Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Opinions on New Exports vs Decade/Other Kits

Anyone care to comment on the new Exports, doesn't seem to be a lot of threads on the new kits?

I haven't played in 4 or 5 years, just looking at getting back into it (just playing at home, maybe a band later), weighing up options on either a new Export kit (with hardware), Decade kit (with hardware) or older Session/Masters if I can find a set.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Chris_D; 02-03-2018 at 11:41 PM.
    Check out my sig!
    It will soon have all the details about my drums, hardware, cymbals, band name, purchases, future purchases, possible future purchases I could very well be easily talked into, a *URL*, my dreams, my aspirations, what food I like and my favourite colour. Watch this space!

2. NO KIT TOO BIG

Exports are great kits, but the decade is a step up, with all maple shells instead of the poplar and asian mahogany. If you want a new kit, decade is your best bet, but if you're willing to buy a vintage kit, the old masters kits and sessions are great too.
    Pearl, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, NATAL and DW Snares
    Roland, Yamaha and Dauz Electronics, and loads of Percussion

3 Kits and 7 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

3. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    but the decade is a step up, with asian maple shells instead of the poplar and asian mahogany.
    I really wish Pearl and dealers would put correct info on Decade sets .. it fools buyers into thinking they're getting the real deal (Sugar/Rock/Hard Maple) for a cheap price .. 100% Maple? .. 100% ASIAN Maple to be exact .. there is a difference .. one is a true hardwood .. the other is a softwood
    Last edited by BadAstronaut; 02-04-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    80's Pearl G/M series in Emerald Forest WoodDye-10x8, 12x8, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16, 22x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in CherryRoseWine WoodDye-12x8, 13x9, 15x12, 16x14, 18x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in factory Walnut Lacquer - 14x10, 18x16, 22x14, 26x14
    PDP Birch - 10, 14, 22

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    I really wish Pearl and dealers would put correct info on Decade sets .. it fools buyers into thinking they're getting the real deal (Sugar/Rock/Hard Maple) for a cheap price .. 100% Maple? .. 100% ASIAN Maple to be exact .. there is a difference .. one is a true hardwood .. the other is a softwood
    My research shows there are hard maples from one species of tree & ALL other maples are considered soft maple.

Meaning 1 hard maple and 6 or 7 soft maple. The Asian maple just grows faster. I'm assuming that's why it is used. It's cheaper because you can replenish the harvest faster.

There is American soft maple but if your going to pay hard maple prices for soft maple why not look somewhere else.

I don't see it as misleading. If your serious about your purchase then some research is required.

5. Registered User

I guess all I mean is this:

If you price a Decade Maple kit and it's $600

And then price a Masters Maple Complete floor tom and it's is $600

...and you still think they are the same quality.

I know you ( Bad Astro ) know the difference as most of us here do. Anyone else that thinks they are getting a pro level kit at a beginner level price should ask some questions.

Pearl does say in the add " we make a cost efficient maple kit that we've never been able to offer before!"

Or along those lines.

I see it no more misleading than a kit that doesn't come with hardware have hardware in the picture.

6. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    My research shows there are hard maples from one species of tree & ALL other maples are considered soft maple.

Meaning 1 hard maple and 6 or 7 soft maple. The Asian maple just grows faster. I'm assuming that's why it is used. It's cheaper because you can replenish the harvest faster.

There is American soft maple but if your going to pay hard maple prices for soft maple why not look somewhere else.

I don't see it as misleading. If your serious about your purchase then some research is required.
    I already know this. I've been around wood my whole life .. lumber wise and getting my hands dirty cutting down trees .. you didn't need to research Maple just to post a comment explaining what I know

You don't get what I'm sayin' .. it's the principle .. be up front and say what IT IS, not what you want customers to think it is ... they tell you what Exports are made of "6 Ply 7.5mm Poplar/Asian Mahogany Blended Shells" ... do the same for Decade

Maple is just Maple, right? .. Nope .. there's a difference between Sugar/Rock/Hard Maple and soft Maple species

Don't get me wrong Asian Maple sounds pretty good, nothing wrong with it, but it is not on par with REAL Maple ... strength and soundwise it can't compare

I know it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but it's those tiny details that "grind my gears" - Peter Griffin voice
    Last edited by BadAstronaut; 02-04-2018 at 05:34 PM.
    80's Pearl G/M series in Emerald Forest WoodDye-10x8, 12x8, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16, 22x16, 24x14
    80's Pearl G/M series in CherryRoseWine WoodDye-12x8, 13x9, 15x12, 16x14, 18x16, 24x14
    PDP Birch - 10, 14, 22

7. Registered User

I already know this. I've been around wood my whole life .. lumber wise and getting my hands dirty cutting down trees .. you didn't need to research Maple just to post a comment explaining what I know You don't get what I'm sayin' .. it's the principle .. be up front and say what IT IS, not what you want customers to think it is ... they tell you what Exports are made of "6 Ply 7.5mm Poplar/Asian Mahogany Blended Shells" ... do the same for Decade Maple is just Maple, right? .. Nope .. there's a difference between Sugar/Rock/Hard Maple and soft Maple species Don't get me wrong Asian Maple sounds pretty good, nothing wrong with it, but it is not on par with REAL Maple ... strength and soundwise it can't compare I know it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but it's those tiny details that "grind my gears" - Peter Griffin voice
    Sir Astronaut, I didn't mean any of it directed at you. I know you know all of that. Your the one that gives me all the info anyway. I just researched for me. And I also knew you where referring to the ad and not the wood.

I was really researching the difference in soft maple only. Trying to see if the Asian maple was the worst- lest dense of all the soft maples.

Turns out all soft maples are pretty close in density with each other.

As far as the add goes All Maple does grab ones attention, but Pearl never claims " top of the line" maple. Or " now at reduced price "

It just says All Maple. And they are all maple aren't they?

I don't think Pearl is even trying to be misleading. The price reflects that.

I apologize if you or any reader thought I was trying to set you straight. Again you know way more about drum " stuff" than I do.

8. SUPREME MODULATOR

I already know this. I've been around wood my whole life .. lumber wise and getting my hands dirty cutting down trees .. you didn't need to research Maple just to post a comment explaining what I know

You don't get what I'm sayin' .. it's the principle .. be up front and say what IT IS, not what you want customers to think it is ... they tell you what Exports are made of "6 Ply 7.5mm Poplar/Asian Mahogany Blended Shells" ... do the same for Decade

Maple is just Maple, right? .. Nope .. there's a difference between Sugar/Rock/Hard Maple and soft Maple species

Don't get me wrong Asian Maple sounds pretty good, nothing wrong with it, but it is not on par with REAL Maple ... strength and soundwise it can't compare

I know it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but it's those tiny details that "grind my gears" - Peter Griffin voice
    Have you considered that rather than this "misrepresentation" being the exception it is actually the norm? Think about it...when maple first became a selling point companies made very sure to say "rock" or "sugar" or "hard" or "north american"....all the same of course. But somewhere in all of this some companies just started saying "maple" and no one questioned it. While many of these "maple" kits are surely sugar maple im certain many...including "high end" kits are not. Not only is there no requirement for makers to be 100% accurate in their disclosure there is no way to really confirm one way or the other. Its like the mcdonalds burger...100% pure beef. Yes the drums may be 100% maple and yes the outer and inner plies may be hard maple but the core plies can be called damned near anything they want call them.

And what does it really matter? Specific species has little to do with sound. Now wait...yes density hardness mass...yeah yeah yeah that matters but but by the time you lay up the plies pump them full of glue and apply a finish the subtle variations in wood means a lot less than you might think. If you have a series of drums that are well made, durable, tune up well, and look good then it really doesnt matter what theyre made of unless you are paying for one one thing but getting something else.
    That isnt the case with decade maple. If they were called ten year birch they would look and perform exactly the same.

9. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Now I feel old .. haha .. I should be calling you Sir ..Sir Rocker that is .. you're older than I am ..

anyway, If what I wrote offended you in any way don't take it that way .. not my intent .. it's all good .. it was just one of those days .. sorry if my response was influenced by that .. like I said it's the little details that "grind my gears"

Sure they say 100% Maple shells .. but like the export description they put that "Asian" in there .. most people think the word Mahogany means African Mahogany .. when it's a broad term used for Asian lumber "luann" that isn't even a true Mahogany .. LOL .. just put the "Asian" next to Maple is all I ask .. they did it for Export .. so by default they should do it for Decade ... end rant
    Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    Sir Astronaut, I didn't mean any of it directed at you. I know you know all of that. Your the one that gives me all the info anyway. I just researched for me. And I also knew you where referring to the ad and not the wood.

I was really researching the difference in soft maple only. Trying to see if the Asian maple was the worst- lest dense of all the soft maples.

Turns out all soft maples are pretty close in density with each other.

As far as the add goes All Maple does grab ones attention, but Pearl never claims " top of the line" maple. Or " now at reduced price "

It just says All Maple. And they are all maple aren't they?

I don't think Pearl is even trying to be misleading. The price reflects that.

I apologize if you or any reader thought I was trying to set you straight. Again you know way more about drum " stuff" than I do.
    PDP Birch - 10, 14, 22

10. Rockin' the Cosmos..

I agree .. I know this ..I'll be first to tell you that in the grand scheme of things what a shell is made of plays such a small role in a drums sound .. IMO it's all about the bearing edges, the shell thickness and of course heads and tuning .. But as you know a Hardwood will make a drum shell resonate better than a Softwood .. your last line struck a chord with me .. I owned an MMX and played a lot on a friends MBX .. one was 4 ply Maple w/re-rings .. other was 4 ply Birch w/re-rings .. guess what? Same heads, same tuning and they sounded exactly the same .. Pearl axed the MBX saying not being cost effective and other mumbo jumbo, but I believe they were selling more MBX's than MMX's and people caught on that they sounded the same, but you could buy the MBX much cheaper
    Quote Originally Posted by PYRRHO View Post
    Have you considered that rather than this "misrepresentation" being the exception it is actually the norm? Think about it...when maple first became a selling point companies made very sure to say "rock" or "sugar" or "hard" or "north american"....all the same of course. But somewhere in all of this some companies just started saying "maple" and no one questioned it. While many of these "maple" kits are surely sugar maple im certain many...including "high end" kits are not. Not only is there no requirement for makers to be 100% accurate in their disclosure there is no way to really confirm one way or the other. Its like the mcdonalds burger...100% pure beef. Yes the drums may be 100% maple and yes the outer and inner plies may be hard maple but the core plies can be called damned near anything they want call them.

And what does it really matter? Specific species has little to do with sound. Now wait...yes density hardness mass...yeah yeah yeah that matters but but by the time you lay up the plies pump them full of glue and apply a finish the subtle variations in wood means a lot less than you might think. If you have a series of drums that are well made, durable, tune up well, and look good then it really doesnt matter what theyre made of unless you are paying for one one thing but getting something else.
    That isnt the case with decade maple. If they were called ten year birch they would look and perform exactly the same.
    PDP Birch - 10, 14, 22

11. Registered User

Not taken that way at all. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't offended you. I addressed you as Sir as a sign of respect. Good day and thanks for all of your help to me and others on the forum.