Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GLX Drums

1. Registered User

Ah so you bought that 8x12 that was on eBay... Very nice. I was looking real hard at it and almost snatched it up, but I already have an 8x12. I have a pretty big collection of GLX drums, all piano black, that I have collected over the years. Got my first GLX kit in 1985, and I'm still playing it! I absolutely love them!

2. Retired Soldier

I did.....dad had the 9x13 & 11x13......but with the 8x10 & 10x12 , the 9x13 was kind of "lost", it didn't really fit in anywhere, except by itself. When I saw that 8x12 pop up, I knew that it was a perfect fit and I had to have it. I did a little research with the online catalogs and found that they actually made a factory 8x12 (as well as the 9x13), so I was good with the fact that it was probably "real". I'm glad that we didn't get into a bidding war, I picked that 8x12 up for a steal (IMHO). The last time I had bid on a GLX on ebay, it was the 8x8 shell without hardware. I threw down a $400 bid at 10 seconds left and still lost it. It will haunt me as the "unicorn" that got away....LOL.
    Don't try so hard, the world needs Ditch Diggers TOO!!!!

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" -Isaiah 6:8

Pearl Drums - click links to see(SBX, MMX, BRX, MLX, GLX, REF, and MW), Pearl Hardware, Lots O Cymbals

3. Retired Soldier

And now, for the FUN part......Since I had everything set up...I figured I would have a little fun:
    First, with the 10x12 & 11x13:
    Name:  DSCN8013.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  108.1 KB
    Name:  DSCN8015.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  148.2 KB
    Name:  DSCN8017.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  127.3 KB
    Name:  DSCN8020.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  112.7 KB

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" -Isaiah 6:8

Pearl Drums - click links to see(SBX, MMX, BRX, MLX, GLX, REF, and MW), Pearl Hardware, Lots O Cymbals

4. Retired Soldier

and now with the 8x12 & 9x13:
    Name:  DSCN8025.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  149.6 KB
    Name:  DSCN8029.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  111.1 KB
    Name:  DSCN8030.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  115.5 KB

Both were done with my dad's cymbals. So, while I already have some Z Customs, I picked up some more and just waiting on them. Once they come in, I'll do some more pics with the full Z Customs.

5. Registered User

Hey Side by side The which do you like better the 10x 12 .11x 13 or the 8x12, 9x13?
    WANTED MMX DIAMOND BURST 13"x 10" -could swap 14x12 PM ME

or masters premium

Ready for Spring

6. Retired Soldier

The shorter toms feel more "natural" to me, I guess since that is what is popular now. The full size "power" toms definitely have more of a presence to them visually. I can't really compare them sound wise, as they don't have the same heads. The Fiberskyn are warmer, allowing the drums to open up and sing (more resonance). The power toms, especially the 13" (with the pinstripe), have heads that are designed to muffle the resonance. When all is said and done, and finished, I'll have one of the 22s, with 8x10, 8x12, 9x13, 12x14, & 13x15....being more of a "Jazz" kind of kit (with Zildjian Ks for cymbals), and then the 24", with the 10x12, 11x13, 16x16, & 16x18...being a ROCK kit (with the Z Customs for the cymbals).

Basically, the difference between THIS kit (20, 10, 12, 14, 16):
    Name:  DSCN7899.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  128.1 KB

And THIS kit (22, 8, 10, 12, 13, 16, 18)
    Name:  DSCN7889.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  126.7 KB

Both of them are Reference kits, but they each have a very distinctive feel once you sit behind them.

7. Retired Soldier

With ALL Zildjian Custom Z cymbals ( 1x 17, 2x 18, 1x 19, 1x 20 china, 1x 18 china, 14 & 15" MS hi hats, 21" Mega-Bell ride). I tried to duplicate the pedals, but I only had 1 eliminator pedal for it. Of course, I don't have ALL the cymbals correct, and I would prefer to have another 19", but it's at least a good start. Of course, the 8 & 10" are missing from the left side, but that's because the 8" is about as rare as a rainbow unicorn; so maybe SOME day.
    Name:  DSCN8059.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  125.2 KB
    Name:  DSCN8061.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  128.6 KB
    Name:  DSCN8071.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  113.0 KB
    Name:  DSCN8072.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  112.5 KB

8. Registered User

Thanks for your reply I think the shorter depth are easier and a little more fun to play , Nice Z custom set up a little heavy for my taste but with a mega bell ride you can ring for take out
    WANTED MMX DIAMOND BURST 13"x 10" -could swap 14x12 PM ME

or masters premium

Ready for Spring

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteG View Post
    I did.....dad had the 9x13 & 11x13......but with the 8x10 & 10x12 , the 9x13 was kind of "lost", it didn't really fit in anywhere, except by itself. When I saw that 8x12 pop up, I knew that it was a perfect fit and I had to have it. I did a little research with the online catalogs and found that they actually made a factory 8x12 (as well as the 9x13), so I was good with the fact that it was probably "real". I'm glad that we didn't get into a bidding war, I picked that 8x12 up for a steal (IMHO). The last time I had bid on a GLX on ebay, it was the 8x8 shell without hardware. I threw down a $400 bid at 10 seconds left and still lost it. It will haunt me as the "unicorn" that got away....LOL.
    Sorry man, I got that 8x8. I watched it for a long time and put down a bid that was so high, that if anyone outbid it, they deserved to have it. I've been looking for one for 30 years, and I swore that if I ever saw one, I'd buy it no matter what it cost. I always said that the GLX 8x8 is like the Yeti or Bigfoot. There's enough evidence to make their existence believable, but nobody I know could verify ever having seen one. I finally, after all these years, have an original. I have a Masters 7x8 that I put GLX hardware and badge on that fit the bill and looked the part until I was able to get this one. Now my rack tom lineup is 8x8, 8x10, 8x12. Perfect. I have a couple of 11x13's, but they typically stay cased or I will set one up as an aux tom on the left of the hi-hat. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on a 9x13... I missed out on a 14x14 GLX FT a few years ago - got outbid on that one... But, I have an 12x14 that I put a suspension ring and legs on, so I use it in the FT position in front of my 16 FT. Anyway, I love my GLX's.

10. Retired Soldier

I can't fault you for going after the 8" like that, and I haven't been searching nearly as long. I've got 2x 8x14 GLX snares, and 2x 6.5x14 Super Gripper Brass snares, so I can't complain. I go through a series of searches every day, looking for the Unicorns of the bunch, the 8", the 14x14 floor tom, the 18x16 (just because I would love to find one in Piano Black), the 20" bass drum, and the GLX Free Floater and GLX/Super Gripper Carbon Fiber snare. Maybe some day.

Here's a ebay listing I found during one of those searches: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pearl-Ma...YAAOSwTuJYvXID I don't know if it's real or not, but if it IS, then they've got a bunch of the unicorns; the 8", the 14x14, and the 16x18". It works out to about $4700 USD for EVERYTHING (rack, hardware and cymbals included). The problem I see is the shipping for all of that; it's GOT to be $2000 or more to ship everything to the states. Someone else pointed out that the Super Gripper lugs on that are Gold, apparently something that COULD be requested back then (meaning its possible that they ARE real and factory coated). That would make it even MORE of a unicorn.

I set that double bass kit up as an Ode to Eric Singer, since he still plays his GLX kits (yes, he has MORE than 1). I couldn't match him on the Z Custom cymbals (he typically has 8x 19" crashes...and 19" Z Custom cymbals are hard to find on ebay), and of course couldn't position the 8 & 10 toms on the left side, but I figured it was worth trying to set it up. The truth is, I'm NOT a double bass player, so I probably will never set it up that way again. I'll use the Z Customs for the 24, 12, 13, 16, 18 "ROCK" set.

11. Registered User

Yeah, I love Eric Singer, and I really liked his custom flames on his GLX kit when he was with Alice Cooper.

I also have an 8x14 Super Gripper snare, a brass Super Gripper snare, and a chrome covered maple Super Griipper snare (the one that came with my original kit). I have 2- 24" kicks, 2- 22" kicks, and 2 of the 16x18 FT's. One of the 16x18's has been used as a small jungle kick drum for many years.

I wish I could afford to buy that listing......