Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Registered User

Hey folks, just wanted to bump this and ask for a touch more advice. As stated above I got the set of KSM141's but after listening to our latest recordings, I've decided that I'm going to use the 141's for hat and ride to get more definition. This means I no longer have extra mics to use for the room

I was thinking I could try something a touch different and look into a mono ribbon mic to add a bit of "vibe" to the overall sound. I've seen lots of folks suggesting either a fathead, or the Nady RSM-4. They are both affordable, so any guidance would be great!

I'm also planning to pickup an SM7B in the near future for vocals, but I'm not sure how good it would work as a room mic. If anyone has used one for drums/guitar room let me know how it went! Would be awesome if it could cover both vox/room with the SM7B.

Thanks,
    Practice Kit:
    Pearl: 14X3.5FFM, 10/14" Masters MCX.
    A Cstm: 13" MS Hats, 10" Spl, 20 Proj Crash, 18" EFX, 6.5" ZilBel, 14" SFlang, 12" Chopper

Gig Kit:
    Pearl: 13X3 Map Pic, 12" Masters MCX, 16" Export Kick.
    A Cstm: 13" MS Hats, 20" Proj Crash, 6.5" ZilBel, 8" Spl.

2. Experienced Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Boy_Narf View Post
    Hey folks, just wanted to bump this and ask for a touch more advice. As stated above I got the set of KSM141's but after listening to our latest recordings, I've decided that I'm going to use the 141's for hat and ride to get more definition. This means I no longer have extra mics to use for the room

I was thinking I could try something a touch different and look into a mono ribbon mic to add a bit of "vibe" to the overall sound. I've seen lots of folks suggesting either a fathead, or the Nady RSM-4. They are both affordable, so any guidance would be great!

I'm also planning to pickup an SM7B in the near future for vocals, but I'm not sure how good it would work as a room mic. If anyone has used one for drums/guitar room let me know how it went! Would be awesome if it could cover both vox/room with the SM7B.

Thanks,
    If you want vibe, go with a ribbon room mic. An SM7B is an excellent vocal mic (I have 2 of them) but it's not likely to provide the type of color I imagine you are looking for. Also, you will probably want a mic with an omnidirectional or figure of 8 polar pattern for your room, not cardiod (as the SM7B is).

I apologize if this has already been addressed (I haven't gone through the whole history in this thread), but just as important as your mic choice will be the compressor you choose when mixing. You're going to want something that can totally crush this track, but in a musical way. If you have the Slate Everything bundle, FG-Stress can do the job quite admirably. There are other great options from other companies as well. Good luck with it all.

3. Registered User

An SM57 should be close enough to an SM7B to get an idea of how an SM7B would work as a room mic.

If you're playing a 3pc kit, I don't imagine you really need two overheads, especially if you're mic'ing the ride and hats.
    Maybe you could do one KSM141 overhead, the two SM81s on ride and hats - that should give you some stereo spread,
    then put the other KSM141 in the room or tucked in the kit somewhere in cardioid or omni.
    Or, you could skip the overheads all together and run stereo room mics.

As for ribbons, another option is the MXL R40.
    Musicians Friend usually has them on sale.
    I went with the Cascade Fatheads because I'm under the impression that they have better quality control.
    I'm still a n00b, so I didn't want to unknowingly have mics that maybe weren't quite up to par.

Here are some examples of what different mics sound like in different areas around the kit and room.
    Mic setup - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSs3Sr_ZiTI
    Mic demos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YLlJZzO3cs
    And here's an example of a mono overhead with the ride and hat mics giving stereo spread.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fissQs1Aa88

4. Registered User

Interesting idea on the mono overheads. I had planned to out the 141s as close as possible and down in the mix. I wonder if those would pickup enough of my other cymbals... Hmm some tests are in order.
    Practice Kit:
    Pearl: 14X3.5FFM, 10/14" Masters MCX.
    A Cstm: 13" MS Hats, 10" Spl, 20 Proj Crash, 18" EFX, 6.5" ZilBel, 14" SFlang, 12" Chopper

Gig Kit:
    Pearl: 13X3 Map Pic, 12" Masters MCX, 16" Export Kick.
    A Cstm: 13" MS Hats, 20" Proj Crash, 6.5" ZilBel, 8" Spl.