Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Suggestion for a Shure room mic?

Hello Everyone!

I currently have the Shure drum mic kit with the 57's, a beta 52, and use a pair of SM81's for overheads. We've been doing a lot of live recording these days, but are already planning for our next release and will be going back to traditional multi tracking. I haven't ever used a room mic before, but would like to try one out on the next EP. Can anyone suggest a mic (from the Shure camp, as I'm a fan), that would work well as a room mic? It would also be great if it could be multipurpose. I use the 81's for acoustic instruments as well and I think they sound pretty good. Any suggestions would be appreciated. And yes my interface has phantom power. Keeping the budget under $500 would be great.

Thanks everyone
    Practice Kit:
    Pearl: 14X3.5FFM, 16X16DM, 18X14DM
    A Cstm: 13" MS Hats, 10" Spl, 20 Proj, 18" EFX, 6.5" ZilBel

Gig Kit:
    Pearl: 13X3 Piccolo, 13X10 Masters, 16X16 Export Kick
    A Cstm: 13" MS Hats, 20" Proj, 6.5" ZilBel, 8" Spl

2. SUPREME MODULATOR

KSM141 but i gotta tell ya you can do better with audio-technica

3. NO KIT TOO BIG

Audio technical AT2020 or AT4040 is the way to go.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

4. Drum Ninja

It's really hard to stick with just one brand of mics when recording. Heck, I use 3 different brands live to get the sound I want... I agree with the AT4040. Also check out the Blue baby bottle and the Shure KSM32. If you can up your budget just a bit check out the Miktek C1. I used it as a mono room mic on my last session run into an Avalon 747 and it sounded amazing.
    RBH Monarch Drums in Merlot Sparkle
    RBH Westwood Drums in Green Sparkle

5. Registered User

Thanks guys. Would you suggest I go with a stereo pair for room? Or just mono?
    Practice Kit:

Gig Kit:

6. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Boy_Narf View Post
    I've been reading up on mics and recording, and I haven't read anything about "stereo room mics." However, a pair of overheads is very common.

I like matching brands, but I didn't go in that direction when it came to recording equipment. My "big drum" mics are all Sennheiser, my snare mic is Audix, and my overheads are sE electronics. I went with what I thought was best for the application.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

7. Drum Ninja

I typically go mono room. Most of the time I just end up squashing the snit out of it and using it as a pseudo parallel compression.
    RBH Monarch Drums in Merlot Sparkle
    RBH Westwood Drums in Green Sparkle

8. Registered User

How about a large diaphragm condenser?
    You can get a Shure KSM44 used for under $500.
    That'll give you the option of a mono overhead with stereo rooms, or stereo overheads with a mono room.
    The KSM44 should work as a vocal mic as well, or for anything really.

9. Registered User

AT2035, SM27, Beta27

10. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by Boy_Narf View Post
    I was recording in a pro studio recently, using a stereo pair of room mics (aswell as OH's), evenly spaced about 20ft from the snare. They were some very out of your budget AKG C414's, but the setup sounded great in that large room. for a smaller room, I think one room mic one be enough.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

11. Registered User

thanks guys, I found pair of KSM141's locally. They are a few years old but havn't been used much. Seems like a decent price, just have to offload some other gear to help fund em.

I've also been doing a bit of research on the mono/stereo room mic thing. We just recorded our full album live meaning there was a ton of drum bleed into the vocal mic (57). With it muted the drums sound way too dry (yes there is verb on them). Of course this is the vocal mic so we can't mute it and even if we put a gate on the voice, you can hear the drum parts phasing in and out. This got me thinking that I should get a room mic. I then found a few articles talking about engineers putting the room mics in different spots like one over the drummers shoulder, or pointing towards the floor tom but at a 45 degree angle to the floor. Also found a few guys who point them at the walls so they only pickup the reflections and of course there are other folks who just set them up as far and wide as the room will allow. I always record with the pair of SM81's as overheads and I'm digging the sound. I've got 8 inputs on my interface so I was thinking since I play a three piece kit I would go with the two 81's as overheads, a 57 on the top and bottom of the snare, another 57 on the floor tom, the beta 52 on the kick, and then I would have two inputs for room mics. I'm thinking it should fatten things up nicely.

I've also read a bit about using room mics while recording guitar. Thinking that might really help to add some thickness to the mix as our main guitar player only has a Blues Jr. Might be cool to slap a 57 just off centre, and then one of these room mics 10 or so feet back and blend to taste. Literally unlimited options.

I also found the KSM137 pair which seems to be the same minus the pattern switch. I do think the omni directional would be useful for a room mic though.

P.S. I used an AT2020 ages ago for vocals. Honestly it's one of the best vocal sounds I've gotten especially considering the cost of the mic. I had forgotten about those until the suggestion so I might snag a pair of those as well.
    Practice Kit:

Gig Kit:

12. Registered User

If you're wanting to fatten things up, take a look at some ribbons.
    A pair of Cascade Fathead BEs is under $500.
    You could use them on guitar amps too, put one outside the kick, or once again use one or both on anything really.

I haven't quite found a spot that works for my Fatheads away from the kit yet as room mics (still experimenting),
    but I've had success using one along with a spaced pair of condensers in a three overhead setup,
    or just using one as a mono overhead.

Name:  IMAG6825~3.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  80.2 KB