Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Kit

1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Example.
    Those are my Rocket Toms in the ES Comet sparkle finish. I'm not a fan of the "classic" Pearl badge they still use either.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to remove the badges from the Rocket Toms. It isn't like removing a badge from a Pearl snare drum. If you go with black or white Rocket Toms, it's would be a good idea to refinish them after removing the badges.

MM
    Last edited by MusicMan; 05-09-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

2. Playing since 1976

I think you can just use fishing line, then Goo Gone (not Goof Off) for the adhesive residue that remains.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Iíve worked with Chris on a special order thing and heís amazing. Great guy to deal with.
    Yes, I use him for all of my Masterworks special orders as well.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

4. Registered User

So, I discovered I was using the optimounts wrong. I was putting the rubber gasket in the wrong spot. First time ever using them honestly was this kit. It still sounded great, but honesty took way more time then it should have to tune them. Figured I was doing it right until I came across the post on here about the proper location of the rubber "washers" in the mount. And my goodness, what a night and day difference. Hard to believe a piece of rubber could control the sound that much. I switched to coated heads and it's a very nice warm sound. I also added my 10" tom. I have the matching MCX 14x6.5 snare ordered (should be here in a month hopefully) and I placed an order for the matching 14x14 floor tom a few days ago. Long wait until March! Quite a bit of money to spend in one shot, but I'm worried I soon wouldn't be able to order that finish anymore. I very rarely see any add on pieces as well in Mocha Tamo for sale. I absolutely love this kit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Young James View Post
    So, I discovered I was using the optimounts wrong. I was putting the rubber gasket in the wrong spot. First time ever using them honestly was this kit. It still sounded great, but honesty took way more time then it should have to tune them. Figured I was doing it right until I came across the post on here about the proper location of the rubber "washers" in the mount. And my goodness, what a night and day difference. Hard to believe a piece of rubber could control the sound that much. I switched to coated heads and it's a very nice warm sound. I also added my 10" tom. I have the matching MCX 14x6.5 snare ordered (should be here in a month hopefully) and I placed an order for the matching 14x14 floor tom a few days ago. Long wait until March! Quite a bit of money to spend in one shot, but I'm worried I soon wouldn't be able to order that finish anymore. I very rarely see any add on pieces as well in Mocha Tamo for sale. I absolutely love this kit.
    Concerning the rubber gaskets, I did this same thing a few years ago on my first mcx kit until I saw something here about how they should be mounted correctly and it really made a difference. All of mine were in the wrong position from the 8 to 12" from the factory so I assumed that's how they were suppose to be. Once I corrected the problem, the drums had so much more resonance and sounded like a different kit. Even the 8" tom sang like never before...That's a beautiful kit you have and you'll love the 14x14 ft in the mcx, they fill the gap from the 12 to 16 very nicely and have a good tuning range. It was my favorite drum in the kit when I had mine.

6. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed View Post
    http://www.flacche.com/index.php/drums/snare-drumsWell this is to eat into today's productivity!
    in my case,it always means the removal of the drooling matter on my computer keys....

Quote Originally Posted by Master88 View Post
    Concerning the rubber gaskets, I did this same thing a few years ago on my first mcx kit until I saw something here about how they should be mounted correctly and it really made a difference. All of mine were in the wrong position from the 8 to 12" from the factory so I assumed that's how they were suppose to be. Once I corrected the problem, the drums had so much more resonance and sounded like a different kit. Even the 8" tom sang like never before...That's a beautiful kit you have and you'll love the 14x14 ft in the mcx, they fill the gap from the 12 to 16 very nicely and have a good tuning range. It was my favorite drum in the kit when I had mine.

(correct me if i'm wrong) but if i remember correctly, it wasn't that the grommets were incorrectly mounted by the pearl staff at the factory; it's more that , Gene Okamoto discovered that the rubber grommets have a better effect on resonnance installed '''his ''' way. this is dating from 5-6 years ago?
    Last edited by rollracer; 09-25-2018 at 01:49 PM.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

7. Registered User

Could definitely be it. But it's crazy how they came to life just by moving those grommets. They sing so well now. Had them since December and figured it out Sunday haha. Found a whole new place in my heart for them now

8. Registered User

Here she is......after 2 days shy of 6 months, my new addition to the family has arrived. 14x6.5 MCX snare in Mocha Tamo finish. I love how everything matches now. I know one thing, that snare can sing!

Next is my 14x14 matching floor tom. Should be here April or May.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Young James View Post
    Here she is......after 2 days shy of 6 months, my new addition to the family has arrived. 14x6.5 MCX snare in Mocha Tamo finish. I love how everything matches now. I know one thing, that snare can sing! Next is my 14x14 matching floor tom. Should be here April or May.
    Very nice! I have the same snare in vintage wine and the 6.5x14 masters have always been my most versatile snare. They have a huge tuning range. Hope you enjoy yours

10. life start at 125bpm

beautyfull!! i love the pearl tamo and the grain pattern..it screams class.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

11. Registered User

Looks nicer then a furniture piece! Beautiful Young James!

12. Registered User

It sounds incredible. I spent 2 minutes tuning it right out of the box and it sings. Super easy to get it sounding great and looks amazing. Definitely going to be my Go to snare