Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    610

    Default Pearl SR-170 Strainer Loosening

    I have a Pearl Black Brass Sensitone snare that has a SR-017 strainer that loosens when playing. It seems now when I turn the knob to adjust tension there is one spot that it gets hard to turn and once past that spot it is fine again.
    Last edited by Mountain; 02-11-2018 at 12:25 PM.

  2. Registered User

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    895

    Default

    All my snares are sensitones. Never run into that problem before.

    My advice: Completely take apart the strainer. Clean it with solvent. Inspect everything. Lubricate moving parts and threads with automotive grease. See if that fixes the problem.

  3. There can be only 1

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wherever I want.
    Posts
    4,980

    Default

    The snare wire tension knob?

    Unscrew it and wrap it with a little teflon tape (for sealing pipes ) that will keep it from loosening while you play.

  4. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,584

    Default

    Do you mean an SR-017? If so, it might be defective. I've had a couple defective SR-017, SR-015, and SR-900 over the years.
    Anyone who owns a 14x6.5 Reference Snare OR a 14x5.5/6.5 Masters Premium Snare AND is interested in trading their chrome hardware for black hardware, PM me!

    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Do you mean an SR-017? If so, it might be defective. I've had a couple defective SR-017, SR-015, and SR-900 over the years.
    Yes, you caught the mistake. The SR-017 on my snare is going on 4 years old, so it may be worn out. I took it apart this morning and it is now operating smoothly. I played a few minutes on it and it seems to be working, so we'll see.

  6. Chomp, Chomp

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    6,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    Yes, you caught the mistake. The SR-017 on my snare is going on 4 years old, so it may be worn out. I took it apart this morning and it is now operating smoothly. I played a few minutes on it and it seems to be working, so we'll see.
    I have an SR-017 that had an adjustment knob that would bind in the same place on every revolution. I didn’t have a problem with mine loosening and if it did, it surely couldn’t have made it past where it was binding. I cleaned and lubricated everything and it’s working fine. It was never a very slick throw off, but after the cleaning and lubricating it’s now very slick. I couldn’t see any evidence of grease or oil on mine. If any is applied during manufacturing, it’s minimal.
    Drumming since 1961.
    MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Paiste Cymbals

  7. Meus nomen est Nate.

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,089

    Default

    Sometimes that main threaded rod that adjusts the tension is bent, causing either a stiff spot or a tightening/loosening effect or both when adjusting the tension. I've had a few different strainers over the years that had this problem including a SR-017. It's only the most important part of the whole strainer so you'd think QC would double check that particular piece.
    TOOL

    "Thereís a strong correlation between this bandís name and the type of people who listen to their MC Escher butt rock. Hopefully it will be 10,000 more days before they release another album."

  8. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, View Post
    Sometimes that main threaded rod that adjusts the tension is bent, causing either a stiff spot or a tightening/loosening effect or both when adjusting the tension. I've had a few different strainers over the years that had this problem including a SR-017. It's only the most important part of the whole strainer so you'd think QC would double check that particular piece.
    Yes, that could very well happen. Maybe it gets bent with use.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •