Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Pearl SR-170 Strainer Loosening

I have a Pearl Black Brass Sensitone snare that has a SR-017 strainer that loosens when playing. It seems now when I turn the knob to adjust tension there is one spot that it gets hard to turn and once past that spot it is fine again.
    Last edited by Mountain; 02-11-2018 at 11:25 AM.

2. Registered User

All my snares are sensitones. Never run into that problem before.

My advice: Completely take apart the strainer. Clean it with solvent. Inspect everything. Lubricate moving parts and threads with automotive grease. See if that fixes the problem.

3. There can be only 1

The snare wire tension knob?

Unscrew it and wrap it with a little teflon tape (for sealing pipes ) that will keep it from loosening while you play.

4. Playing since 1976

Do you mean an SR-017? If so, it might be defective. I've had a couple defective SR-017, SR-015, and SR-900 over the years.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Do you mean an SR-017? If so, it might be defective. I've had a couple defective SR-017, SR-015, and SR-900 over the years.
    Yes, you caught the mistake. The SR-017 on my snare is going on 4 years old, so it may be worn out. I took it apart this morning and it is now operating smoothly. I played a few minutes on it and it seems to be working, so we'll see.

6. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    Yes, you caught the mistake. The SR-017 on my snare is going on 4 years old, so it may be worn out. I took it apart this morning and it is now operating smoothly. I played a few minutes on it and it seems to be working, so we'll see.
    I have an SR-017 that had an adjustment knob that would bind in the same place on every revolution. I didn’t have a problem with mine loosening and if it did, it surely couldn’t have made it past where it was binding. I cleaned and lubricated everything and it’s working fine. It was never a very slick throw off, but after the cleaning and lubricating it’s now very slick. I couldn’t see any evidence of grease or oil on mine. If any is applied during manufacturing, it’s minimal.
    Drumming since 1961.
    MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Paiste Cymbals

7. Meus nomen est Nate.

Sometimes that main threaded rod that adjusts the tension is bent, causing either a stiff spot or a tightening/loosening effect or both when adjusting the tension. I've had a few different strainers over the years that had this problem including a SR-017. It's only the most important part of the whole strainer so you'd think QC would double check that particular piece.
    TOOL

"Thereís a strong correlation between this bandís name and the type of people who listen to their MC Escher butt rock. Hopefully it will be 10,000 more days before they release another album."

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by '][' [[]] [[]] ][, View Post
    Sometimes that main threaded rod that adjusts the tension is bent, causing either a stiff spot or a tightening/loosening effect or both when adjusting the tension. I've had a few different strainers over the years that had this problem including a SR-017. It's only the most important part of the whole strainer so you'd think QC would double check that particular piece.
    Yes, that could very well happen. Maybe it gets bent with use.

9. Registered User

Well, about a month ago I installed a brand new SR-017 strainer and the loosening problem still exists. Tried everything including new snare wires, heads, which I needed anyway, and also switched from cords to grosgrain ribbon and back to cords again, which I really prefer anyway. It shouldn't loosen like it is in just 5 to 10 minutes of playing. This may sound like a very basic question, but when you adjust the tension knob, do you throw off the snare wires and then adjust the knob, or turn the knob with the wires tight in the on position?

10. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    Well, about a month ago I installed a brand new SR-017 strainer and the loosening problem still exists. Tried everything including new snare wires, heads, which I needed anyway, and also switched from cords to grosgrain ribbon and back to cords again, which I really prefer anyway. It shouldn't loosen like it is in just 5 to 10 minutes of playing. This may sound like a very basic question, but when you adjust the tension knob, do you throw off the snare wires and then adjust the knob, or turn the knob with the wires tight in the on position?
    You should be able to adjust the tension knob, regardless of whether the snare wires are engaged or not, especially if you keep them loose. However, as a habit, I've always adjusted the tension when the snare wires are "off"

Now a basic question back at you... when you install the snare wires, are you carefully and evenly tightening the key bolts on each side? I've noticed that the bar that clamps down on the cords or ribbon can appear to be tight, but really be just jammed, if one key bolt gets too far ahead of the other in the tightening process.

The good news is, you can change that SR-017 for a bunch of other types of throw offs, as many will fit in those pre-drilled holes. I recommend the Dunnett R-Class "L-Style" for your Sensitone or the iNDE
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

11. Registered User

You should be able to adjust the tension knob, regardless of whether the snare wires are engaged or not, especially if you keep them loose. However, as a habit, I've always adjusted the tension when the snare wires are "off"

Now a basic question back at you... when you install the snare wires, are you carefully and evenly tightening the key bolts on each side? I've noticed that the bar that clamps down on the cords or ribbon can appear to be tight, but really be just jammed, if one key bolt gets too far ahead of the other in the tightening process.

The good news is, you can change that SR-017 for a bunch of other types of throw offs, as many will fit in those pre-drilled holes. I recommend the Dunnett R-Class "L-Style" for your Sensitone or the iNDE
    When I tighten the bar clamps I always finger tighten them down evenly and then use the drum key. Just as you do, I always adjust from habit the tension knob with the snares off. Figured it might make a difference. Thanks for the advice!