Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
  1. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez_Whiz View Post
    It if was OK with this guy, the I'm OK w shorts...

Attachment 516410
    That’s precisely the photo I was gonna post.
    Way Too Much Crap

2. NO KIT TOO BIG

It if was OK with this guy, then I'm OK w shorts...

Attachment 516410
    Not the only time he's rocked the look either....

Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

3. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    Not the only time he's rocked the look either....

“Weak”.
    Way Too Much Crap

4. Miles Gibbons

I've been taking the brand new Roland VAD 503 to Toronto-area MI stores, to give everyone who missed NAMM an early look at this kit - it'll be in Canadian stores in May. I think I'm the first person in Canada to have played one - it's a blast. The most enjoyable electronic drumming experience I've had, in terms of the feel and playability. The new module is killer too. One of the stores took this picture for their social media today.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

5. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    I've been taking the brand new Roland VAD 503 to Toronto-area MI stores, to give everyone who missed NAMM an early look at this kit - it'll be in Canadian stores in May. I think I'm the first person in Canada to have played one - it's a blast. The most enjoyable electronic drumming experience I've had, in terms of the feel and playability. The new module is killer too. One of the stores took this picture for their social media today.
    I canít say I like the attempt to look like an acoustic kit when there is no acoustic sounds. How much is it?

6. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    I canít say I like the attempt to look like an acoustic kit when there is no acoustic sounds. How much is it?
    One of the most common requests Roland gets from V-Drums players is that they donít look substantial enough, or enough like acoustic drums. Plenty of drummers are now satisfied with the feel and sounds, but wonít play V-Drums live because of how they look. Weíve addressed this.

I was sceptical at first - the aesthetic factor was never important to me. Now that Iíve had my hands on this kit, I can definitely assert that they are a lot of fun to play... the fact that the Tom is mounted from a stand, and the Floor Tom sits on the floor via legs, actually has a significant impact on feel. Thatís the biggest benefit in my opinion.

This configuration is $4999 Canadian.
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

7. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    One of the most common requests Roland gets from V-Drums players is that they don’t look substantial enough, or enough like acoustic drums. Plenty of drummers are now satisfied with the feel and sounds, but won’t play V-Drums live because of how they look. We’ve addressed this.

I was sceptical at first - the aesthetic factor was never important to me. Now that I’ve had my hands on this kit, I can definitely assert that they are a lot of fun to play... the fact that the Tom is mounted from a stand, and the Floor Tom sits on the floor via legs, actually has a significant impact on feel. That’s the biggest benefit in my opinion.

This configuration is $4999 Canadian.
    I think it’s poser and wasteful. Why in the hell would someone want to carry more than they have to? Should an electric guitar look like an acoustic? How about a keyboard?

8. Registered User

I think it’s poser and wasteful. Why in the hell would someone want to carry more than they have to? Should an electric guitar look like an acoustic? How about a keyboard?
    I like the fact that everything is more naturally placed, by which I mean it's actually setup as an acoustic kit. If I were going to have an E-kit at home, I would want one like this as opposed to the traditional E-kits.

I'm also sure you could stick normal heads on it and play it acoustically as well like the Pearl E-Pro.

9. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    I like the fact that everything is more naturally placed, by which I mean it's actually setup as an acoustic kit. If I were going to have an E-kit at home, I would want one like this as opposed to the traditional E-kits.

I'm also sure you could stick normal heads on it and play it acoustically as well like the Pearl E-Pro.
    It looks like an entry level kit. I also don’t see how you couldn’t set up a traditional E-kit like a regular kit.

10. Miles Gibbons

Ha ha! Well, obviously this kit isn't for you, which is fine. The majority of instruments\accessories sold are purchased by hobbyists and semi-pros, who definitely have different requirements and expectations of their gear. Pros like you and I are not keeping music stores alive, so the demand in the market is skewed differently. As I mentioned in the previous post, this kit is exactly what thousands and thousands of drummers have been asking for - people want to "carry more than they need to" because they want their electronic drum set to look and feel like an acoustic kit. Maybe not a priority for you or me, but the demand is high for this.

This is going to be an easier adjustment for a lifelong acoustic player that wants to match that playing experience as much as possible.

It's interesting that you bring up guitars and keyboards - the playing surface of an electric keyboard or guitar very closely matches the physical layout of their acoustic counterpart, and so why shouldn't a digital drum kit? obviously there is still going to be a feel difference with mesh heads and rubber cymbals, but this gets you closer.

It looks like an entry level kit. I also don’t see how you couldn’t set up a traditional E-kit like a regular kit.
    Considering the nature of what I do with Roland, I set up and play different electronic kits WAY more than the average drummer, so here is an opinion formed by a lot of experience: standard electronic drum hardware always forces you to make compromises. I find I can never get the cymbals low enough, if I don't completely reconfigure which rack parts go where. And again, a floor tom that sits on legs feels way more satisfying to play than a 10" pad hanging from a plastic rack. Obviously the look is the most obvious defining feature of this kit, but the feel is more important, and that has also been improved with this design. Try one out when they roll into stores; it sounds like you probabely won't want one, but it would surprise me if you didn't think there was a difference in your playing experience.

I'm not sure what about this looks entry level - the fittings are all high quality. Beavertail style lugs, the hardware is all pretty heavy-duty. I guess you don't like the finish? Opinions, you know.
    Last edited by MilesAway; 01-22-2020 at 09:58 AM.

11. Registered User

Wow. I never realized how tight it was back there. His floor toms are really close to the snare.

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed View Post
    Wow. I never realized how tight it was back there. His floor toms are really close to the snare.
    That struck me too. I thought that his whole set up idea after meeting with Freddie was that things were farther apart.
    Way Too Much Crap