Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Drumming Since 1943

Like Dale says- smooth, reliable and built like a tank.
    Way Too Much Crap

2. The Hardware Guy

Thanks for the replies. Lots of love for these pedals, not only here but throughout the industry you can see just by how many are using them, despite not being DW endorsers, or endorsing a different company but still choosing to use DW's pedals.

I'm not saying I'm going to change my 1000's, which I think are still lovely pedals, but just food for thought. What I like/d about my 1000's is they are simple pedals - they don't have all these multitudes of adjustment in terms of cam/profile, etc. Beater angle, tension and strap or chain drive is about it. I don't even use the Powershifter footboard adjustment. I decided at time I was testing pedals I didn't need the additional features Elims would give me, and I'm not even sure I'd need the profile adjustment the DW's give. In a way, I'd love to get a pair of the basic Camco pedals and just use those - if they're good enough for Gene Hoglan to do what he does - and man, does he do what he does! - then they'd be good enough for me. But I'd be really interested to pit the 9000's alongside my Pearl's to see/feel the difference.
    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

3. ...A mind like Water...

I have owned, and repaired, and taken apart every major brand of high end pedal on the market. EXCEPT for the following: DW Machined series, Trick and custom company pedals.

The DW 9000's are the most well built, tightest fit, and heaviest-duty of any of the other brands. I also own Pearl Eliminators and owned Demon drives for months. The 9000's are better TO ME. The Pearl's however, are easily repairable, have easily replaceable parts, and have a liftime warranty. DW does not have those things.

Taking apart the 9000's are very hard, minus a few pieces like the spring rocker mechanism and bearings. Pearl pedals come completely apart easily with a drum key, and an Allen wrench.

I keep my Pearl's because they are great pedals, can be made to feel like any other pedal and have a lifetime warranty!
    Looking for SMX toms in Marine Blue Fade or Carbon Mist!

4. Registered User

Not trying to sound like a a-H here but if they are so high end why do they need repaired all the time?

5. ...A mind like Water...

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    Not trying to sound like a a-H here but if they are so high end why do they need repaired all the time?
    Well, I specifically seeked out damaged pedals on Reverb. Also a pair of 8000s which I repaired and made like new. DW 9000s are rock solid man. They just are....They are so tanked up it's not even funny.

6. ...A mind like Water...

Quote Originally Posted by hipodilski View Post
    DW9000s have bearings on both the posts and the cam, which makes the shaft totally floating and gives a very specific light feel, which many people seem to like. Personally I don't care for that light feel, and also can't stand DW pedals because their footboards are really short and I have big feet, but it's a very subjective preference, and I can totally see why people like them.
    Not to be a meanie beanie, but I don't think the DW's have a light feel. I think it's just ultra SMOOTH!

7. a.k.a. YtseJam

Call it whatever you want, I just don't like them.

8. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

I don't like them either. But that's probably more of an endorsement for them, considering I like heavy, gritty pedals.

9. ...A mind like Water...

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    I don't like them either. But that's probably more of an endorsement for them, considering I like heavy, gritty pedals.
    Yeah, which can make sense because these are heavy, SMOOTH and buttery pedals.

In all seriousness. The bearing rocker is so smooth that it can cause some fight when you hit another stroke. It takes a bit of getting used to, but then once you do I feel like it can be a very enjoyable and reliable pedal.

10. Registered User

I for one have never had to work on a DW 9000 , it has been rock solid . The Pearl is the same it has been trouble free! Working on Petals at a gig is not my idea of fun. I was in a band with an elevator repairman years ago He always said bring a back up petal and snare and leave a spare in the band trailer. My dw9000 has been great, My other Rule is don't drink and spill beer on hardware
    WANTED MMX DIAMOND BURST 13"x 10" -could swap 14x12 PM ME

or masters premium

Ready for Spring