Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Professional Amateur

Default Mapex Saturn V MH Exotic, Deep Water Maple Burl

After playing my Rhythm Traveler for the past 16 years -- and my Rolands TD4 for the past six -- I've finally upgraded to a big boy kit.

Preliminary photos here; still lacking the 8x7 tom that's scheduled to be delivered Tuesday and the setup still needs some tweeking, but here's the initial setup I jammed on a little this afternoon. Please disregard my gimp throne. The new Roc n' Sock is also slated for delivery Tuesday!

Name:  b75wtsy.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  77.4 KB

Name:  FJKiwVb.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  71.1 KB

2. Registered User

Excellent looking kit and set-up! Congrats!

3. A Passion Play ...

Sweet kit.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

4. Music Lover

That is one nice kit! I have the same kit but only have a bass drum, 12" tom, 16" floor tom, and 14x5.5 snare. May they give you years of musical joy. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex Saturn (snare, bass drum, and toms); Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian AA, AAX, HHX, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army

5. life start at 125bpm

love this specific exotic finish and the tone of this color .very classy ,while not hiding the wood grain.

now,that is quite a drastic change .you say you played a RT and e drum kit for 16 years!!

what pushed you in the decision of playing with '''''big guns''' after nearly 2 decades of edrums and a RT ??
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

6. Professional Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    love this specific exotic finish and the tone of this color .very classy ,while not hiding the wood grain.

now,that is quite a drastic change .you say you played a RT and e drum kit for 16 years!!

what pushed you in the decision of playing with '''''big guns''' after nearly 2 decades of edrums and a RT ??
    Honestly, a lot of factors went into it. Ideally I would have upgraded a long time ago but a few specific thoughts on it:

Primarily, until 2016 I rented, living in apartments that didn't 1) really have the space for a full size kit and 2) had neighbors that really wouldn't have appreciated the noise (hence the e-kit I picked up along the way). Then we bought our own place and I was able to play loud again more frequently.

My plan actually wasn't to go as high-end as I did. I was looking at a Decade Maple or a Mapex Armory for a long while, but when it came time to actually buy I started doing some reading. While every review video I watched was largely complimentary of both kits -- included fairly impartial reviews who weren't afraid to comment on the negatives -- I started to have second thoughts. After talking about it with my wife, she was very supportive of going higher end because it's an investment; why spend half the money, but get something where QC might not be as good and/or I'd end up upgrading again in a while if I find myself in a situation where I'm playing out with people?

So I did a lot of looking at the used market but just wasn't finding something that really called to me, and my wife didn't feel spending 3/4 of the money to get "almost" didn't really seem like the best investment.

So with her encouragement (she's awesome, by the by) I went ahead and took the plunge.

7. Drumming Since 1943

Beautiful kit but i have to ask- what did it do to result in it being told to face the wall?
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Beautiful kit but i have to ask- what did it do to result in it being told to face the wall?
    It voted Lars Ulrich as the best technical metal drummer of all time???

9. Professional Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I know it's frowned upon but in the space I have it's just the most efficient use of space I've got. I need to work on getting that room cleaned out and streamlined a little and maybe I can get things turned around.

The thing is, my electric kit is also in that room in the other corner so between the two there's not a lot of wiggle room.

Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    It voted Lars Ulrich as the best technical metal drummer of all time???
    It most certainly did not such thing; you take that back!