Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Repairing bell holes

Okay, so obviously it's possible to repair cracks and even blowout along the edge of the cymbal when done correctly. Cracks can be drilled, missing chunks can be cut around, etc..., but so far I haven't been able to find anything on how to repair cracks around the bell hole. People on forums or in videos just casually mention it, but so far no one that I've seen has explained how.

I have an old Paiste Formula 602 ride (probably from the early to mid 60s) that has some cracks around the hole (I'm guessing it was used as a crash too much and the poor thing just couldn't take the abuse), and I'd love to be able to play it every now and then, but I'm afraid of doing any more damage than there already is without taking any steps to fix what's there.
    Don't pick a fight with a drummer... we beat things for a living.

2. The Hardware Guy

There's not really an ideal way - you need to enlarge the hole to remove any cracks, which would make the cymbal slip and slide around on a cymbal stand more than it should, and to combat that you need to fit a metal grommet to reduce the hole size again, which will severely impact the sound
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

3. ...A mind like Water...

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    There's not really an ideal way - you need to enlarge the hole to remove any cracks, which would make the cymbal slip and slide around on a cymbal stand more than it should, and to combat that you need to fit a metal grommet to reduce the hole size again, which will severely impact the sound
    That's the best repair I've seen on a bell!
    Check out my awesome Drum Shop on Reverb! https://reverb.com/shop/mjks-drum-shop

4. SUPREME MODULATOR

You can also use a replaceable rubber grommet with little to no affect on sound.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PYRRHO View Post
    You can also use a replaceable rubber grommet with little to no affect on sound.
    I was wondering about that, actually. If I do end up getting the hole drilled out I'll definitely give that a try.
    Don't pick a fight with a drummer... we beat things for a living.