging extra for exotic plies that are extremely thin, but don’t reduce the price when gumwood is used. I’m not arguing about the tonal quality of gumwood. Just because a wood is very available doesn’t mean it can’t sound great. It’s just interesting how drum companies will charge more when expensive woods are used, but don’t charge less when less expensive woods are used.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

7. Registered User

You owned a Masterworks Studio Recipe kit, and it's already gone? That's a relatively new concept. Why did you get rid of it, and why don't we see any pics of this kit on the forum? Geez, even I keep my kits longer than that [/QUOTE]

What's new about the concept of buying and selling gear? I've got the means and the motivation to do so when the opportunity arises. There are many hobbies out there that are much more expensive, believe me.
    The only reason I don't own the Masterworks Studio recipe kit anymore is because I've ordered another Masterworks in a finish and configuration that appeals to me specifically on a greater level.
    Last edited by sundevil; 03-30-2018 at 12:27 PM.

8. Registered User

and yes, the new order incorporates gumwood

9. Chomp, Chomp

You owned a Masterworks Studio Recipe kit, and it's already gone? That's a relatively new concept. Why did you get rid of it, and why don't we see any pics of this kit on the forum? Geez, even I keep my kits longer than that
    What's new about the concept of buying and selling gear? I've got the means and the motivation to do so when the opportunity arises. There are many hobbies out there that are much more expensive, believe me.
    The only reason I don't own the Masterworks Studio recipe kit anymore is because I've ordered another Masterworks in a finish and configuration that appeals to me specifically on a greater level.[/QUOTE]

Would you mind telling us the configuration of your studio recipe kit and the kit you’ve ordered? It just seems to me like you’ve been speaking very surreptitiously. Some photos would be cool too.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

10. Playing since 1976

You owned a Masterworks Studio Recipe kit, and it's already gone? That's a relatively new concept.
    What's new about the concept of buying and selling gear?
    Is it me?

Enjoy your new Masterworks kit.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

11. Registered User

Is it me?

When I read your original post, I read it the way sundevil did.

Now... I get it.

#latetotheparty

12. Registered User

Is it me?

Hilarious

I’ll enjoy it when I receive it in a few months