Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    Awesome. I thought you were pretty young and that's a great thing. Do you ever get the " who's this kid!? " look from other musicians? Or does your reputation proceed you in most circles?
    I remember the first time someone wasn't impressed by my age. That's what let me know I was getting old, and I was only 28 playing with a group all 45+!
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Good on you. Most drummers I knew were only interested in playing (or trying to play) Tool at that age and only wanted to be in metal or prog bands.
    Actually, what's wrong with that? Playing Metal or Prog is very challenging. I'm 63 years old and I wish I could play some of that stuff!

3. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    Actually, what's wrong with that? Playing Metal or Prog is very challenging. I'm 63 years old and I wish I could play some of that stuff!
    Absolutely nothing! I was one of them, ha! It's just nice to see more variety among teenaged drummers than I'm accustomed to.

4. Registered User

I've seen some eyes pop out when I'd get out of my truck to do a roof and looked like I was 15 when I was 28! I'm still the same size as an 8th grader but the gray and wrinkles give me away now.

5. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Good on you. Most drummers I knew were only interested in playing (or trying to play) Tool at that age and only wanted to be in metal or prog bands.
    Haha Its all about balance. I love to play Rush, which I often do (I never got into Tool). But i'm happy to play fusion, soul, rock, blues, whatever's thrown at me. Its good to have that variation, and be put in different playing situations. Only a few months back, I was asked to play a one off jump jive swing gig, something i'd never done before, but it was fun giving it a go, I was organised and new my parts and the music just flowed easily.

I actually stepped in for 3 songs last night with a group of young musicians a an open mic night, 3 heavy metal songs, a style I rarely if ever play, that I was given Monday morning. For Whom the Bell Tolls, Walk, and The Game. It was alright, i learned the parts, and they played well, you could tell they were still learning, but the standard was good.

The way that I see it is that a gig is a gig, so its beneficial to take it (especially paid) and be out of your comfort zone, its an opportunity to try something new, which may be useful later. Thats what my reputation is built on, reliability to just turn up and play for the gig, no matter what is thrown at me.
    Last edited by RushDrums24; 03-23-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

6. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    Haha Its all about balance. I love to play Rush, which I often do (I never got into Tool). But i'm happy to play fusion, soul, rock, blues, whatever's thrown at me. Its good to have that variation, and be put in different playing situations. Only a few months back, I was asked to play a one off jump jive swing gig, something i'd never done before, but it was fun giving it a go, I was organised and new my parts and the music just flowed easily.

I actually stepped in for 3 songs last night with a group of young musicians a an open mic night, 3 heavy metal songs, a style I rarely if ever play, that I was given Monday morning. For Whom the Bell Tolls, Walk, and The Game. It was alright, i learned the parts, and they played well, you could tell they were still learning, but the standard was good.

The way that I see it is that a gig is a gig, so its beneficial to take it (especially paid) and be out of your comfort zone, its an opportunity to try something new, which may be useful later. Thats what my reputation is built on, reliability to just turn up and play for the gig, no matter what is thrown at me.
    Definitely good to sit in with hep cats.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Registered User

Unless hep is short for hepatitis. Then it's not so cool.

8. th droids yerlookn4

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    How old are you RushDrums? If you don't mind me asking.
    if you dont mind me asking ...how old are you rocker ...you look younger than expected , in the photo

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    if you dont mind me asking ...how old are you rocker ...you look younger than expected , in the photo
    I'm...48 as of January.

10. th droids yerlookn4

dang .. im 45 lol

11. Registered User

Kinda sorta near Pittsburgh (right at the tristate area)

Dang... I'm 29

Is this a new game?

12. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Dang... I'm 30?