Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    I don't understand the small kick either. Nice twist on a matte red finish though.
    I don’t think there’s anything to “understand”; I like small kick drums as much as larger ones. I wouldn’t choose an 18” kick if I were limited to only one setup, but it was a fine option to choose from. I’ve got other kits with 20” and 22” kicks...my sonic palette is not suffering

2. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by sundevil View Post
    I don’t think there’s anything to “understand”; I like small kick drums as much as larger ones. I wouldn’t choose an 18” kick if I were limited to only one setup, but it was a fine option to choose from. I’ve got other kits with 20” and 22” kicks...my sonic palette is not suffering
    I have a 16, 20, and 22, so I know what you mean. I think it’s the combination of sizes that people cannot “understand”.

3. Registered User

Wow!

Sucherman's new kit is definitely the most stunning wood grain finish I've ever seen.

The gold hardware looks fantastic as well.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    I have a 16, 20, and 22, so I know what you mean. I think it’s the combination of sizes that people cannot “understand”.
    Perhaps. This wasn't a custom order so I accepted what was available. I think we all have been conditioned to have hangups about gear and ideal, quintessential sizes but at the end of the day, to me, drums are drums. After all, I'm not playing Budokan anytime soon.

5. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by sundevil View Post
    It's not that an 18" kick is bad, but in your Masterworks set-up, it appears out of place. Typically you'd see 18" bass drums accompanied by other proportionally small drum, to save room on a small stage, or for venues where quiet playing is necessary. On your kit, your toms, snare, and floors appear to be full-size, which will give a full, robust sound (if set up and tuned properly), and will take up plenty of space on a stage. But the kick drum won't perform to the same level as the rest of the kit, and won't save much space on a stage, since the rest of the kit seems to be full-size. That's what I was trying to say.

... let's see how this get's misconstrued
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    It's not that an 18" kick is bad, but in your Masterworks set-up, it appears out of place. Typically you'd see 18" bass drums accompanied by other proportionally small drum, to save room on a small stage, or for venues where quiet playing is necessary. On your kit, your toms, snare, and floors appear to be full-size, which will give a full, robust sound (if set up and tuned properly), and will take up plenty of space on a stage. But the kick drum won't perform to the same level as the rest of the kit, and won't save much space on a stage, since the rest of the kit seems to be full-size. That's what I was trying to say
    That's what I was thinking too

7. Chomp, Chomp

I was thinking the same as well. I asked him for the specs on both kits, but all we got were the specs on the first kit. I’m guessing either his new kit will have a bigger kick or smaller toms.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Beautiful drums of course. For me, the pics spark a comment and a question. First of all, TS's old gold hardware is really beat. My question is, did they print a wrap for the rocket toms, or did they use an actual veneer. My guess is, they printed a wrap, but I would like to know if they found a way to attach a real wood veneer to the metal rocket tom shells. I can't imagine that would endure the road and temperature fluctuations.
    Matt, back in the day that I used to build custom drums, we wrapped Aluminum shells with wood veneers all the time. We used a type of contact cement and it adhered fine and we never head that the veneer peeled or lifted. I might give that a try as I would like to build another set of rocket toms as my last aluminum ones I sold...you might be on to something there!.

Cheers
    OBH
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!

9. NO KIT TOO BIG

His new live kit just announced on his FB page, too many words and pictures to put here, so will add the link. Just Wow.

"with the Studio Recipe which is 4 ply Maple and 2 inner ply Gum with 60 degree bearing edges. A new burst was stained over Quilted Cameroon Black Limba with rose gold hardware on all the drums. “TS” Styx font logo in rose gold leaf on each drum was tastefully done as certain light and angles pull them out. All the tension rods and inner screws and washers were done in rose gold as well and the inner Gum has a similar stain over the wood as the finish. All new hardware with a chromed rack completes the set up. All hoops are triple flanged and I went back to the classic lug design. I’d like to thank everyone at Pearl USA and PMI for knocking this one out of the park—and for John Farquharson’s long hours and patience over two years with this vision. There will be more pictures and film clips when this hits the stage. 22x16 bass drums, 6x7,8x7,10x8,12x8 rack toms,14x14,16x16,18x16 floor toms, 20x14 gong drum. The snares are 14x5.5 and one shell is the Maple Gum and the other is the Fiberglass/Kapur which is used in their amazing Hybrid Exotic line. This kit is a work of art and I’m so grateful for the efforts form everyone at Pearl. Thank you!"

Full specs here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...267&__tn__=K-R

Name:  59805426_2383711158329547_4011259619195224064_n.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  119.7 KB
    Name:  59395115_2383711561662840_6087281385121251328_n.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  129.3 KB
    Name:  59404938_2383711051662891_2833723300532715520_n.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  119.3 KB
    Name:  59515228_2383711991662797_7243778574556069888_n.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  49.5 KB
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

10. Pearl Corporation USA

Todd's new snare is pretty hot too!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

KISS uses Gibson guitars and PEARL drums because they want the Best!

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    Todd's new snare is pretty hot too!
    Wow!

12. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

What is that blue light he’s holding?